K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major Pre-Ride Checklist

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Major Pre-Ride Checklist Reply with quote

Had some free time this morning so I decided to come up with an orderly, complete pre-ride checklist. Something to use when going out for a multi-day long ride or for a bike that has been put up for a while.

Here it is:

Forks clean
Axle hardware tight
Front tire pressure
Inspect front tread
Front brake pads
Front brake fluid
Rear brake fluid
Coolant reservoir
Engine oil
Added: Bellhousing weep hole
Transmission oil
Final drive Oil
Rear tire pressure
Inspect rear tread
Rear lugs bolts
Rear brake pads
Added: Swing arm/FD bearings
Clutch adjusted and smooth
Both brake/switches & brake light
Fuel level
Switches, controls, lights, horn
Throttle adjusted and smooth
Throttlebody synch
Frame, shock, header, bar end bolts

Did I miss anything? (I consciously chose to omit the battery since I use Odyssey batteries and always keep my bikes on battery tenders when not in use.)

(I'll eventually move this over to the Tech Stickies.)
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE


Last edited by Flying Duck on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BMGraeme
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 373
Location: Marlborough, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an essential spares sub list to add to this - what you always take with you on longer rides i.e., spare bulbs, fuses, puncture repair kit, tool roll etc. It will all go in the rear hump.
_________________
1980 CB900FA
1994 K1100RS
2008 R1200GSA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a good list, one thing I regularly check is a quick wipe of the hole below the clutch for first signs of a weeping seal after a ride when the motor is HOT.
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMGraeme wrote:
How about an essential spares sub list to add to this - what you always take with you on longer rides i.e., spare bulbs, fuses, puncture repair kit, tool roll etc. It will all go in the rear hump.


That's a good idea as well but probably best in it's own thread.
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malcolmt wrote:
Its a good list, one thing I regularly check is a quick wipe of the hole below the clutch for first signs of a weeping seal after a ride when the motor is HOT.


Good one. Thanks. I added it to the list.

Not sure why the engine has to be hot though. The oil will still be there after the bike has cooled or may even leave a drip on the garage floor.
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
malcolmt wrote:
Its a good list, one thing I regularly check is a quick wipe of the hole below the clutch for first signs of a weeping seal after a ride when the motor is HOT.


Good one. Thanks. I added it to the list.

Not sure why the engine has to be hot though. The oil will still be there after the bike has cooled or may even leave a drip on the garage floor.


This is more of a post run check, its unlikly its going to leak while standing. So I check mine while its warm...before washing the bike down.
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Posts: 732
Location: Robesonia, PA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to do things like check every bolt to make sure it is tight. I will also clean the cables and wires with armor all externally, but getting that close to things can often lead the eyes to issues that need to be dealt with. I also make sure all my lighting is good. I do not ride much at night around home, but on a long trip all I have is the bike, so I do not want to get caught flat footed.
_________________
1997 K1100LT
1975 R75/6

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 10102
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a couple more things this morning:

Check the swing arm and FD bearings for free play
Added header nuts to bolts to check

I don't have the patience to check every bolt on the bike so I just worry about the important ones.
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea..which is more of a post ride check is a quick look over the spares and tools we carry. I've had a couple of instances where stuff self destructed in the seat tail... a torch fell to bits once, an air compressor vibrated open, rubber solution for my tyre plugs burst.

I now check once I'm home so hassles can be fixed before the next outing.
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group