K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Satisfactory Satnav mount

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Satisfactory Satnav mount Reply with quote

Has anyone ever found a satisfactory place to mount a satnav (GPS) on a K1100LT.

I Have a selection of mounts but some require a slat surface to bolt it to using 4 x 5mm Allen screws or a 'U' shaped clamp that goes around the bars.

But as you all will know the KLT has full width shrouds over the bars and the only flat surface is on the plastic covering behind the screen mounting plate above the radio speakers and that flexes too much. I have even tried reinforcing it with a plate of 1mm alloy front and rear, but on bad roads it still shakes up and down and when it is really bad the device (TomTom Rider) shuts down and i have to re-programme it to get it going again.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done two different K1100LT GPS mounts. One in the center with a custom bracket that I fab'd and another where I just mounted a TomTom XL (made for car use but I took it apart and waterproofed it with silicone) and mounted it with a couple of M4 bolts to the left side of the black panel behind the windscreen. I prefer the left side mounted one but I'm left-handed which makes it very easy to use with the clutch hand.

http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/gpscammount/gps.cam.mount.htm

86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an empty hole on the left switch perch you can use with RAM mounts. That puts the GPS out of the way, but within easy reach.

If I can figure out how to post pictures again... I will.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject: Locating a sat-nav Reply with quote

F D. I have mine mounted in the position you show in the picture you have posted and that is still causing vibration when the road is less than smooth (and we have a few).

I am concerned that if this were to continue it may eventually cause fatigue in the material it is mounted on and eventually crack despite being reinforced with alloy plates at the back. That apart it is difficult to read when the device is shaking all over the place.

With my R1100RS a RAM mount is screwed directly between the top of the forks and is very stable with no undue vibration at all.
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
There's an empty hole on the left switch perch you can use with RAM mounts. That puts the GPS out of the way, but within easy reach.

If I can figure out how to post pictures again... I will.

Here is mine mounted the same way. You can see the Stainless steel bolt which secures the RAM mount. It is then right about my left hand. An easy glance then up to the mirror.

The link I posted does work. Just not in the post, which is weird.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grunter,

I posted my setup 12 years ago & its still going strong
Here is the thread....
http://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8449&highlight=garmin

Sanjiv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: