K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stock Exhaust (cat converter) mounting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brawls
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Stock Exhaust (cat converter) mounting Reply with quote

Would someone with an RS and stock exhaust system mind please snapping and posting a picture of the location where the catalytic converter mounts to the frame? I removed my stock system 5 years ago to run a Remus, and now seem to have mislocated some (all?) of the mounting hardware for the stock exhaust. I reviewed the bmw microfiche pic of the exhaust system but can't tell from that how the cat mounts.

TIA,

Blair Rawls
95 K1100RS
Niemand
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently had the exhaust off of my '94 RS for some work. I'll try to get some pictures up later today if nobody else jumps in.

From memory, there were only three attachment points...

1. Headers

2. Inside left peg plate

3. Small silver bracket attached to the mounting point of the right leg of the center stand. It has a large hex-shaped silver rubber bushing mounted horizontally, with a threaded stud pointing to the rear of bike, which the exhaust mounts to after a rubber washer. (I had a hell of a time with that one during reinstallation.)

1994 K1100RS
2023 DR650SE
Niemand
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

I thought I had a picture of the bracket loosened, which would give you a better idea of the parts involved, but found these at least.

**Pics Removed**

So you have the main bracket, which acts as a washer of sorts for the right center stand mount. The hex-shaped bushing has a threaded stud coming out of each end, with a nut securing the front end stud to the bracket. To the rear I had the green rubber washer pictured, then exhaust mount hole, then nut to secure the exhaust.

Feel free to ask if you think I missed something.

1994 K1100RS
2023 DR650SE

Last edited by Niemand on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Tiff
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as an LT- if you remove the right rear centre stand bolt, you can remove the bracket that bolts to the rubber mount- makes it far easier to fit.
Niemand
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiff wrote:
... makes it far easier to fit.

Definitely much easier that way. I ended loosening mine enough to get adequate play in the bracket to slip the mount on, then it all went smoothly. I was surprised none of the tech manuals suggested it, as the method described seemed impossible.

1994 K1100RS
2023 DR650SE
Brawls
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! These pictures and your description are what I needed. I saw that stud when looking under my K but just could not remember that being the mounting point for the bracket attached to the top of the housing for the cat converter. The help is much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Niemand
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help.

Might I ask why the switch back to stock? Just curious if you eventually had issues with the Remus, as that is my fall back option should I ever break my stock setup. (I'm very happy with the stock, just wouldn't want to deal with finding a used one I trusted, given their failure rate.)

1994 K1100RS
2023 DR650SE
Brawls
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Remus is lighter and IMO less prone to cracking at the collector (where my stock system was cracked, and many others have had similar experience) but the sound is a bit louder than stock, you need to remove the muffler to change the rear tire, and it drones a bit at certain speeds. Wearing ear plugs helps, but for the long rides I miss the quiet stock exhaust.

I've had the cracks in the stock system repaired, so I am seriously considering re-installing it. I was looking at the re-install steps when I realized I couldn't remember how it was hung at the cat location- thus the reason for my question.

Obviously I'm getting to be an old guy too.

Thanks again for the pictures.

Last edited by Brawls on Wed May 16, 2012 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niemand
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a fan of how quiet the stock setup is myself, the extra noise of the Remus is the main concern I have as well. Thanks for the info.

Tschüß.

1994 K1100RS
2023 DR650SE
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niemand wrote:
Being a fan of how quiet the stock setup is myself, the extra noise of the Remus is the main concern I have as well. Thanks for the info.

Tschüß.

Remus does make a fairly quiet "street" exhaust can as well as the louder "sport" version.
I have the sport on my '95, the street version is pretty quiet. We were comparing them last year at HM4 as we had some of each.
And to also mention that the stock exhaust, even though repaired, will most likely break again at the same points.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
poccer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Remus Exhaust Reply with quote

Could someone post photo of Remus Set up please

My original exhuast is now repaired a couple of times and i`m looking at the options

Thanks
Nick
Inge K.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11085
Number 6
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:
Niemand wrote:

Tschüß.

Remus does make a fairly quiet "street" exhaust can as well as the louder "sport" version.
I have the sport on my '95, the street version is pretty quiet. We were comparing them last year at HM4 as we had some of each.
And to also mention that the stock exhaust, even though repaired, will most likely break again at the same points.

Just soldering it won't fix it long term, but if you can find a skilled guy to reinforce it, it won't break again.

94 K1100LT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: