K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water / Oil pump, 'how to' seal replacement videos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech Resources & Stickies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m1ks
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Water / Oil pump, 'how to' seal replacement videos Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Finally got around to editing the videos of the recent rebuild and seal replacement on the K1100.

Here are the video links, (2 videos), first shows removal stripping and covers cleaning, second shows refitting of new seals, shaft and silicone for re-installation.
Had some problems with the vocals on video 2 so threw in a couple of songs, hope you all like Creedence Smile

Note inserted by Flying Duck: Remember to drain the coolant first. I'd drain the engine oil too but Mike reports that by having a fairly low oil level and having the bike tilted back a little he was able to avoid that.

Video 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBtaioRMx0

Video 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8JUY8C2c08

Cheers all,

Mike
Ted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Mike,

I really enjoyed watching these - I've read the procedure but have never seen it done. I think I would be much more confident taking it on having seen your work.

Thanks!

Ted
KOG#1
m1ks
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Ted.
If these videos make the procedure easier for even one person or encourage someone to do it themselves who normally wouldn't then it's well worthwhile.
Glad you enjoyed them.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one done a couple of years ago because I wasn't comfortable with the procedure.
Then I realized after watching your videos, and others that changing those seals is no different than the mechanical pump seals that I change out at work---only a whole lot smaller.
Next time I'll be doing it myself.

Thanks M1

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Rafal
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Great tech video! God I love to work with this pumps - so nice job, so effective and joyful for me. So if you have any pump to fix send it to me, I'll do the fix with joy for free Wink.
I could recommend to take some polish compound and make the shaft shiny by hand or slow rev drill, It will make seal sit more tight. Also all edges of pump housing and cover can be polished in order to remove old silicon and aluminium oxides. I is worth to replace all bolts with stainless steel ones (I don't know about prices of metrics bolts in US, here they are cheap), and make an inspection of wires connector on temp. sensor and oil pressure switch - let's call it "bottom job" Wink.

Best regards,

RAL88
Flying Brick Rider

Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is very helpful. I just ordered parts to do a rebuild since I started leaking coolant out the weep hole. I'll need to get this done before heading down to HMIII.

A question. Is there suppose to be music playing through most of part 2 so you don't hear any speaking?

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Water / Oil pump, 'how to' seal replacement videos Reply with quote

An answer:

m1ks wrote:
Hi guys,
Finally got around to editing the videos of the recent rebuild and seal replacement on the K1100.

Here are the video links, (2 videos), first shows removal stripping and covers cleaning, second shows refitting of new seals, shaft and silicone for re-installation.
Had some problems with the vocals on video 2 so threw in a couple of songs, hope you all like Creedence Smile

Mike

1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
RAL88
Flying Brick Rider

Location: New Mexico Land of Enchantment and 365 days of riding USA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Had some problems with the vocals on video 2 so threw in a couple of songs, hope you all like Creedence

I guess it would help if I read the whole post. Embarassed

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and make it work better"
'96' K1100LT-SE
'97' R850GS-R
m1ks
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as above some probs with the vocals, the problems in question being that my normally mild mannered lovely wife was playing Assassins creed 2 in the background and interspersed among me telling you what's going on were expletives many and varied as she hacked a bloody path through ancient Venice Smile

I noticed this while editing ready for youtube and certianly didn't want to redo the whole thing after fitting the seals and such again.

So I thought a bit of Three dog night and Creedence would fill the slot nicely and save all your precious ears from the volatile language spewing forth Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech Resources & Stickies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: