K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tank Bag inquiry...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobZ(IL)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Tank Bag inquiry... Reply with quote

Received a Whitehorse Gear catalog and noticed a Nelson-Rigg strap mount tank bag that was under $100. Looks like it would work on my 1100LT.

If anyone here has used one of these, I'd like hear how it worked out.

Thanks,

Bob
BMWMOA, CRBMWOA, ABC, K11OG #997

Live well, do good work, enjoy the ride.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No first hand experience but if you get a tank bag that's tall enough and wide enough it will honk the horn when you turn the forks to full lock left. That even happens with the rather skinny OEM tank bag sometimes. (Found that out when backing out of a campground spot at 6:00am. Embarassed )
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
old guy old bike
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nelson-Rigg CL-400 (mini) that I use on my 93 LT. Think I paid about $50 for it from Sandhills. Made in USA if I remember right. Good heavy zipper, and removable map window. 2 small zippered compartments on the sides. Rain cover included. Soft foam on the bottom to help protect the paint. Quick buckle at the saddle so you can flip it up, out of the way, to fill the tank. Has a rubber port on the LH side for running wires.

Like Duck says, hard turn to the left on you are on the horn. Usually only happens when pushing the bike around when parking. I don't think I ever turned hard enough when riding to hit the horn.

It also has a net type pocket in the cover (inside) for a cell phone and another that I keep a note pad and tire gauge in.

You can't get much gear in the one I have but it held a hydration pouch, sun glasses, cell phone, I-pod, snacks and other misc crappola.

Only gripe I had was the rear strap was to short to go around both frame members. I emailed Nelson-Rigg and explained the problem. They had a new strap in my hands within just a few days.
Jeff
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I have used that tankbag on my (departed) K1100RS, the '09 Concours I had for a season and will use it on the K100RS this coming year.

I had to be a bit creative on how to anchor the rear strap, but it was pretty easy.

Overall, I have packed that thing with lots of stuff and it keeps coming back for another beating.

PM me if you decide to get it and I will show you a good way to run 12v into the interior.

John

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
BobZ(IL)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD
Me leaving a campsite at 6am ain't gonna happen. That would mean I'd have to be up at 4 to take down my tent and pack up. That horn is really loud, it would definitely wake everyone up.

Jeff
They are showing a "sport" bag which is smaller. Actually my jacket has too damn many pockets and I can never find anything, so a smaller bag might work fine. Don't need to pack anything big in it.

John
What kind of electrical stuff goes in your bag?

Bob
BMWMOA, CRBMWOA, ABC, K11OG #997

Live well, do good work, enjoy the ride.
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Roadgear tank bag that I love. It is compact, mounts easily via straps, and I have yet to honk the horn.

http://roadgear.com/Soft_Luggage/Tank_Bags/Three_Point_Sport_Tank_Bag/

It is collapsible, most of the time I have mine down, so the height is no issue, it has expandable side pockets which work great for flashlights and tire gauges. I have had the bag for 13 years, and it is on the bike most of the time, it still looks brand new. I lost my raincover and I saw the owner of the company at the MOA rally and he just gave me a new one. I also have one of their travel bags, I can honestly say that I am completely happy with their products.

For the three points I used the frame rail in front of the gas tank, for the rear one I got a turnbuckle like this one:

and put that on the little nubs sticking out behind the tank, tighten and done. Great mounting point.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I terminated wiring inside the bag with a "cigarette lighter" socket. With that I can charge a cell phone or a two way radio (when I ride with the "kids").
I have also charged our rider to passenger intercom (Nolan) when we are on longer/ all day rides.

Went the temps cool down I use the extra outlet for Cathy's heated vest.

Once the outlet was there other uses turned up.

BTW, the connection was from the battery that I also use for the trickle charger.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a thing with three cig outlets and a USB charger for my tank bag. (Dirt cheap on Fleabay from China.)

I can simultaneously:

1) Run my radar detector (hidden under a map in the top of my tank bag)

2) Charge my cell phone

3) Charge my netbook

4) Charge my Nano

That reminds me, I still need to get a 12V charger for my camera battery.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Bob T
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Clauss wrote:
I have a Roadgear tank bag that I love. It is compact, mounts easily via straps, and I have yet to honk the horn.

http://roadgear.com/Soft_Luggage/Tank_Bags/Three_Point_Sport_Tank_Bag/

It is collapsible, most of the time I have mine down, so the height is no issue, it has expandable side pockets which work great for flashlights and tire gauges. I have had the bag for 13 years, and it is on the bike most of the time, it still looks brand new. I lost my raincover and I saw the owner of the company at the MOA rally and he just gave me a new one. I also have one of their travel bags, I can honestly say that I am completely happy with their products.

For the three points I used the frame rail in front of the gas tank, for the rear one I got a turnbuckle like this one:

and put that on the little nubs sticking out behind the tank, tighten and done. Great mounting point.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just ordered on of these Roadgear bags based on this recommendation.
I've had good luck with other Roadgear stuff...and the 10 year warranty doesn't suck.
BTW John, I love your simple rear mount idea...I will try that.

Review to follow...
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: