K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another ABS1 nightmare from Europe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
correcaminosbcn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Another ABS1 nightmare from Europe Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

And greetings from a Spanish guy living in Belgium; I recently purchased a 1992 old lady in quite acceptable conditions, 65 k on the clock, full service and previous owners track record available. I took it knowing the seller thrown the towel in with the ABS lights blinking issue. He first sent the ECU to an ABS guru in Germany (the bike is German registered when new, and the seller to me also was) but apparently, he suffered the same phenomena I am suffering now (see below). He then removed the ABS blinking relay and disconnected the ECU’s connector. Good, I’ll manage for sure, hold my beer and watch this…
Now, I got the bike in my garage and plenty of hope, I put hands on, readjusted the wheel sensor gaps, prepared all the set of tools required (crocodile wires, LED with resistor, cold beer, etc) to test and clean up the alarms from the ABS ECU. Then I got the missing ABS relay from the seller, put it in, did all the reset ceremony, and BINGO!, lights off, ABS working; but my joy just lasted for some days; one sunny day I was riding when I saw the alternator light in; rode home and parked in the garage, and right away started to look the web for the alternator stuff (brushes, rubber connector, etc) but the very next day the bike cranked and worked fine, and no alternator light on anymore… Good, some gremlins there, but nothing serious. I hope.
Wrong!

Then, after a couple more of days (very short trips every time), the brake control light and the ABS pilot light on the left of the dash (my lady just has one ABS pilot light) did together at once a sequence of strange, unconsistent blinking, like a losing contact or something; they went on, and from that moment I’ve never got them off; did all the HomeWorks, read all the related posts in all the languages I can understand, checked battery, grounds, dash ABS push button, danced around the bike… but no better.
Now, the situation is as follows:

• ABS + Brake control lights blink together from the first contact on (brake one after the brakes activation, you know).
• ABS braking system WORKS PERFECTLY, both wheels (yes I got b..lls to test also the front wheel)
• No alarm code when I do the LED test.

Open chances on which I beg for your help:

1. Tape on the dash lights (a bit shitty but “in extremis” it would do)
2. Send the ECU to Tosi and cash him back 250 bucks (ouch…)
3. Some of you pulling the magic wand and telling me “you stupid guy forgot this basic step…!!”
4. Set her on fire and purchase a bicycle.

Sorry for my poor English, and hopefully some of you guys can light me up…
Thanks everyone in advance.

Cheers,

Correcaminosbcn (Roadrunnerbcn)
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that:

1 - The ABS works when you slam on the brakes (like trying to lock up the rear wheel)

2 - the LED stays on solid when you plug it into the center of the diagnostic plug

3 - But the ABS lights still flash in the instrument cluster
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner - are the ABS lights staying on while you're riding? Or just when you start the bike and don't move it? You have to ride it for the ABS lights to go off.

If the battery is a bit low, the ABS lights can usually be turned off by riding it a short distance, turning the bike off, then starting it again.

Seems like battery issues are a more common cause of ABS lights on than actual ABS problems.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: