K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW S1000RR: Tested & Approved

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 162
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: BMW S1000RR: Tested & Approved Reply with quote

Hey gang, been a while since I posted anything, been a busy few weeks, getting my bike ready for Phuket Bike Week, she's out of the shop and at home now, looking good and raring to go...we leave on Thurs 8th Smile

BUT THEN, just when I thought I could chill.....

Hot on the heels of testing the K1300S, I got a call from BMW last Thurs wondering if I'd like to try out the S1000RR over the weekend....needless to say I was at their office before the caller could hang up. It was perfect timing too, the F1 happened over here at Sepang over the weekend, so I put a lot of miles on this bike, going to and from the track four days in a row Smile

3 ride settings, Rain, Sport and Race. The BMW guy first set the bike in Rain mode for me, just to get a feel of the machine. He then showed me that by pressing the 'mode' button, selecting the desired setting then closing the throttle and pulling the clutch, it is possible to switch to any of the 3 modes while on the go, regardless of speed.

A few km's away from BMW I selected 'Sport' from 'Rain' and whoa boy, the bike took on a whole different persona almost immediately. The engine was a lot more rev happy, the throttle response was more immediate, the exhaust note got boomier and it felt like someone had actually dumped in a bucket more horses into the engine, well, that's true actually. Sport mode lasted about 20km....

I was hesitant at first to chuck it into the 'Race' setting, but once I did that, there really was no turning back. Literally. Once you're in Race mode, the bike becomes a demon. It goes absolutely ballistic. All the kings horses, all 193 of them, are unleashed, but all the while, the traction control is keeping it all in check.

The standard Quick-Shifter (that I loved in the K1300S) is also used in the S1000RR and this allows for some incredibly rapid acceleration. It's not the most comfortable bike in the world though, there's hardly any seat padding, and the riding position is about as far from the K1300S as you can imagine. The wrists will ache after a while.

But I didn't care. With that kind of power and a ride & handling package, I could live with the pain. The amazing thing though is that ALL the bikes that have been brought in by BMW were sold out in the first week. There's even a buyer waiting for this one that I rode.

Conquest sales abound, people are not buying Italian and Japanese superbikes these days, everyone wants one of these. This bike is setting all kinds of records here, the waiting period now stretches to September Smile

Hope you like the pictures! Also posted the Spec sheet if you're interested Smile

Chris














_________________
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might very well be the finest work that BMW has ever produced. Getting glowing reviews across the board and apparently stepped into the Moto GP world with a bang. The engine sounds like a F1 car.

Of course someone who buys this thing is not giving a shit about how much it costs to maintain. Laughing

One nitpick though...hate the different headlights. If they made both of them angled triangles like the left it would look much better, but what the fk do I know? Cool
_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
malcolmt
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 369
Location: Parys, S.Africa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. i never noticed the different headlamps till you mentioned Rolling Eyes
it does look a little odd but them BMW have done some "odd" things in the past but for good reason..i wonder what the logic is here Question

Suppose I can just stand back in awe at the machine, I'll never own one or even be able to do it justice if i did own one.

Malcolm(t)
Joburg
South Africa
_________________
******************************
A Bike on the road is worth two
in the shed
******************************
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 162
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the headlights, but did you notice the left and right side fairings are different?? Gills one one side, hole in the other! The bike has a split personality! Hahaha Razz

In addition to the bike, BMW were kind enough to loan me the boots, helmet and jacket for the test. That jacket is now on my 'must have someday' list. It's unbelievably good at keeping the rider cool, especially in a climate like the one here.

It also comes with these really neat inner straps which allow you to carry the jacket like a backpack leaving your hands free, very clever, but very expensive! Smile

Chris
_________________
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
robleyd
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Murbko, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that by any chance the Comfortshell jacket? Found mine to be quite reasonable in 40C+ temperatures down here, and pretty good in the cool as well. As it bloody well should be for AU$700 or so.
_________________
David, owner of:
1996 K1100 LT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rydor
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Posts: 1304
Location: Southern Illinois, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode it as well and loved it Smile Best sport bike I've ridden yet... the POWER... Loved the shift assist... might have to retrofit one to the K1200S...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 876
Location: SD I-90

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: BMW S1000RR: Tested & Approved Reply with quote

ChrisWeeK1100RS wrote:
... I got a call from BMW last Thurs wondering if I'd like to try out the S1000RR over the weekend....

You must have been a very good soul in a previous life...or this one.

Off the grid wrote:
One nitpick though...hate the different headlights...

I dig 'em.

ChrisWeeK1100RS wrote:
Not just the headlights, but did you notice the left and right side fairings are different?? Gills one one side, hole in the other!

The asymmetrical elements suggest purposeful design - the bike's functions and mechanics are not symmetrical, why should the shell design be? Are the single-sided swing arms and left-only exhausts (with the exception of lrome's TBK12Special) of our K-bikes troubling to some eyes?

Symmetry is highly overrated.
_________________
tlp
1994 K1100RS

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 458
Location: Hoboken, NJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris -- i hate you.

chris -- i envy you.

and i want your job. badly. i was so very close to convincing my dad to sell his porsche and get one of these beasts. unfortunately he didn't do it, so i'm left to just oogle them.
_________________
(formerly) 1993 k1100rs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 162
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robleyd wrote:
Is that by any chance the Comfortshell jacket? Found mine to be quite reasonable in 40C+ temperatures down here, and pretty good in the cool as well. As it bloody well should be for AU$700 or so.


Yup, that'd be it! BMW Malaysia just got their latest line of Motorrad clothing for the year, and they set aside some kit for those who test their bikes for review. This one will be for sale by the last quarter of the year, hopefully it'll still be in good condition and I'll be able to pick it up 'used' for about A$200 bucks Razz

I almost bought last year's jacket from them (I'm wearing it in the picture of me on the F800GS somewhere in this pictures thread) but I'm holding out for this one now!

Chris
_________________
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
robleyd
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Murbko, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll be able to pick it up 'used' for about A$200 bucks


You have no idea how much I hate that Sad But if it works in your humidity as well as it does in the dry heat here, it's really well worth the full price let alone a giveaway price like that.
_________________
David, owner of:
1996 K1100 LT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 162
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robleyd wrote:
Quote:
I'll be able to pick it up 'used' for about A$200 bucks


You have no idea how much I hate that Sad But if it works in your humidity as well as it does in the dry heat here, it's really well worth the full price let alone a giveaway price like that.


It's a MUST these days, I have no idea what's going on but on my last long-distance ride to Phuket, I've never come so close to passing out.

The heat and humidity up north near the border was sheer hell. The external temp gauge (retrofitted) on my K never went below 40. That kind of heat, plus humidity, and we were sweating even while on the go. We were actually praying for rain!

That was insane. We stopped a lot just to drink lots of water. Nah, this Comfortshell jacket is now a must have, it's no longer a nice-to-have. Fingers crossed I'll get it sooner than by the end of the year.

Chris
_________________
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
robleyd
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Murbko, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of when I used to live in Darwin many years ago, except that the temperature rarely got above around 34 in the wet season, and then we thought it was bad; I can't imagine 40 and high humidity. Well, I can really but my brain refuses to go there Shocked
_________________
David, owner of:
1996 K1100 LT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group