Custom K1100RS Mirror
First go to a sporting goods or fishing tackle store and purchase a small spool of "wire leader" and the appropriate sleeves to crimp the wire. You will also need 2 snap swivals.You'll have enough leader to do about 50 bikes. The shortest length I could find was 30 ft. I used 90# (41kg) stainless steel wire and 2 medium sized snap swivals. You DO NOT NEED TO buy the crimping tool for the wire leader. what your doing doesn't require the extra expense. Pliers will work fine. Just test all the crimps. All the parts cost me about 6.00$.
2. With the bike on the centre stand grasp the mirror and push forward. I should just snap off. (remove both). Remove the trim piece between the tank and the faring. Take loose the plastic piece that holds the fuel gauge and the coolant temp. You do not need to remove these completely you just need to get access to the nuts that hold the mirror mounts on(self locking nuts). Decide wich mounting bolt you wish to secure one end of the leash to and loosen it(do both sides). I used the lower of the three.
3. Go to fridge, get cold beer. It's time for a break.
4. Now that your well rested and refreshed, take out the leader line and cut two pieces about 3 inches long. (thats 8cm for you metric people) Slide two sleeves on the wire make an eye in both ends and crimp the sleeves. Ensure one of the eye's is large enough to fit over the bolt head you loosened earlier. Now put one of the eyes over the bolt head and tighten them up. You can put everything else back on the bike now.
(Except the mirrors)
5. 'Bout time for another beer.
6. Now cut two more pieces of leader. I was happy the way things turned out with about 6 inches, of wire that is. Slide a sleeve on the wire, run that same end through the swivel eye of a snap swivle then back into the sleeve and crimp it(do both). This next part requires a little manual dexterity. Pick up one of the mirrors. Take the bare end of the wire and slide a sleeve over the end, feed the wire into the mirror and loop it around the metal cross peice. (some discription aye) you'll see what I'm talking about when you look inside the mirror housing. slide the end into the sleeve pull out the slack and crimp it. Do the other side and your almost done.
7. Connect the snap swivel to the eye in the other wire. Give the wire a couple good tugs to make sure all the crimps hold. Conect the turn signal wire and put the mirror back on and you are finished.
Any questions I'm just an e-mail away.
Questions? Write Us email@example.com
1996-2003 Ted Verrill/K11OG & Individual Respective Authors.