K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1965 Triumph Tiger 500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: 1965 Triumph Tiger 500 Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about these bikes? I am being offered one in trade for something I am selling but I know nothing about them.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 80's I had a friend that had several late 60's Triumphs. Neat bikes, very British, I'm sure there are loads of places out there with info and parts available. Hard to put a value on old bikes, If it was a decent price I'd be tempted to own it for a while, go through it, ride it and enjoy something different, then pass it along.
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Since it is being offered as a trade for something I am selling, I am trying to gauge demand for this to see if I can quickly sell it. I already have the K1100 and not really interested in switching to something much older.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tiger 500 was my 1st bike after getting my licence. mine was a 1962 bike and if I were honest it was a bit of a dog. but I owned it for 2 years and it never let me down.

It's main Achilles heel was the lack of a decent oil filter all it had was a gauze mesh filter in the sump so it stopped the big bits getting circulated but the very fine swarf in suspension gave the bearings a hard life.

That has been solved now with an after market inline filter on the feed side of the oil flow and I know of one that has been rebuilt with the filter has covered close on 90,000 miles with no problems.

The 34 BHP output is enough to allow it to get to 100mph and the later ones like the one you are looking at have a quite decent frame. The later bikes 1968 onwards had a twin leading shoe front brake which was quite awesome for it's day.

If the one you are looking at only has a 6v charging system, they are quite easy and inexpensive to convert to 12v. with only one component to change an electronic resister - a Zenner diode to control the voltage output. The increased voltage came about by combining two of the output wires from the alternator which increased the voltage to 12 and the watt output to around 120 instead of 60 The Zenner diode has to be bolted onto a heat sink to dissipate the heat or it will literally overheat and fall to pieces

It all depends on how much they are asking for a sale. One in average condition with no major problems can fetch up to £4-5000 in UK. Or about 6000$ if the market is the same over there

Last edited by Grunter on Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, much appreciated. But aren't there variants of this motorcycle? I thought they were designated T100x with the x being an additional letter.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: T100 Reply with quote

This was a pre war engine design by Edward Turner. I believe originally it was designed as a stationary engine driving a pump of some sort.
Post war motorcycles began to be made for civilian market and the T100 was born.

Yes there were many derivatives including 'stretching it into the 650's. The bike you have been offered was probably at the top of the pile as far as development went. There were 'off road', 'Trials, and some were even developed into racers.

Some models had high exhausts on the left side with twin mufflers and mine has siamese pipes with one muffler on the right hand side. The early ones had a problem with small oil leaks but these were largely eliminated with better seals and the use of high temperature silicone sealants

Frames and forks were improved by 1965 so when cornering, it didn't feel as if there was a hinge in the middle! The top of the pile was a twin carburettor version which is very much sought after. If I remember correctly this was the last model produced. Spares are plentiful in UK ad not too expensive.

One small problem would likely be the spanner (wrench) sizes. They were a British size called 'BSF' or British Standard Fine or Whitworth which was usually a coarser thread but some of the head sizes were common to each other. They can be hard to find but they are still available.

Internally the engineering was 1st class with fine finish on all parts especially
the rods connected to the pistons and crank. They were light alloy and polished which proofed them against breaking.

I have googled Triumph Tiger 100 motorcycles and it has come up with more information than I can provide. Plus pictures as well.
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed. Unfortunately it looks like the person offering me the bike has vamoosed and disappeared. Not answering emails. Sad
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the bike I am being offered as a trade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: