K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical mod: Start/run in neutral with side stand down

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Electrical mod: Start/run in neutral with side stand down Reply with quote

For years I've had my bikes set up to run with the side stand down by shorting the side stand switch connector and then hooking the side stand switch to a flashing LED in the dash as a visual reminder. This works OK but sometimes I look at the road, don't notice the LED and still forget to put the side stand up when I ride off. Usually it's not a big deal as the side stand will scrape and/or kick back up by itself but if you forget and take a harder left turn it gets a bit awkward.

So I decided to do something a bit more foolproof(a.k.a. duckproof) so that the bike will only run with the side stand down if the bike is in neutral or the clutch is pulled in.

For the 94 and later bikes this requires a normally open relay. I use 12V PCB relays since they only cost $1 and are nice and small.

Here's how I make the relays. I use them for all sorts of stuff:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/wprelays/wp.relay.htm

If you use a normal Bosch relay you would connect it up like this:

86 : Tap into black/green wire from right combo switch connector (Pin 6)
85 : Ground
30 : Ground
87 : Tap into green/yellow of side stand switch

The black/green wire sends power to the start button if the bike is in neutral or the clutch is pulled in.

The green/yellow wire from the side stand switch sends ground to the Motronic and starter relays.

Note that the above only works for 94 and later bikes.

For 93 and earlier bikes it's much easier. Just tap into the black/green wire from the right combo switch and tap that wire into the green/red wire of the side stand switch. That green/red wire sends 12V to the Motronic relay.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE

Last edited by Flying Duck on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:21 am; edited 4 times in total
Mark_C

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - Thanks. Will be doing this soon. I find the stock side stand switch behaviour really annoying on my LT.
AtLarge

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up Duck!
1973 Honda CL70-K3, 1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C, 1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1, 1994 BMW K1100RS, 2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Mark_C

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had a go at this mod today and despite double checking everything it doesn’t seem to have worked quite as I expected.

With the side stand down, ignition on but engine not running all seems well. Fuel pump fires up briefly as normal if the bike is put in neutral or if it is in gear with the clutch pulled in. There is no fuel pump activity if in gear and the clutch is out. That is what I would expect after this mod.

However, if the engine is actually running and the side stand is down, if I then put the bike into gear and release the clutch the bike continues to run. I would have expected it to cut out.

I notice the starter button on my bike engages the starter motor even when the engine is running. Perhaps this is my problem?

Any idea what might be causing this? Just to confirm this is on a 96 K1100LT

Mark
Mark_C

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore my last post it’s all working fine now. My clutch switch was playing up causing some confusion in my testing. A squirt of contact cleaner seems to have sorted it for now.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: