K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this effect likely

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Is this effect likely Reply with quote

I went to have a look at a 1990 Ex-Police K1100 yesterday. It immediately wasn't obvious that it was an ex police model apart from the colour, but what attracted me was the very low miles (19000K) and the low price. All other bits and pieces (ABS, heated grips) and the discs were hardly worn. There was a full service history but last done 4 years ago but according to the record, it had done 3 miles since then. He was selling it on as it is, because he did not have the time to spend on it further.

The seller who was a dealer, was up front and told me that it had a problem in that the idle speed was a little slow and this was thought was the the ignition leads being in need of replacement. All diagnostic checks showed otherwise it was in good running order. Could ignition leads and caps really make that much difference? His reluctance was also the cost of new leads is approaching £200 a set

I am quite keen on this bike but as my last K1100 had a similar problem but with an undiagnosed fault which caused it to stall when hot and this was enough to make me sell it, I am naturally being cautious, is the diagnosis likely to be correct?

Last edited by Grunter on Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wires on the bike are still original, then I would at least plan on replacing them just based upon the age of the rubber alone.
There are aftermarket options for plug wires, Magnacore makes them as does Realm. I have 2 sets of Realm on my 2 K-bikes.

If it is at a dealer as you say, it must be a newer shop, or at least newer mechanics that aren't experienced with K's.

You mentioned 190000, I'm guessing Kilometers? That's not a bad total for a 1990. My 1995 is in the same ballpark.

Did he way what makes him think the idle is low, spec is 950 rpm +/- 50 rpm, compared to some others, it may seem low.
I'd be more concerned if it was high(indication of a vacuum/air leak in the intake system).
Even if it was low, did it idle smooth.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Mike d
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

You can get a full set of new NGK leads from Motorworks for £85.62 incl. VAT, although they don't have the tang t pull the HT cap off the plug.

I wouldn't have thought that the low idle was due to plugs and leads, more likely poor adjustment of the BBS (Big Brass Screws).

Has the TPS been checked for correct position.

Hi Scott, it's in the UK so more likely miles that kilometers, still low, but is it the original speedometer I wonder?

Mike
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:
If the wires on the bike are still original, then I would at least plan on replacing them just based upon the age of the rubber alone.
There are aftermarket options for plug wires, Magnacore makes them as does Realm. I have 2 sets of Realm on my 2 K-bikes.

If it is at a dealer as you say, it must be a newer shop, or at least newer mechanics that aren't experienced with K's.

You mentioned 190000, I'm guessing Kilometers? That's not a bad total for a 1990. My 1995 is in the same ballpark.

Did he way what makes him think the idle is low, spec is 950 rpm +/- 50 rpm, compared to some others, it may seem low.
I'd be more concerned if it was high(indication of a vacuum/air leak in the intake system).
Even if it was low, did it idle smooth.

Oooops! No I meant 19000 miles, hardly run in which is what took my eye. I have updated the error
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: K1100LT ex Police Reply with quote

I am still considering this bike. Mechanically it is fine, I had a few miles try out on Tuesday and it does go and stop very well. I will go along with the sellers description of the ignition lead problem because if they are held in place in direct contact with the plugs it runs at idle absolutely spot on.

However it is the cosmetics! The tank, side panels and seat base are fine but the fairing had the police livery on with vinyl patches attached, and these have discoloured the paint underneath. It is more of a patchy cream colour than polar white which the colour code suggests it should be.
Just how difficult is it to remove the fairing for it to be resprayed? I removed a damaged fairing from a R100RT some years ago and it was an absolute nightmare. I would have the whole bike resprayed including the 'good' bits so I would need to get the fairing removed.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the fairings off both of my LT's over the years, they are involved, but I wouldn't say it is impossible. I can't imagine that the RTP version is much more or less involved to remove.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled all of the plastic off a LT, a local body shop fixed cracks on both side of fairing, ground spots on both mirrors, and did a color change for $650. I found I had one of the 4 front fairing monks broke off, they glassed it back in place. If there is no damage I would think a local body shop could sand and paint the fairing fro $200 or so? Little paint and an hour labor?
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Fairing removal Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I am doing a little more than just rep-spraying the fairing. I am thinking about a full colour change over the winter. I am yet to decide what colour, but I am budgeting around £600 - £650 if I actually go ahead and buy.

I am basing this on what it cost me 4 years ago when I had my K75s completely resprayed, including colour matching the panniers and top box lids. That was about £300 give or take

If any one has a 'exploded' diagram of the complete fairing that they can upload, that will certainly help.
Al.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairing not a very big job.
I had the top fairing off 1100LTSE.
I had the radiator out previously.
Just remember where screws come from.
Some are self tap, others set screws/bolts

Take a few pictures as you go.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:33 am    Post subject: Fairing removal Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but sadly it will not be necessary. I went to the dealer where the K1100 was and had a thorough look at it and actually there is a quite a lot that needs doing to it cosmetically, and with the question of the ignition niggle I think that I will pass on it.

The major problem I think will be that with this being an ex police bike, they have had other equipment fitted and the wiring harness is showing signs of being modified with loose wires clipped off and I know from past history the kind of problems that can raise later on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: