| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Moondog Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 09 Oct 2004 Posts: 670 Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia
|
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:16 pm Post subject: Can't register Garmin 2730 |
|
|
So I score a Garmin 2730 on Flea-bay and I go to update the maps and find that it is previously registered and I can't update it. I shoot off an e-mail to who I bought it ooff of and then one to Garmin. What happens if this guy won't unregister it or can't because stolen goods or he's the 4th or 5th owner down the line? Will Garmin unlock it or leave me hanging.
And don't come back saying I should have bought a Zumo. Too expensive for my blood.  _________________ "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!
I like the social aspect of riding. Rally's, socializing, drinking beer, fartin' and carrying on.
2004 R1150RS
1996 K1100RS (moved on to new home) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Jim Site Admin

Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 3841 Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS
|
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:21 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Garmin will probably charge you $75.00 to register it. That's all... _________________ Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000
"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Moondog Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 09 Oct 2004 Posts: 670 Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia
|
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:54 am Post subject: |
|
|
No money charged but it took the seller a number of phone calls, e-mails and etc along with me doing the same. I was on the phone last night for 48 minutes, waiting for 44 to talk with someone. A few details from me and a look at prior actions and the GPS was free to register. Some action on Garmins end wasn't getting through so it needed a push. _________________ "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!
I like the social aspect of riding. Rally's, socializing, drinking beer, fartin' and carrying on.
2004 R1150RS
1996 K1100RS (moved on to new home) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RAL88 Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 736 Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA
|
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Interesting that this comes up now. I bought a 2820 off of e-bay in 2008 and just two days ago looked at updating the maps. When I went to update it told me it was registered to someone else and I could not update it. I called Garmin and they told me that they had the previous owners e-mail and that they would send him a note to verify that it had been sold. Today I got an e-mail from garmin that the PO replied back and that it was verified and that I can go ahead and register it and update the maps. Except for the 20 minute wait to get to a live person they were very helpful. I guess these are the challenges of buying on e-bay as it could have gone in the other direction if the PO did not get back to them. _________________ Rich
"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
*************
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Jim Site Admin

Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 3841 Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS
|
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:44 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Guess I'll have to call Garmin back... A friend gave me his old SP III - Garmin told me I would have to pay $75.00 to register it. Guess the agent I talked with was having a bad day... _________________ Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000
"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed." |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Moondog Flying Brick Rider
Joined: 09 Oct 2004 Posts: 670 Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia
|
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:36 pm Post subject: |
|
|
don't let them charge you. _________________ "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!
I like the social aspect of riding. Rally's, socializing, drinking beer, fartin' and carrying on.
2004 R1150RS
1996 K1100RS (moved on to new home) |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RAL88 Flying Brick Rider

Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 736 Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA
|
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Just downloaded 2011 maps. I just paid for the maps no registration charge. _________________ Rich
"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
*************
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|