| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:03 pm Post subject: Major Pre-Ride Checklist |
|
|
Had some free time this morning so I decided to come up with an orderly, complete pre-ride checklist. Something to use when going out for a multi-day long ride or for a bike that has been put up for a while.
Here it is:
Forks clean
Axle hardware tight
Front tire pressure
Inspect front tread
Front brake pads
Front brake fluid
Rear brake fluid
Coolant reservoir
Engine oil
Added: Bellhousing weep hole
Transmission oil
Final drive Oil
Rear tire pressure
Inspect rear tread
Rear lugs bolts
Rear brake pads
Added: Swing arm/FD bearings
Clutch adjusted and smooth
Both brake/switches & brake light
Fuel level
Switches, controls, lights, horn
Throttle adjusted and smooth
Throttlebody synch
Frame, shock, header, bar end bolts
Did I miss anything? (I consciously chose to omit the battery since I use Odyssey batteries and always keep my bikes on battery tenders when not in use.)
(I'll eventually move this over to the Tech Stickies.) _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Last edited by Flying Duck on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm; edited 3 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BMGraeme Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 14 Mar 2006 Posts: 373 Location: Marlborough, United Kingdom
|
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:29 pm Post subject: |
|
|
How about an essential spares sub list to add to this - what you always take with you on longer rides i.e., spare bulbs, fuses, puncture repair kit, tool roll etc. It will all go in the rear hump. _________________ 1980 CB900FA
1994 K1100RS
2008 R1200GSA |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Its a good list, one thing I regularly check is a quick wipe of the hole below the clutch for first signs of a weeping seal after a ride when the motor is HOT. _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:44 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| BMGraeme wrote: | | How about an essential spares sub list to add to this - what you always take with you on longer rides i.e., spare bulbs, fuses, puncture repair kit, tool roll etc. It will all go in the rear hump. |
That's a good idea as well but probably best in it's own thread. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:47 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| malcolmt wrote: | | Its a good list, one thing I regularly check is a quick wipe of the hole below the clutch for first signs of a weeping seal after a ride when the motor is HOT. |
Good one. Thanks. I added it to the list.
Not sure why the engine has to be hot though. The oil will still be there after the bike has cooled or may even leave a drip on the garage floor. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Flying Duck wrote: | | malcolmt wrote: | | Its a good list, one thing I regularly check is a quick wipe of the hole below the clutch for first signs of a weeping seal after a ride when the motor is HOT. |
Good one. Thanks. I added it to the list.
Not sure why the engine has to be hot though. The oil will still be there after the bike has cooled or may even leave a drip on the garage floor. |
This is more of a post run check, its unlikly its going to leak while standing. So I check mine while its warm...before washing the bike down. _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
John Clauss Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Posts: 732 Location: Robesonia, PA
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:20 am Post subject: |
|
|
I like to do things like check every bolt to make sure it is tight. I will also clean the cables and wires with armor all externally, but getting that close to things can often lead the eyes to issues that need to be dealt with. I also make sure all my lighting is good. I do not ride much at night around home, but on a long trip all I have is the bike, so I do not want to get caught flat footed. _________________ 1997 K1100LT
1975 R75/6
It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I added a couple more things this morning:
Check the swing arm and FD bearings for free play
Added header nuts to bolts to check
I don't have the patience to check every bolt on the bike so I just worry about the important ones. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
malcolmt Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 23 Apr 2007 Posts: 369 Location: Parys, S.Africa
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Another idea..which is more of a post ride check is a quick look over the spares and tools we carry. I've had a couple of instances where stuff self destructed in the seat tail... a torch fell to bits once, an air compressor vibrated open, rubber solution for my tyre plugs burst.
I now check once I'm home so hassles can be fixed before the next outing. _________________ ******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
****************************** |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|