| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
buckles Brick Rider
Joined: 03 Dec 2011 Posts: 33 Location: Adelaide, South Australia
|
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:10 am Post subject: ABS complication |
|
|
Hi, I have been trying to sort the ABS on my 1999 K1100LT which has ABS II. The bike had been stored for 9 years before I bought it 3 months ago but used occasionally and covered about 2,000 kms.
I have bled all the brakes following advice on this forum and the brakes work very well.
I have the alternating flashing ABS lights and I bought a Motronic diagnostic tester to try to identify the problem. I have 6 flashes which is ABS relay according to the instructions with the unit. I think my bike only has one ABS relay and it is a small one in the relay box. I now have 2 replacement relays which are the same part number.
I changed the relay but the tester still gave 6 flashes. I then reset the system by earthing the middle pin for 30 seconds. After I did this twice the lights flashed together. I then went for a ride and the ABS lights went out for about 5 kms. I then tested the ABS at about 30 km/h a couple of times and I think it worked once momentarily. Then the ABS lights started flashing alternately and when I stopped the ABS unit was pumping and I had to disconnect the battery to stop it. Even pulling the relay did not stop the pumping. After 30 minutes I reconnected the battery and the pump was still running continually.
I quickly rode home which was only ten minutes away and again disconnected the battery.
Besides the instructions for the Motronic tester which I think were from Bas Zelf I have the notes on Motronic fault codes from Mick McKinnon. In Mick McKinnon's notes he refers to 6 flashes as the ABS relay in ABS Hydro Unit.
Any advice on what I can do next would be appreciated. _________________ Ian, owner of:-
1999 K1100 LT |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Inge K. Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 Posts: 458 Location: Norway
|
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:08 am Post subject: |
|
|
On ABSII you find the second relay under a cover beside the pump at the modulator.
Realoem.
Inge K. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
whyoldbill Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 12 Jun 2006 Posts: 440 Location: in the boonies, northwest of Columbus, Ohio
|
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:33 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I would certainly check the battery voltage. Every ABS problem I've had has been either bad battery connections or low battery voltage. _________________ '02 - GL1800
The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Inge K. Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 Posts: 458 Location: Norway
|
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:07 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| whyoldbill wrote: | | I would certainly check the battery voltage. Every ABS problem I've had has been either bad battery connections or low battery voltage. |
Then a 5 flash fault code would be revealed, and not a 6 flash.
inge K. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
buckles Brick Rider
Joined: 03 Dec 2011 Posts: 33 Location: Adelaide, South Australia
|
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:29 am Post subject: |
|
|
I have left this problem for a few days because I have had visitors.
Thanks for the help so far. I have gained access to the relay at the ABS11 hydro unit and I see that I will have to undo 2 torx screws to undo it. These screws are painted over in white presumably in the factory.
I was hoping to check before I undo these screws. Is it likely that this relay is the cause of the ABS pump running constantly?
I am hoping that I eventually won't need to scrap the entire ABS system. _________________ Ian, owner of:-
1999 K1100 LT |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Scott_Anderson Site Admin
Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 3128 Location: Central Iowa, USA
|
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 am Post subject: |
|
|
That relay inside the plastic cover should be what energizes the pump motor as it's a high current relay.
If you have a DC voltage meter you could check to see if the relay is being powered to energize the motor of if it's just stuck causing the motor to run. _________________ Ride safe.
1997 K1100LT 0302488
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1995 K1100LT 0302044(R.I.P.)
1997 R1100RT ZC62149(sold) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|