K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Delivery Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rides RS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Fuel Delivery Issue Reply with quote

Well, here's a good problem to solve. Specimen is a '95 K1100RS with c. 60K miles. Stored in Heidelberg Germany.

In April touring on the RS there, fuel ran low in a rural area, eventually sputtering and stalling. A fresh gallon of gas would not restart the bike. Bike cranked fine with only occasional firing/sputter. We got a lift back to Knopf Tours. Brief diagnostics revealed a blown 15-amp fuse in fuel pump circuit. Replaced fuse: no joy. Limited tools, time and lack of electric meter meant leaving the bike stored yet un-repaired. Ugh.

We will return to Germany in September. First order of business is RS repair. I plan to install a new fuel pump and fuel filter and will have a modest complement of tools and electric meter. What other parts/supplies are recommended? Diagnostic tips are also appreciated. As a long-time airhead rider, I'm short on electronic fuel system knowledge. TIA, Chris Owen, Worcester VT R1200RT(x2), K1100RS, R100RS.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Non Runner Reply with quote

This could be the fuel pump relay. I had my long gone K75 do just the same.

I had taken it into a repair some work shop for some work or other to be done on it and was there when the mechanic rode my bike in after a test ride. I paid the cost and got on the bike and it would not start - absolutely nothing. Not a whisper from the fuel pump either

The fault was traced after the mechanic had sprayed some fuel into the intake and it fired up straight away ran a few revs and died. This was tried again and the same result. Closer exam showed the fuse was loose and not completing the circuit, that was replaced but still nothing. The pump was removed and connected to a battery and it ran as normal confirming the diagnosis the relay was faulty. A new relay was fitted and away I rode.
Rides RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< This could be the fuel pump relay. I had my long gone K75 do just the same >>

Thank you, Grunter. I'll add a fuel pump relay to the parts list. IIRC, a few of the relays for the K11RS are identical. I switched them around with no improvement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: