K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K1100LT headlight
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazsm
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with white LEDs unfortunately but now I’m thinking about the rear end so will likely be ordering a few red ones!
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I have red eagles in the backs of my Ks now. Here's a thread on it:
http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13029&highlight=eagle

Look at my update post for January 4 to see the easiest install.

With resect RS/LT front parking light LEDs I did this to my RS:

But that's from something like ten years ago so the LEDs aren't very bright.

So I just ordered this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164773604266

It's a COB LED panel that puts out 500 lumen so it should be noticeably brighter. I prefer amber in the parking light because with all of the cars with headlights on in the daytime these days I think orange sticks out better.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Bazsm
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the LEDs on the circuit board for my parking light have gradually failed so I’m back to installing the Eagle eye LEDs instead, I have 5 of them and was planning to install them in a row where the parking light strip is but maybe 5 is overkill, could I get away with 3 of them?
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just lazy but I'd try just one in the center hole first and see how that works out.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Bazsm
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I guess my point is it’s such a pain to get into the headlight for one I might as well add a couple - will update when I do it.
Bazsm
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've added 5 of the Eagle eye LEDs and hopefully this is fixed for good this time!

I just removed the original parking light housing and replaced it with a flexible strip of plastic I could mount the LEDs onto:

I drilled straight through the rear of the headlight shell and bolted 3 of the LEDs in place but the 2 at either end were too close to the plastic shoulder to allow me to get nuts on but as the were already bolted to the plastic strip it hasn't made any difference to them being firmly seated, I just added a small amount of sealant to seal the holes. Wiring looks a bit amateurish but I soldered the 5 smaller wires and crimped them to the spade terminals and they seem secure too:

Light output is pretty good but the camera makes the light look like a single beam when in reality it looks like 5 single LEDs:

I noticed when installing the new heated switch that 2 of the other switches have at least one wire no longer attached although everything worked before I started, so I'm guessing that they came adrift when I had to move the switch 'console' thingy to fit the new switch Sad
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazsm wrote:

I noticed when installing the new heated switch that 2 of the other switches have at least one wire no longer attached although everything worked before I started, so I'm guessing that they came adrift when I had to move the switch 'console' thingy to fit the new switch Sad

Don't feel bad, I've had the same problem more than once... the wires break off at the solder joint located on the back side of the switch.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:
Bazsm wrote:

Don't feel bad, I've had the same problem more than once... the wires break off at the solder joint located on the back side of the switch.

Not uncommon at all:

http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/dashswitch/dashswitch.htm
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! A camera can never do justice to how much light those Eagle Eye LEDs put out.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Not legal Reply with quote

Bazsm, as you live in UK be aware that fitting after market lighting has issues to fit them and will not comply with the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs. All bulbs MUST have either a CE or BS Kite mark to be legal. NO aftermarket LED Bulbs have these so cannot be used.

Firstly there is the issue with the flare that an incorrect bulb would give if the source of light is not in the precise position the same as a tungsten bulb.

Another of the Regs state the vehicle must have had them fitted FROM NEW!. Plus all vehicles fitted with them must have a self leveling suspension. On older K100 bikes you could have fitted a Nivomat rear suspension unit but not on a K1100!

Whilst the rear light/brake light is desirable, there are limits on the wattage and the light output because over powered bulbs can blind drivers following. Does this not eliminate the bulb failure warning because this depends upon a certain wattage in a bulb to make the relay work?

You may get away with it for a while, but come the annual test, test centres are tightening up the standards and your bike may well fail and have to revert to the original before a pass certificate is issued.

It is not generally known but all reasons for a fail are now recorded on the DVLA Database and can be retro-checked to see if previous observations have been complied with.

Even if it does pass a test, the regs also state any lights must not be incapable in normal circumstances cause other drivers to be blinded LED's may fail a test because of this. There is also an offence of:- Using a vehicle in a dangerous condition and your LT may fit in to this category which may result in your vehicle can be seized by the police and not allowed on the road until the problem is rectified.

I sometimes get blinded by vehicles fitted with LED from new and these are usually larger 4x4's where the headlights are higher than normal cars. The headlight on a K1100 is very definitely in that category and will stick out like a sore thumb. In the USA the lighting regs may not limit the use of LED lights on older vehicles but they certainly do so here.
Bazsm
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up grunter, I had a similar though slightly less powerful LED bar on my previous LT for 15 years with no issues but I’ll just have to wait and see at MOT time.

In actual fact if I needed to revert to the original sad pilot light I could simply pull out the middle LED, unplug the other 4 and pop the original one back in the hole Very Happy
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Tungsten V LED Reply with quote

You can actually buy - legally - a 20w bulb that will fit straight into the original socket. I do believe either Motorworks in Huddersfield sell them or Motobins Lincolnshire do as well. Also it has the crucial CE or Kite mark.

The difference is quite impressive. I would never rely upon a side light anyway and the extra 15w will pose no problem to the generator.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Not legal Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:
In the USA the lighting regs may not limit the use of LED lights on older vehicles but they certainly do so here.

Technically in the US all lights have to be DOT approved. (Which really isn't true because things like helmets and light bulbs are actually aren't approved by the DOT but instead need to conform to published DOT standards.)

Aside from the DOT regs, individual states have their own equipment laws and regulations. For example, in some states it is illegal to have flashing brake lights as all flashing lights are reserved for emergency vehicles but other states now allow them on motorcycles. In my state they are still technically illegal but I've had flashing brake lights for over a decade and have never been cited in any state.

On top of that, only 15 of the 50 states have annual or biannual vehicle inspections. (Of varying intensity.) So in most states as long as you don't blind a policeman you can pretty much do whatever you want.

One thing many states have cracked down on though is people putting HID headlight upgrades in halogen reflectors because of the amount of bright light scatter that usually causes.

Several of my Ks have Hella halogen driving lights upgraded to 35W HID that put out enough light to land a plane and are most definitely out of spec but I have them tied into my high beam and am very judicious in using them due to:

a) general courtesy for other road users

b) the LAST thing I want to do on a motorcycle is blind oncoming traffic
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out on Saturday, (28 degrees F) and did a 60 mile loop. The new LED headlight bulb was very nice. It was a dark day, so I could see the headlight lighting up road signs, but no one was flashing me indicating I was in their eyes. I love the simplicity of the plug and play.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: