K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

96 K11RS bar back suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonup
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: 96 K11RS bar back suggestions Reply with quote

I'd like some input regarding bar backs for a 1996 K1100 RS:

I'm a 33/34" arm length and coming off a gs got used to the upright position. although i've ridden two other bikes in sport touring position i'd like folks input as to what works best. it seems all the solutions i've seen involve rigging the dash pad/'hubcap.

i may not even need the bar backs after i get used to the bike again but i'd like peoples feedback who use them versus not. I'm also interesting in what alternative bars people have used: i hear & see people with the k75c bars....I wonder if there are other alternative solutions......

thanks in advance for your input.

Ned Beck
Charleston SC
Moondog
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Ned, I can't give you a idea how they ride for me because the bike is a big project now (all torn apart) and I got a leg injury. But I did install the Barbacks and now I am going to have to modify the "dashboard" somehow so the ignition switch is enclosed or just leave it like it is. It looks kind of weird if I leave it so I am going to try and enclose it. I'm sure with some fiberglass I can make up a nice box and extend it down to the switch. I do hear that the K100 "C" handlebar conversion works good also, but have heard some mixed reviews.

I like the social aspect of riding. Rally's, socializing, drinking beer, fartin' and carrying on. Smile

2004 R1150RS
1996 K1100RS (moved on to new home)

Last edited by Moondog on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both C bars and barbacks. Neither lasted on the bike more than a day. The main reason, FOR ME, that they did not work was that I didn't like the feel when riding aggressively because neither the barbacks or C bars allowed to to get leaned into the bike while turning.

What ended up begin best FOR ME was making some mods to my rding posture:

1) Bend at the hips, not at the stomahc which is the natural tendency.

2) When not riding agressively, use your back to remain upright and keep the pressure off of your wrists and hands.

Also, having some sort of throttle lock or installing cruise control also helps as you can sit upright and ride with one hand when just cruising along.

I AM going to put barbacks on my project K75S though. But I don't plan to be riding the crap out of that bike like I do on the RS.

What I was going to do if I'd decided to keep the barbacks was to splice in an igniton switch from a 2 valve K bike and use a dashpad from a K75S.

For C bars, you can actually use the existing dash/ignition setup. Here's how I did it on my K100RS4V which is more or less identical to the K11RS:

86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Frank T
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have C bars on my 1992 K100rs. I think they are very comfortable. I am fairly short with short arms so the standard bars would be a long reach and thus uncomfortable. I ride several times a year in the mountains of North Carolina and I don't think the higher bars detract from the experience. But I don't ride really aggressively on my 600 pound RS, I usually leave that kind of riding to a smaller, lighter bike.

Frank
Decatur, AL
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a bar from an R100. Read about it here:

http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2673

After 2300 miles on owrstrich's Bug-Eyed Black Brick (stock bars), I'm not sure it was worth the expense and effort. The mod is more comfortable, but I got used to the stock pretty quickly.

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: