K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Squeezed One Lever Worth Of Brake Fluid Out Of The Line

View previous topic :: View next topic  
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: I Squeezed One Lever Worth Of Brake Fluid Out Of The Line Reply with quote

where it swivels to change the angle at the bottom of the master cylinder...

i noticed the brake line was rubbing down in the tripple tree area... eventhough i got the plastic tube over it i though i would losten the nut and change the angle...

well i did loosen it up and change the angle but then i decided to adjust angle of the levers on the bar and out of nowhere i squeezed the lever with the nut still loose...

it squited 1 squirt out on my misaligned bagster... i thought ch1t i need to tighten that nut before i release the lever but my vise grips were too far away... i had to release the lever...

so i tightened it up and squeezed the lever and it was soft and went all the way to the grip... but on the second squeeze it felt like it always has... so i buzzed across the parking at about 30mph had had good frontal brakes and a good lever...

im thinking im ok... it was just 1 squirt... what do you think...

thanks...

j o
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

I'm thinking it was just one little squirt. Not sure I figured out what the hell you are doing, though. As long as you didn't get any air in the line, and you got the fluid off the Bagster and any painted parts right away (brake fluid eats paint faster and better than paint stripper), you should be OK. You can always add fluid - there are four little screws on top of the master cylinder.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps my situation was demonstrated in greater detail than necessary resulting in a loss of clarity...

i was concerned with releasing the lever and sucking air into the line more than anything...

i had a bottle of bruichladdich islay legacy ser II with me so i washed off the brake fluid with that...

j o
Don Sproule
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: One lever worth of brake fluid Reply with quote

I've often said that Scotch is best suited for cleaning dirty motorcycle parts but I never thought of using it to clean brake fluid. What would you use to get rid of the smell?

Don Sproule
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would only suck air in if the top was off the mc and there was no fluid in it.

When's the last time you bled the brakes anyway, eh?
1992 K75RTP 46,000

Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: One lever worth of brake fluid Reply with quote

What smell? If it was Scotch - especially a good Scotch - wouldn't you just lick it off?

Don Sproule wrote:
I've often said that Scotch is best suited for cleaning dirty motorcycle parts but I never thought of using it to clean brake fluid. What would you use to get rid of the smell?

Don Sproule

1992 K75RTP 46,000

Das Boot
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.O.

I am guessing you loosened the bango fitting to reposition the front brake line? If the level in the sight glass is still ok, with the bike on the centerstand and the bars turned max left you should be fine. However, I would bleed the fronts anyway. A bottle of Dot 4 brake fluid at 3 or 4 dollars and 15 minutes worth of work is worth the piece of mind. The front master cylinder is a weak design as it is. Keeping fresh fluid through them and a little light grease or silicone on the outer piston end will help its life and maybe yours Very Happy For whats its worth, you don't need speed bleeders or a mity vac. A piece of tubing that fits over the bleeders thats around a foot long and a 11mm box wrench and a phillips screw driver to take off the 4 screws at the top cylinder is about it.

Just make sure the level in the master cylinder is at least 1/4 filled at all times while you are bleeding, otherwise you will suck air in. Normally, I simply loosen a bleeder with the tube on it to flow into a cup and watch the slow drip at the bottom and slowly keep filling the top. Stop when its clean and then go to the other side and do the same. Do not work the brake lever while doing this or you will suck air into the lines and have to start over. If they do not want to bleed themselves. Then get a helper and do it the old fashioned way. Have a person to work the lever and a person to loosen and tighten the bleeder at the bottom. Put a towel around the master cylinder to cover everything up. The person at the top pumps the lever a few times and HOLDS the brake lever all the way in while the person at the bottom loosens the bleeder. You will only get a small burst of fluid. Then retighten the bleeder and then the person at the top can release the lever. Refill the master cylinder as needed to keep the fluid at least 1/4 filled and keep repeating until the fluid is clean flowing out of the bleeders.

You probably already know how to bleed brakes Very Happy But thats my thoughts anyway Smile
Large John
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: One lever worth of brake fluid Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
What smell? If it was Scotch - especially a good Scotch - wouldn't you just lick it off?

Don Sproule wrote:

Don Sproule

good scotch? is that an oxymoron like sanitary napkin???

You're never too old to have a happy childhood
Das Boot
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: One lever worth of brake fluid Reply with quote

Large John wrote:
Jim wrote:

Don Sproule wrote:

Don Sproule

good scotch? is that an oxymoron like sanitary napkin???

Wow you guys are a rough crowd Laughing I guess I wont be bringing a bottle of Black Label,Johnny Walker to the "Get Together." I ll be worrying someone might use it to clean the bugs off their wind shield Laughing Maybe Barenjager and Jagermeister instead, some "Killer Bee's" would be nice fireside warmers.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: ???? Reply with quote

Yew!!! Do I need to lock this thread???

"good scotch? is that an oxymoron like sanitary napkin???"
1992 K75RTP 46,000

owrstrich
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so im gonna have to bleed them... im thinking it sucked air when i released the lever when that banjo was loose...

i went for a 1 up today and tried the fronts under varying conditions...

im thinking i got some air in there... lever seems the slightest bit soft on 1 squeeze but is better on the 2nd squeeze...

also... i was buzzing the palms to pines highway today and my grips started getting hot... the switch was off... so i tried it forward... backward... middle... no difference... my grips were sometimes warm and sometimes roasting... one of those hummm moments...

during a visual inspection i concluded that 1 of the wires thats soldered to the oem switch had broke off and was touching the other wire completing the circuit...

the more i f with the bug eye brick the more i f it up...

crazy aint it...

j o
Don Sproule
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: I squeezed one.... Reply with quote

The old "better on the second squeeze" is a classic symptom of air in your brakes. Better get bleedin'. You may need to stock up on some Dot 4 and single malt.

Don Sproule
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: One lever worth of brake fluid Reply with quote

Das Boot wrote:
Maybe Barenjager and Jagermeister instead, some "Killer Bee's" would be nice fireside warmers.

I'd say the designated bartender is still up for grabs.

But here's my nominee for our chef!

Shoganai wrote:
Supper is done! Razz

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: