K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABS complication

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
buckles
Brick Rider


Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 33
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: ABS complication Reply with quote

Hi, I have been trying to sort the ABS on my 1999 K1100LT which has ABS II. The bike had been stored for 9 years before I bought it 3 months ago but used occasionally and covered about 2,000 kms.
I have bled all the brakes following advice on this forum and the brakes work very well.
I have the alternating flashing ABS lights and I bought a Motronic diagnostic tester to try to identify the problem. I have 6 flashes which is ABS relay according to the instructions with the unit. I think my bike only has one ABS relay and it is a small one in the relay box. I now have 2 replacement relays which are the same part number.
I changed the relay but the tester still gave 6 flashes. I then reset the system by earthing the middle pin for 30 seconds. After I did this twice the lights flashed together. I then went for a ride and the ABS lights went out for about 5 kms. I then tested the ABS at about 30 km/h a couple of times and I think it worked once momentarily. Then the ABS lights started flashing alternately and when I stopped the ABS unit was pumping and I had to disconnect the battery to stop it. Even pulling the relay did not stop the pumping. After 30 minutes I reconnected the battery and the pump was still running continually.
I quickly rode home which was only ten minutes away and again disconnected the battery.
Besides the instructions for the Motronic tester which I think were from Bas Zelf I have the notes on Motronic fault codes from Mick McKinnon. In Mick McKinnon's notes he refers to 6 flashes as the ABS relay in ABS Hydro Unit.
Any advice on what I can do next would be appreciated.
_________________
Ian, owner of:-
1999 K1100 LT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Inge K.
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 30 Apr 2011
Posts: 458
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ABSII you find the second relay under a cover beside the pump at the modulator.

Realoem.

Inge K.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 12 Jun 2006
Posts: 440
Location: in the boonies, northwest of Columbus, Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly check the battery voltage. Every ABS problem I've had has been either bad battery connections or low battery voltage.
_________________
'02 - GL1800


The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Inge K.
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 30 Apr 2011
Posts: 458
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whyoldbill wrote:
I would certainly check the battery voltage. Every ABS problem I've had has been either bad battery connections or low battery voltage.

Then a 5 flash fault code would be revealed, and not a 6 flash.

inge K.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buckles
Brick Rider


Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 33
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have left this problem for a few days because I have had visitors.
Thanks for the help so far. I have gained access to the relay at the ABS11 hydro unit and I see that I will have to undo 2 torx screws to undo it. These screws are painted over in white presumably in the factory.
I was hoping to check before I undo these screws. Is it likely that this relay is the cause of the ABS pump running constantly?

I am hoping that I eventually won't need to scrap the entire ABS system.
_________________
Ian, owner of:-
1999 K1100 LT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 3128
Location: Central Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That relay inside the plastic cover should be what energizes the pump motor as it's a high current relay.

If you have a DC voltage meter you could check to see if the relay is being powered to energize the motor of if it's just stuck causing the motor to run.
_________________
Ride safe.



1997 K1100LT 0302488
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1995 K1100LT 0302044(R.I.P.)
1997 R1100RT ZC62149(sold)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group