K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another K1100LT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Another K1100LT Reply with quote

I have got my eye on a 1996 K1100LT with only 26K miles which is up for sale at a quite decent price. I am going to have a look at it on Thursday and make up my mind.

From the pictures I have seen, it is in pretty damn good condition with a few major spares thrown in. Full service history and from all accounts kept in a very high standard with no money spared.

I have sold one of my K75's and if the K1100 it comes up to what I hope it does I may sell the other as well. (I don't really have the room in my garage for 2 bikes.)
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and had a goodlook at the bike and yes it is in very good condition with only 25.5K miles recorded.

However there may be a problem with the ABS. When the ignition was switched on the ABS light started to flash out of step with each other.. I always understood that if this happened there was a fault and the lights should flash together.

The owner was reluctant for me to take it out on the road despite it being roadworthy and correctly documented,so I am minded to turn it down. I know when I had an R1100RT when the lights flashed out of sequence it was usually a sign of a drop in battery voltage so after riding for a couple of hundred yards I would stop the motor for a few seconds and then restart and usually the lights extinguished. But with the owners reluctance to allow me to do this I am having second thoughts.

Otherwise the bike is fine. Any thoughts please.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the owner is reluctant to let you ride it in order to see if the ABS initializes OK then ask the owner to take it for a short spin and show you that both lights are out before it is turned off.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: ABS Reply with quote

ABS can be fixed... I wouldn't let that stop me. If the price is right. Low mileage bikes in good condition are rare.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: ABS Reply with quote

Jim wrote:
ABS can be fixed... I wouldn't let that stop me. If the price is right. Low mileage bikes in good condition are rare.

It it's just a fault that needs to be cleared or a sensor that needs to be replaced then it's not a big deal.

However if the control unit has gone bad then replacing the ABS II control unit is a PITA. After you find and purchase one.

And even though the R1100s and 850s use the same control unit they are programmed differently so you can't just pop one of those into a K1100 without having it reprogrammed by someone who knows what they're doing.

If the seller can't show that the ABS works I wouldn't buy a bike with a faulted ABS II system without a significant price reduction.

Just my .02.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid he would not take it out either. having virtually given up riding. He was insistent that the alternative flashing was normal but having owned one before I know it isn't, so he is stuck with the bike that is unsaleable , to me anyway.

I don't need the ABS but if I was paying what he asked, I would want it working.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grunter, do you have MOT inspections there?
I'd have thought that the bike would have failed an inspection if the ABS isn't functioning 100% correctly since it's considered a 'safety component'.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Mike d
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we have MOT tests, but the ABS is not covered by it. They only test the efficiency of the brakes, so even if the ABS isn't working, the ABS2 module still allows full hydraulic brake capacity (unlike the iABS on bikes such as the R1150 etc).

John, the standalo0ne GS-911 unit specific to the bikes with the three pin diagnostic port, can read the ABS for faults and even if the battery is low, can reset the ABS lights. I tested this on my K1100 as it had an 'ABS light fault' registered (my battery was a bit low). The unit reset the lights back to flashing in unison. If I charge the battery a bit, I'm sure when I next start the bike all will operate as it should. I also do the 'ride the bike for a few miles stop and restart' to clear the alternate flashing problem.

Mike

Mike
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike d wrote:
Yes we have MOT tests, but the ABS is not covered by it. They only test the efficiency of the brakes, so even if the ABS isn't working, the ABS2 module still allows full hydraulic brake capacity (unlike the iABS on bikes such as the R1150 etc).

John, the standalo0ne GS-911 unit specific to the bikes with the three pin diagnostic port, can read the ABS for faults and even if the battery is low, can reset the ABS lights. I tested this on my K1100 as it had an 'ABS light fault' registered (my battery was a bit low). The unit reset the lights back to flashing in unison. If I charge the battery a bit, I'm sure when I next start the bike all will operate as it should. I also do the 'ride the bike for a few miles stop and restart' to clear the alternate flashing problem.

Mike

Mike

You don't need a GS-911 to read K1100 ABS fault codes. All you need is a 12V LED.

Connect the positive lead of the LED to the center terminal of the diagnostic plug and ground the LED's negative. If there's no faults then the LED will go on and remain solid when the ignition is turned on.

If there's a fault code the it can be determined by counting the number of times the LED flashes off. The fault code will cycle repeatedly.

Fault codes:

1 - Front modulator
2 - Rear modulator
3 - Front ABS sensor
4 - Rear ABS sensor
5 - Low battery
6 - ABS relay
7 - ABS control unit

You can attempt to clear fault codes by grounding the center terminal of the diagnostic plug, holding down the ABS switch while turning the ignition on and waiting about 20 seconds.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the bike is located over 250 miles from where I live, going down there and back again is not really a realistic prospect. The owner was an odd fellow who I think would not allow me to play around with the bike in situ and there is no way I am going to pay what he was asking with an obvious visible fault. If he offered to drop the price by £500 I would have taken it and removed the ABS relay myself, but I am not paying what was asked.

As Mike D said we can use an originally ABS fitted vehicle if there is a fault so long as the actual brakes come up to test standard and the flashing lights are disabled. If they are not, it is an automatic fail.

Even if I had taken the bike in it's present condition, driving back home with the lights flashing, technically and legally I would be driving an unroadworthy vehicle which could render my insurance cover invalid. Under present English Road Traffic Law if the fault happened during a journey it is OK to travel to my destination for a repair, but as the fault was there before I started the trip, that would be illegal.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:
Considering that the bike is located over 250 miles from where I live, going down there and back again is not really a realistic prospect. The owner was an odd fellow who I think would not allow me to play around with the bike in situ and there is no way I am going to pay what he was asking with an obvious visible fault. If he offered to drop the price by £500 I would have taken it and removed the ABS relay myself, but I am not paying what was asked.

As Mike D said we can use an originally ABS fitted vehicle if there is a fault so long as the actual brakes come up to test standard and the flashing lights are disabled. If they are not, it is an automatic fail.

Even if I had taken the bike in it's present condition, driving back home with the lights flashing, technically and legally I would be driving an unroadworthy vehicle which could render my insurance cover invalid. Under present English Road Traffic Law if the fault happened during a journey it is OK to travel to my destination for a repair, but as the fault was there before I started the trip, that would be illegal.

I concur with your decision. "There's plenty of fish in the ocean." Other Ks for sale will come along.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: