K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K1100LT- Project almost done

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffymaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: K1100LT- Project almost done Reply with quote

Hello all,

It has been more than an year since I last rode this puppy, it has been a long process but I am happy to say that the motorcycle is almost done.

What I can say is that not all bad things end up to be as bad as they seem.

Check for yourselfs :

https://www.facebook.com/K1100lt-Project-1722962557925886/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Thank you for having me around.

Good day !

Very Happy
Steve L
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those red switches.

1996 K1100 LT
fluffymaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve L wrote:
I love those red switches.
It was a pain in the but to make them fit in the regular slots but it looks like something from a James Bond movie I guess Laughing
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling Shogs, check out these crash bars!

To the OP, was this just CAD playing or did you fabricate anything like these?

Great restore by the way, good work!

Edit: Sorry for the huge pic, can the mods shrink that down a bit?
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
fluffymaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoked Steve wrote:
Calling Shogs, check out these crash bars!

To the OP, was this just CAD playing or did you fabricate anything like these?

Great restore by the way, good work!

Edit: Sorry for the huge pic, can the mods shrink that down a bit?

Hello Steve,

Thank you, in the beginning of the project the crash bars design would have worked in theory.

As you may know the K1100's have a particularity when it comes to frame design as the engine is the main baring point for the entire motorcycle.

The original "crash bars" for this particular motorcycle are designed to withstand a standing drop or a low speed dive as you can see from the pictures I was unlucky enough to take a dive at 40K m/h. The bars did their job and took the impact.

As you know they are held on by rubber bushings with metal screws that are specifically designed to take a certain amount of force(not that much).

I stuck with the original design as the one that I initially tough of employed that I would put the frame and the engine at risk in case of an accident at let's say 70 Km/h or in certain cases even at speeds down to 20 Km/h hit it the right spot you might damage the frame.

However if you want to build something like this I recommend using large bushings and rubber fittings between the engine and the bars as well brake away bolts.

In the design there is a bar from the the crash cage to the frame of the motorcycle, that needs to be elastic(any thin pipe or if you want to over engineer it you can go with a spring shock with breakaway bolts).

The bike was never designed for such "tough" reinforcement as it had to be and I cannot emphasis more on the good old German efficiency in it's design.

And yes it is a bit overengineered when it comes to certain aspects of it's built.

Also the design of the bars is followed from a r1200 police bike : http://motorbikewriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/qhp3.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: