K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't register Garmin 2730

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Moondog
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 09 Oct 2004
Posts: 670
Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Can't register Garmin 2730 Reply with quote

So I score a Garmin 2730 on Flea-bay and I go to update the maps and find that it is previously registered and I can't update it. I shoot off an e-mail to who I bought it ooff of and then one to Garmin. What happens if this guy won't unregister it or can't because stolen goods or he's the 4th or 5th owner down the line? Will Garmin unlock it or leave me hanging.

And don't come back saying I should have bought a Zumo. Too expensive for my blood. Smile
_________________
"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!

I like the social aspect of riding. Rally's, socializing, drinking beer, fartin' and carrying on. Smile

2004 R1150RS
1996 K1100RS (moved on to new home)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jim
Site Admin


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 3841
Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin will probably charge you $75.00 to register it. That's all...
_________________
Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Moondog
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 09 Oct 2004
Posts: 670
Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No money charged but it took the seller a number of phone calls, e-mails and etc along with me doing the same. I was on the phone last night for 48 minutes, waiting for 44 to talk with someone. A few details from me and a look at prior actions and the GPS was free to register. Some action on Garmins end wasn't getting through so it needed a push.
_________________
"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!

I like the social aspect of riding. Rally's, socializing, drinking beer, fartin' and carrying on. Smile

2004 R1150RS
1996 K1100RS (moved on to new home)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RAL88
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 28 Apr 2004
Posts: 736
Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that this comes up now. I bought a 2820 off of e-bay in 2008 and just two days ago looked at updating the maps. When I went to update it told me it was registered to someone else and I could not update it. I called Garmin and they told me that they had the previous owners e-mail and that they would send him a note to verify that it had been sold. Today I got an e-mail from garmin that the PO replied back and that it was verified and that I can go ahead and register it and update the maps. Except for the 20 minute wait to get to a live person they were very helpful. I guess these are the challenges of buying on e-bay as it could have gone in the other direction if the PO did not get back to them.
_________________
Rich

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
*************
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jim
Site Admin


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 3841
Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll have to call Garmin back... A friend gave me his old SP III - Garmin told me I would have to pay $75.00 to register it. Guess the agent I talked with was having a bad day...
_________________
Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000 - still has gremlins!
1995 R100RT Classic 16,650 crashed - repaired!
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Moondog
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 09 Oct 2004
Posts: 670
Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't let them charge you.
_________________
"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!

I like the social aspect of riding. Rally's, socializing, drinking beer, fartin' and carrying on. Smile

2004 R1150RS
1996 K1100RS (moved on to new home)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RAL88
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 28 Apr 2004
Posts: 736
Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded 2011 maps. I just paid for the maps no registration charge.
_________________
Rich

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
*************
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group