K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impressions of my Tesla Model Y
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: First impressions of my Tesla Model Y Reply with quote

Friends,

I pulled the trigger & came home with a Tesla Model Y on Dec 30, 2022

HOLY COW !

This car accelerates, corners & brakes comparable to my KLT. It is the first time in my 40 yr driving history that I've come across a car that rivals the performance of my motorcycle.... and I've driven my share of performance cars

HOLY COW !!!! (and I'm not just saying that as a good Hindu)

Sanjiv

Additional facts....

1) I didn't bother with the "performance" upgrade. Instead spent the money on the long range version (330 miles range)

2) Tesla gave me a $7500 cash discount in addition to the government $7500 tax credit which prompted me to get off the fence & order the car. I've been window shopping for over 2 years.

3) Delivery took just two days. I guess Tesla has been getting bad press of late so the hype has died down and the months long backlog has evaporated. Also, much competition from other electric cars although I don't think anyone else is remotely close to Tesla in terms of battery management (I am a materials scientist and understand battery technology). I'm hoping to get 30 years out of this vehicle as my primary driver and I simply don't trust Audi / Mercedes / BMW / Ford / Nissan electric cars to hold up that long.

4) I had no trouble adjusting to the "one pedal" driving .... that too reminds me of my KLT. On uphill sections in aggressive twisties I will typically simply back off on the throttle of my motorcycle to manage corners (rather than brake) ... the Tesla does the same thing even on flat ground ... except it repurposes the kinetic energy into recharging the battery (with remarkable conversion efficiency). You rarely use the brake pedal at all.

5) Did buy the "full autonomous" package ... although have not tried it as yet

6) White leather interior looks bad ass. I can finally consider this since "kids" have left the home.

7) I stuck with the 19" wheels rather than the upgraded 20" or 21" since the ride quality gets rougher as you give up on the air cushion. If I wanted more performance I would have gone for the performance package ... although I think it is kind of useless unless you plan to take this car to the race track.

7) Sound system is phenomenal. Comparable to the best I've heard in an automobile (Audi with Bang & Olufsen audio upgrade).

8 ) Fit and finish is nowhere near that of our 2017 Audi Q7. If that is important to you and you have time then wait 5 years and get an electric Audi. In my opinion it will take that long for them to fix their range and establish battery management advancements. Right now they SUCK. I would have LOVED to buy and Audi e-car but just cant handle their limitations as of today.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Interesting.

What kind of warranty does it come with?
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars? Cars? Cars? I will never willingly buy an electric one. They are the devils incarnation especially as the public charging sites have cottoned onto the profit that can be made. My next door neighbour has a Tesla and on a trip to Glasgow which is around 150 miles from where we live he had to recharge on the way back and had to wait nearly an hour to actually get onto a charging point.

Then when he had charged enough to get home where he has a charging point he discovered to charge his big white elephant cost more than he would have paid to fill up with petrol (gas to you guys) He worked it out that if he had been using petrol he would only have been getting around 22 mpg (Don't forget a UK gallon has a greater volume than the US one).

To add insult to injury he also got a speeding ticket going up and was rear ended on the way back!
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
Thanks. Interesting.

Drake,

They come with 4yr / 50,000 mi warranty.

Being parked in Silicon Valley means that I have tons of friends who have owned Teslas over the last ~10 years. Some of them have three in the family! I have yet to meet a dissatisfied Tesla owner. As such, I was late to the party (at least in my friends circle).

I travel a lot for business and have rented Tesla's and other electric cars (Polestar, Nissan Leaf & Mustang MachE) to make an informed decision. My Audi dealer loaned me an Audi SUV hoping that he would make an easy sale to an existing customer.

For me, the Tesla is the carefully balanced ideal machine.

I honestly expect 30 years of trouble free service from this car with near zero maintenance.

Think about it .... my KLT is already 25 years!

As we all know the Tesla does not need
Engine Oil
Transmission Oil
Engine Coolant
Power Steering fluid

Even the brake pads last 3x that of a regular car because of regenerative braking. I have one buddy (laid back driver) who has logged more than 100K miles on her original brake pads.

With electric cars you basically add windshield wiper fluid & replace tires.

THATS IT Smile

Sanjiv

Last edited by Sonu on Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:
Cars? Cars? Cars? I will never willingly buy an electric one. They are the devils incarnation ....

As stated earlier, I am a good Hindu.

We don't believe in the Devil.

Rebirth? Sure. We keep doing that. And I'd happily buy an electric car in my next life too. Laughing

Sanjiv
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:
Cars? Cars? Cars? I will never willingly buy an electric one. They are the devils incarnation especially as the public charging sites have cottoned onto the profit that can be made. My next door neighbour has a Tesla and on a trip to Glasgow which is around 150 miles from where we live he had to recharge on the way back and had to wait nearly an hour to actually get onto a charging point.

Then when he had charged enough to get home where he has a charging point he discovered to charge his big white elephant cost more than he would have paid to fill up with petrol (gas to you guys) He worked it out that if he had been using petrol he would only have been getting around 22 mpg (Don't forget a UK gallon has a greater volume than the US one).

To add insult to injury he also got a speeding ticket going up and was rear ended on the way back!

Charging locations are a NON-ISSUE in the USA. Tesla superchargers are everywhere. Also, Tesla does not advertise it, but you can charge at any campground that supports RV's and plug into a standard RV charging socket. Car will be fully charged overnight. I spend a lot of time in the great outdoors (camping, rock climbing and nature photography). Availability of charging at RV campgrounds is a huge plus for me.

You can easily sleep in a Tesla Model Y. You can even buy a bedsheet & pillow kit ! The display screen can be set into "campfire mode" and it will keep you toasty warm (or cool) without any fumes.

90% of the time I will be charging at home. Since I have solar panels, charging is free for me. I will not miss gasoline bills.

Speeding tickets can be an issue. My original plan was to buy a red Tesla. SWIMBO talked me out of it and I got a white one with white leather interior. The white interior looks bad ass.

YMMV

Sanjiv
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Tesla -- Autonomous driving Reply with quote

Friends,

Another aspect of the Tesla is FSD

Fully autonomous driving.

I have yet to test this feature but I have multiple friends who are extremely happy with it .... particularly on long distance driving.

I had to take the keys away from my 86 year old Dad. Once I've tested autonomous driving I'm going to evaluate if I can get him back behind the wheel. Fingers crossed....

Sanjiv

P.S. The feature is overpriced IMHO at $15K. If I did not have Dad to think about I would have passed on it.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I looked up the 0-60 for a Tesla Y. - 3.5 which is very impressive for a car.

I still prefer hybrids though. My K bikes use both gas and oil. Laughing
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW have introduced an electric bike for sale in at least Europe and UK. It has a max distance of running without a recharge of 80 miles but will do 80mph, For what is reasonable for a scooter when commuting to and from work, why not reduce the max speed and increase the range. In London you would be lucky to get up to 30 mph.
Apart from that it is hugely pig- ugly and looks like a large Lego toy, but the worst of all it is priced at £14000! My nearest dealer has had one on sale for several months and there has been no interest what so ever.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Electric motorcycles Reply with quote

For electric motorcycles

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
These guys have been around for 10+ years & have a great reputation

https://damon.com/
This is the company that is generating a lot of buzz and excitement. They have just started offering test rides.

If I'm ever in the market for a motorcycle, it will certainly be electric
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonu- good luck with the Tesla. Very interesting.

But as far as Zero motorcycles and reputation, close friends have 2 Zeros, his and hers.

As a background, he is a retired mechanical engineer and is an SAE certified mechanic. He is a very pro-electric vehicle guy but these things are really trying his patience.

Their Zero bikes have been nothing but trouble. Hers was at the dealer (3 hours from their home) for an entire summer. He went to ride his bike to the dealer and could not get it to turn on. There have been several other instances of having to bring one or the other back to the dealer.

I am very aware of his troubles since he has had to borrow my mc trailer multiple times to bring one or both to the dealer.

He recently asked about borrowing my trailer again- want to guess why?

Looks like he is going to get rid of both of them.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Sonu- good luck with the Tesla. Very interesting.

But as far as Zero motorcycles and reputation, close friends have 2 Zeros, his and hers.

Looks like he is going to get rid of both of them.

Thanks so much for correcting my perception.

I'm keeping an eye out on the electric motorcyle market. I think I'll be browsing for ~5 years before I feel comfortable buying one. That's what I did with the Tesla purchase as well.

Sanjiv

I will post a more detailed pros & cons of the Tesla after a couple of months of usage
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: 6 month report Reply with quote

Friends,

I've put ~9000 miles on the Tesla in 6 months & I am blown away by a lot of features including free software updates and autonomous driving. I really can't imagine buying an ICE car ever again.

I delayed this purchase primarily because of charging concerns. Turns out it was a bogus concern.

In my opinion and experience, we do have a robust charging network TODAY with Tesla Superchargers. I've made multiple trips from the San Francisco area (home) to LA area (work). I make it in a single 30 min charging stop while I take a lunch break and stretch my legs. I get free charging so have zero operating costs for the vehicle.

I'm heading up to Seattle area and expect to log a 2000 mile road trip. Happy to provide a trip report if you have specific questions or concerns.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonu wrote:
Flying Duck wrote:
Thanks. Interesting.

Drake,

They come with 4yr / 50,000 mi warranty.

As we all know the Tesla does not need
Engine Oil
Transmission Oil
Engine Coolant
Power Steering fluid

Even the brake pads last 3x that of a regular car because of regenerative braking. I have one buddy (laid back driver) who has logged more than 100K miles on her original brake pads.

With electric cars you basically add windshield wiper fluid & replace tires.

THATS IT Smile

Sanjiv

Add to that good fire prevention installation!

I don't know about what you get over there in the USA but we have had a number of spontaneous fires caused in electric vehicles by the battery packs and there is no real way of extinguishing the conflagration. Extinguish the fire with whatever, foam, sand or even carbon dioxide doesn't work. It may work for a short while then it starts again, the potential heat source to restart the fire is still there in the shape of short circuiting batteries.

Then on the North Sea, off the coast of Holland last month, a car carrier vessel with several hundreds of brand new mixed electric and liquid fueled cars caught fire and it burned out of control for several days.
It wasn't IC engined vehicles that started it off either! It was eventually towed into harbour and the ship will have to be scrapped as a result.

The prices of Vehicle Insurance over here have jumped as well, partly caused by the cost of insuring electric vehicles. These are not my words but come from a department called the Vehicle Insurers Bureau that overlooks various types of insurance risk.

Last edited by Grunter on Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles are the tires warrantied for? I've read that EVs eat tires more quickly due to the weight.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
How many miles are the tires warrantied for? I've read that EVs eat tires more quickly due to the weight.

It may not only be due to the weight but the increase in available torque right from the start when the vehicle is moving off. IC engined vehicles start of with little torque when moving away and as the revs build up both the torque and BHP increase but as the vehicle is already moving the wear on the tyres is minimal.

With electric vehicles it is a case of all the torque is available form the point of moving off and people take advantage of this which increases tyre wear.

It is much the same in the days of steam locomotives. All the high torque was available as soon as the steam was admitted to the cylinders and the greatest wear rate of the wheels and rails occurred when the locomotive was starting off. This could be reduced by a good engine driver, but sadly car drivers do not think of this, or possibly don't realise.

The big no-no for me is the fact that the range of the vast majority of EV's is pitifully poor and to fully recharge takes so much longer than filling a tank with fuel.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:

Hi Drake,

I'm not worried about tire wear.

Just walked down to the car and checked I have 6mm on all tires with even wear. I've logged 15K miles on these tires.

The insane torque will wear out tires sooner than normal if you drive it like you stole it.

I'm very very happy with this car. Drove back from Seattle area (Copalis beach) to home (San Jose, CA). 15 hr drive on auto-pilot with 4 stops (~30 min each) for recharging. This technology is truly disruptive.

I'll make you deal.... If you stop by my place & run one of your magical dash LED updates to my LT, you can borrow the car for a couple of days and try it for yourself. Prepare to be impressed Smile

Sanjiv
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:

The big no-no for me is the fact that the range of the vast majority of EV's is pitifully poor and to fully recharge takes so much longer than filling a tank with fuel.

Hi Grunter,

Charging duration and battery capacity are not as big a problem as the internet may have you think.

Would I like more range and faster charging? Of course !
That said I'm delighted with what I have and would not go back.

In my case I have free charging on the Tesla SuperCharger network. In the time I get a fast food meal the car is always charged. Typically, I'm rushing back to the car so it is not slowing me down. Tesla has done an INCREDIBLE job with the locations of its SuperChargers (almost always near convenient food stops)

Auto pilot is a disruptive game changer.

At home I have free charging thanks to my solar panels.

I dont miss oil changes
I dont miss transmission fluid changes
I dont miss steering fliuid changes
I dont miss engine coolant changes
I dont miss tiiming belts

I like that I can put the car in "CAMP MODE" and sleep in it with the AC running (uses about ~5% of battery capacity overnight)

I like the extra storage space in the front trunk (called a FRUNK)

I was on the fence for TWO YEARS about this purchase because of all the concerns you have (and more). Today, I feel stupid for having waited so long.

Sanjiv
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonu wrote:
Drove back from Seattle area (Copalis beach)

Sanjiv

Rolling Eyes I think your Tesla has a bad GPS. Copalis is well over 100 miles from Seattle.

https://goo.gl/maps/DN9mtNTSEfQmBCy29
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonu wrote:
Grunter wrote:

Hi Grunter,

Charging duration and battery capacity are not as big a problem as the internet may have you think.

Sanjiv

I think my next door neighbour will agree with you. He has a Tesla (not sure of the model.) It is only 10 months old and he reluctantly gave up his company BMW for this new vehicle. In his job as a civil engineer he has to travel regularly from his company base in Newcastle to site offices in Glasgow and elsewhere a total distance which can be in excess of 400 miles He always has to recharge in the way back.

The place he uses away from home is a public charging point on a Motorway (Freeway in the USA). The cost of rapid charging (or whatever you call it) have increased out of all proportion to what the electricity costs and is about the same now as fill up with diesel (always more expensive than 'Gas'). This is down to sheer greed by the charging points.
Apart from the time it takes him to recharge if the charging points are all being used he has to wait. He does have his own charging point on his house.

Yes in theory electric vehicles are a good thing pollution wise - meaning the pollution created by burning fossil fuels, but that does not take into account the pollution created in the manufacture of the vehicles. This has been calculated as being the same as owning a ICE vehicle and driving it for in excess of 100,000 miles.

Then there the problem of the availability of lithium. That cannot be reused and where it is extracted causes immense damage and pollution to the places where this takes place -usually in areas where the population is blighted by the extraction. That is a blatant case of 'out of sight- out of mind'

The way forward is the increased use of hydrogen which to all intents and purposes inexhaustible. with the only waste product being water!

Don't get me started on the other major polluters - heavy lorries, aircraft, large cargo ships they also need to clean up their act.

You may not miss you following
I dont miss oil changes
I dont miss transmission fluid changes
I dont miss steering fliuid changes
I dont miss engine coolant changes
I dont miss tiiming belts

But you do pay a a lot more to buy a new electric vehicle and in the UK anyway the resale price you get from them has plummeted faster than a stone.

(PS I have yet to find a vehicle where power steering fluid has to be changed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: