K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to drop and pick up a motorcycle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech Resources & Stickies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: How to drop and pick up a motorcycle Reply with quote

Somebody PM'd me asking how to pick up a dropped K. As we all know, they are heavy beasts. I thought it would make a good tech sticky.

To start with, how to drop your bike. (Not on purpose, of course.)

Being heavy and topheavy bikes, especially the LT, they have "tipping points" of lean beyond which you will simply not be able to keep it from taking a nap. If you're on the bike and you realize that you're past the tipping point, get your downside leg out of the way and exert what force you can to make the fall as gentle as possible.

Next, how to pick it up without giving yourself a hernia. There's several videos on The Internet demonstrating how to pick up a dropped bike.

Here's a few examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6_2VqSHBw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t-0-2ekA3U

OK, the first one is funny because she says you should drop your bike on a flat surface. Like you're going to choose where you drop your bike. Laughing

To be honest, I've never tried this with a K but the principle is sound I believe and applies to all bikes.

The one time I dropped my fully loaded up for touring LT (angled pavement, foot slipped on gravel when I stopped) I was somewhat amazed that I picked it by just bending over and picking it up "normally." It may have had something to do with adrenaline and the fact that the just filled tank was pissing gas all over the place. Laughing I was actually aware of the proper technique at the time but got caught up in the heat of the moment and just he-manned it back up.

Or ask for help. Just make sure that whoever helps you doesn't grab bodywork and rip it off of the bike.

If you've dropped it with the system cases installed then chances are that the latch that holds the case to the rail has come loose or completely popped off. Be sure to check that once you have the bike righted. That can be riveted back on with a $15 pop riveter from the hardware store.

Also check to make sure that the downside mirror is still firmly mounted.

Any brave soul with an LT want to make a K1100LT pick up video at Hungry Mother? Shocked

And, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever used the "proper" technique to pick up their K1100?
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE

Last edited by Flying Duck on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim (Midland Section)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re helpful strangers, last time mine fell over, it cost me a seat hinge, ripped off by Mr helpful heaving on the seat edge.

Apparently the trick is to snick it into gear before commencing the lift.
Never been brave enough to try.

Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck
1996 Guzzi Cali3 LAPD
1972 750 Commando
G6HRN
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have picked mine up with that technique. I would add that the drop was caused by taking the bike off the centerstand on a slope. Just couldn't grab the brake fast enough. Could have been a lot worse - just a scraped up side case. But if there is a slope involved and you are on the clutch side of the bike, have someone grab the handbrake if you can.

/edit: Just read Tim's post, that makes even more sense!

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 37000 miles, sold Sad
2009 Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155 ST
2002 Litespeed titanium
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to drop and pick up a motorcycle Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
Any brave soul with an LT want to make a K1100LT pick up video at Hungry Mother? Shocked

And, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever used the "proper" technique to pick up their K1100?

That's ok Drake, I'll pass on making a video this year.

I'm not to proud to admit I have dropped my LT more than I want to admit. Right Steve. Embarassed

And yes, I did use the "proper" technique to pick it up. It's about the only way I can pick the behemouth up. Wink

I had a drop similar to Saltcreek's, attempting a center stand deployment on a slope. Only problem was that it fell towards the gas pump. Shocked
Needless to say help appeared in a hurry.
Can't say that I needed it anymore by the time that they got there but I really couldn't say no very easy either.
I told them all "no matter what do NOT grab anything plastic". That didn't leave much for them to help with. Wink
Lesson learned, no more centerstand on a side slope. Rolling Eyes

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
mnb
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the classic but to the seat and walk it up backwards technique on my KLT. It works.

Also works on my Harley, although it's MUCH harder, the bike is lower and much heavier. Of course, having seen a video of some 110lb chick doing it to an Electra Glide didn't make me feel very manly, either. Clearly she was an amateur weight lifter....
2007 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 BMW F800GS
2011 Husqvarna TE310
2014 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak MNB Edition
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should rename this the "I dropped my K1100 confession thread." Razz

Just remember that you'll have to sell it one day and this will be here and Google-able so your ad can't say "never dropped." Laughing
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not to proud to admit I have dropped my LT more than I want to admit. Right Steve.

I wasn't going to mention it, but since you did. Laughing

I almost dropped it as well when we both tried to do a U-turn on a narrow sloped road (after riding for 8 hours to HMII). I was just barely able to bring mine back from the tipping point, but another inch and I too would have dropped mine.

You had her back up before I could turn around to see what happened.
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Geoff
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good video. I recall seeing the technique demonstrated by a lady who lifted a Gold Wing. I believe it was at the Chicago IMS bike show.
Neiljohn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my son over-balance me and the bike once, and dropped it all by myself once, both times it went completely flat down and needed two to pick it up.

My worst experiences were with a Martini Yam, very heavy (pillion that day on mates bike) to pick up and my fully dressed CX500 on a muddy track that kept sliding away from me, ended up using a tree limb stuffed into the top entry air-filter box to walk it up.

Once dropped a Rickman Honda Endurance Racer on returning from a potential purchase test ride in a steeply angled dealers yard, told the staff IF I couldn't pick it up I didn't want it, rode it for several years...

'95 K1100LTIC (ex-police) my first road bike after 20 years without a road bike! Now backed up by an F650GS (800 twin) and a Deauville. The '52 G80C isn't a road bike so doesn't count...
bsholt21

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have to post here. I hate to say it, but I've dropped mine twice now...damn that center stand. Mad The first time it broke off the right side hard bag (broke one of the clips off), and the second time it demolished my rear right turn signal ($80 even ordering the parts online). I am extremely grateful that this post existed, as I would have never been able to pick up the bike on my own without it. I watched the videos in a panic, and I went out and picked it up exactly the way they said. These bikes are ridiculously heavy. Rolling Eyes
carp
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time it tipped over on a lawn, I made note to self to put a cambuckle tie down in the rear cowl in case that ever happened again. It was after open heart surgery so I waited for help, not wanting my chest to pull apart.

The next time I slipped in Yellowstone on a crowned gravel road to take a picture of a buffalo close up I made another note to self. Self loses notes to self. With a cambuckle tie down strapped to some lower parts I don't think it would be too hard to lift up by oneself.
exavid
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the 'butt first' method of lifting on the GL1500 and GL1800. The last time the 1800 had full bags and trunk. I'd just filled the tank and pulled to bike away from the pump to park while I went into the convenience store. I'd just gotten partly off the bike when it began to fall over to the left side. I hate to admit it but I was either tired or going nuts but I'd forgotten to put the side stand down. Anyway every time I've used the rear end lift method it's worked okay. If it's at all possible to lash back the front brake lever it's worth doing. The LT is a lot easier than the Goldwing. That 250lb extra on the big bike takes a good bit more effort. On the other hand most of the time the Goldwing only goes down about 45 degrees onto its crash bars. I've lifted one that had the mirror on the ground and that did take a bunch of huffing and puffing.

Molon Labe
beemrdon52
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: How to drop and pick up a motorcycle Reply with quote

Would someone please tell me the correct way to drop my motorcycle? Laughing
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the EASY part. Guilty as charged.

I even did a drop while at Hungry Mother IV. While gassing up. While our daughter watched (she didn't drop HER bike).

Another time right outside our garage at home.

But I am an equal opportunity "dropper". Once on the left, once on the right. Rolling Eyes

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech Resources & Stickies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: