 |
K11 Owners Group K11 Owners Group
|
| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
ChuckS Brick Rider
Joined: 11 May 2010 Posts: 30 Location: Too close to Detroit
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:24 pm Post subject: New to me 1993 K1100LT milk in FD? |
|
|
Hi All,
I bought a nice looking K1100LT last week. 21,000 miles on the clock, the last service coupon looks like dealer inspected it at 17,000 miles in 1998 . I'm changing all the fluids and other bits as needed and so far, no real surprises or disturbing thingies.
Except, maybe the FD oil is not supposed to be beige? The bike is stored in a cold garage (about 20F yesterday)I ran the bike around for about 10 minutes, then drained the oil. Here is a pic:
I'm hoping it's just air mixed in the oil, but I follow the same procedure on the R100 and Urals, and the oil looks more like oil.
Ideas? _________________ 1993 K1100LT
04 DL650 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:28 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Probably more likely that it's water from condensation. The black plastic thing on the top is a breather cap which is how it got in. Sounds like the bike sat for quite a while so it's not unusual.
Replace it and ride, ride, ride..... _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
ChuckS Brick Rider
Joined: 11 May 2010 Posts: 30 Location: Too close to Detroit
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:40 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Wow - that was fast!
And EXACTLY the answer I was hoping for. My "plan" is to change all fluids, tires, check the air hoses & fuel lines & such, ride it around for a few thousand miles, then change all the fluids again. Sound about right?
Thanks! _________________ 1993 K1100LT
04 DL650 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flying Duck PsyKotic Waterfowl

Joined: 27 Jan 2005 Posts: 10102 Location: Bumf***, WA
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:22 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I'd say five or six hundred miles should be enough to stir things up. I just built a K75 from parts and an engine that had sat around for a while. I used cheap dino gear oil for the final drive and transmission and Shell Rotella dino oil for the motor. When I get to five or six hundred miles, I'll drain all of that stuff and replace it with Mobil 1 products.
Be sure to clean out the gas tank too. The tank is aluminum so it won't rust but the seams around the base will corrode if exposed to water for an extended period. _________________ 93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
|