K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Report: Police motorcycle training class

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Report: Police motorcycle training class Reply with quote

Friends,

I took a motorcycle training class yesterday from the Alameda police department here in California.

This is day 1 of their intense 2 week class used to train motorcycle cops.

It was a fun experience for me & I'm happy to share a few tidbits.....

1) Retired 1000cc Kawasaki police bikes provided. I was amazed that these ancient carburetored bikes were solid. Good ergonomics, low CG and nice handling. Wish they did not have the stupid floorboards though.

2) Its ok to drop them! Several students did. I did not but in hindsight ... that safety margin kept me from pushing myself harder. I'm reminded of my late buddy, Steve, who taught me skiing.... "If you're not falling while learning ... you are not pushing yourself hard enough"

3) Special facility designed for both low speed skills and medium speed skills. A Disneyland for riders! Far far better than typical MSF facilities/classes.

4) Option to use your own bike for any part of the course (I did all the emergency braking exercises on my K1100LT & was the best student for this particular exercise)

5) Only one hour of class room. 6 hours on bike.

6) Bulk of time spent with typical parking lot speed maneuvers. 18' U turns are expected (I had trouble doing those consistently).

7) Special sections of the facility designed to help you practice U turns on a city street at an incline (both uphill and downhill). No shame if you have to resort to a 3 point turn ... emphasis was on doing it safely & quickly.

Cool Did a few miles in the dirt / gravel on steep inclines

9) Went over curbs a couple of times

10) For this "Day 1" class previous riding experience is expected. It is not intended for new riders. "Returning" riders like myself are allowed. There is no testing to get into the class.

11) There is an advanced "Day 2" class. That requires on-site testing and demonstration of a 18 foot U turn several times. Students who cant do this are kicked out of the class (money is refunded)

12) There is a dirt bike class too! DR650 (?) bikes provided. I'm planning to look into this class next.

13) Minor adjustments to the day for COVID / social-distancing compatibility. Mainly just wear a mask for the safety briefing. Big deal. I'm happy to be able to get out all day.

14) Incredibly polite & clear communication from the instructors (one had over a million miles on motorcycles). This was not your typical drill sergeant barking orders.... but an observant teacher pin-pointing your areas for skill development.

Cheers!

Sanjiv
AtLarge

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound like fun! Er, I mean educational. Yeah, that's it. Educational. Laughing
1973 Honda CL70-K3, 1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C, 1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1, 1994 BMW K1100RS, 2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool that they let civilians join in. Those instructors are probably some of the best.

What's the cost?
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drake,

Its $200 on your own bike, $250 if you use their bike.

I thought it was a deal.

I hope to qualify for their next level class but it will take tons of practice in parking lots. I hear rumors that they also have a 3rd level (don't advertise it) but no civilian has ever passed that class.

-s-
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a worthwhile investment. Beemered

i'd do the same if given the opportunity by local LEOs.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: