K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headlight bulb replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Monster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Headlight bulb replacement Reply with quote

Hey all,

Besides the obvious method that my Clymer manual states, I wondered if there were other tips and tricks this group may offer with replacing the headlight bulb on my K11RS.

I am planning to install the below bulb from Amazon unless I hear back from anyone with other recommendations.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-AUXITO-Headlight-Replacement-Motorcycle/dp/B09JZ6QZ6T/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1673466709&s=automotive&sr=1-1&vehicle=1995-31-18245-20-----14262------1&vehicleName=1995%2BBMW%2BK1100RS&th=1

Many thanks!

Mike[/url]
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is try it and report back.
When I purchased my BMW R bike, it had an LED headlamp installed.

Yes, it was definitely brighter, however, I really disliked the beam scatter pattern on the road so I removed the LED and went back to the standard halogen filament lamp that the reflector was designed for.

YMMV

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:

Yes, it was definitely brighter, however, I really disliked the beam scatter pattern on the road so I removed the LED and went back to the standard halogen filament lamp that the reflector was designed for.
ut outy as
YMMV

You need to procure an LED H4 that generates the same patterns as a halogen H4 from the reflector..

You need a base diameter of 31mm or less for the ring mounted H4 setup.

A couple of years ago I finally found an LED H4 that works well in Ks. It's a good upgrade and even makes the crappy K75S headlight much better.

RT/LT/K1 headlight beam comparison:

LED vs. halogen - low beam

LED vs. halogen - high beam

86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
Scott_Anderson wrote:

ut outy as
YMMV

You need to procure an LED H4 that generates the same patterns as a halogen H4 from the reflector..

You need a base diameter of 31mm or less for the ring mounted H4 setup.

A couple of years ago I finally found an LED H4 that works well in Ks. It's a good upgrade and even makes the crappy K75S headlight much better and also goes just fine without then round headlight of my K75 standard.

RS/RT/LT/K1 headlight beam comparison:

LED vs. halogen - low beam

LED vs. halogen - high beam

91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Duck, the other issue I didn't mention in my 1st post was that my modulator caused issues as well.
As the LED is more instant on/off than a traditional filament lamp, my modulator was actually flashing the LED on/off which is technically illegal for non-leo vehicles.....

Maybe someday when my modulator craps out I'll upgrade it to an LED compatible unit with LED bulb.
I'm fine with it now as it is.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headlight alignment:

http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/hlh4.change/hlh4.change.htm
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:
Thanks Duck, the other issue I didn't mention in my 1st post was that my modulator caused issues as well.
As the LED is more instant on/off than a traditional filament lamp, my modulator was actually flashing the LED on/off which is technically illegal for non-leo vehicles.....

Maybe someday when my modulator craps out I'll upgrade it to an LED compatible unit with LED bulb.

Headlight modular regs are pretty complicated (Federal so they superceded sprat). Here they are:

Code of Federal Regulation – Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999 – Revised as of October 1, 2000
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]

TITLE 49: TRANSPORTATION – CHAPTER V, NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 571, FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS – Subpart B–Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards – Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment – S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a
lesser intensity, provided that:

The rate of modulation shall be 240 ±40 cycles per minute.
The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than 0.45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
S7.9.4.2

Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum
wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.
Note: For informational use only. All material and photographs are Copyright © webWorld International, LLC since 2000. All rights reserved. See the webBikeWorld® Site Info page. Product specifications, features and details may change or differ from our descriptions. Always check before purchasing. Read the Terms and Conditions!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
Scott_Anderson wrote:

Headlight modular regs are pretty complicated (Federal so they superceded sprat). Here they are:

Code of Federal Regulation – Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999 – Revised as of October 1, 2000
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]

TITLE 49: TRANSPORTATION – CHAPTER V, NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 571, FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS – Subpart B–Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards – Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment – S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a

The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than 0.45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
S7.9.4.2

Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum
wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.
Note: For informational use only. All material and photographs are Copyright © webWorld International, LLC since 2000. All rights reserved. See the webBikeWorld® Site Info page. Product specifications, features and details may change or differ from our descriptions. Always check before purchasing. Read the Terms and Conditions!

That is where an LED lamp fails on a traditional modulator, it operates instantaneous for the lamp off cycle, so no "fade" delay to meet that 17% requirement.
They do make LED specific modulators now(I bought one for my Ultra), I'm just not at the point of needing LED headlamp for the BMW's.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That is where an LED lamp fails on a traditional modulator, it operates instantaneous for the lamp off cycle, so no "fade" delay to meet that 17% requirement.
They do make LED specific modulators now(I bought one for my Ultra), I'm just not at the point of needing LED headlamp for the BMW's.

LED's are dimmed using pulse width modulation that you can adjust so that the LED H4 has full power 83% of the time. PWM uses squarw waves, nor sinusouical.

Like so:

Hrere's an LED modulator.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Wig-Pattern-Wave-Wagger/dp/B079M9R5YN
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:
Flying Duck wrote:
Scott_Anderson wrote:

S7.9.4.2

You can program an LED modulator to generate whatever output profile that yiu want.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Green Monster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Thanks Duck and Scott for the super-tech replies and explanations of LED lighting systems. I've opted to go with a brighter white" halogen to mitigate the modulator issue.

Were there any tips and tricks for getting to the bulb besides what my Klymer manual says?
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be pretty straightforward.

Where did you find a Palmetto Green RS? Was it the one on the east side of Seattle?
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
michaelcurrin
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A couple of years ago I finally found an LED H4 that works well in Ks. It's a good upgrade and even makes the crappy K75S headlight much better.

Which one are you using? I tried a couple different ones a few years back with fairly disappointing results.
06 Ducati ST3
67 Triumph 650 chopper
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelcurrin wrote:
Quote:

Which one are you using? I tried a couple different ones a few years back with fairly disappointing results.

They've come under several different ChiCom brand names but the ones that I've had good luck with all look like this.

91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
michaelcurrin wrote:
Quote:

They've come under several different ChiCom brand names but the ones that I've had good luck with all look like this.

I installed one of these last year and I am super happy with the results. No more dull yellow headlight. Bright white light that really illuminates the road.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from good white headlight beams, LED H4s also draw less watts so, at least in theory, they won't wear out the headlight contacts in the left combo switch as much.

(It still doesn't hurt to add headlight relays though.)
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
Aside from good white headlight beams, LED H4s also draw less watts so, at least in theory, they won't wear out the headlight contacts in the left combo switch as much.

(It still doesn't hurt to add headlight relays though.)

That was my thought- headlight relay!

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: