K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old owner considering a new diet of rice....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwmick
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaaaah,
I waited three years for them to bring a blue one
to the states. Smile
KOG#175
'93 K1100LT, '96 R1100RT, '84 R100RS, 2010 Kawasaki C-14
Tucson, AZ
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

I did visit the Kawasaki dealer today. The owner and I talked for a while about the 2010 Concours. He did his best to be the authority about the 2010 models and I just kind-of nodded and smiled. (he should know how much I have been looking at forums)

'93 K1100RS getting closer to the classifieds......

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
bmwmick
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
KOG#175
'93 K1100LT, '96 R1100RT, '84 R100RS, 2010 Kawasaki C-14
Tucson, AZ
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
OK,

I did visit the Kawasaki dealer today. The owner and I talked for a while about the 2010 Concours. He did his best to be the authority about the 2010 models and I just kind-of nodded and smiled. (he should know how much I have been looking at forums)

'93 K1100RS getting closer to the classifieds......

You and Cathy will never look back, my friend.

I keep thinking I would be happier on an FJR. If only they weren't so friggin expensive.
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwmick wrote:

Mick, just thought I'd let you know I backed out on buying the Connie as well as the FJR. Both were simply to heavy for my riding style these days (I've gotten very comfortable with a bike thats about a 100lbs lighter then my last K11). I was able to get in some good test time on both and they were both very good bikes and I have to admit of the two, I preferred the FJR...but I have to also admit.....when it came time to pull the trigger, the Connie really flipped my switch.

I'm going to stay with the Sprint ST for now and am going ahead with plans for upgrading suspension and replacing all the rusted fasteners to stainless steel (had to do that with my old K11 too....cause I live at the beach). Triumph has a pretty good product now, not like back in the 60's (my old TR lost more oil on the road then it burned). I've run into a number of guys with high miles on their ST's, who've not had any problems with the drive train at all and are very pleased with their bikes.

Would still like to hook up with you and any of the other old timers, when ever you make it out this way again.... Wink

P.S.
Forgot to mention there was one other bike that almost got me off the Sprint. The Yamaha FZ1.......OMG.....what an absolute hoot....only thing was, I'd probably kill myself on that thing.....jezzz, what a bike, light, flickable and very comfortable and light.....and when you pulled the trigger on that baby you'd better be hanging on.... Cool
REDBRICK, '96RS (formerly owned), K11OG#5
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Not a turncoat...and do miss my special K
Ted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Allen!

Have you looked at the new Ducati Multistrada bikes? I think if I were to be buying a non-BMW that would be it Smile
KOG#1
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the reviews and it sounds like Ducati has come up with a really sweet ride with the Multistrada. I almost bought a ST4 a few years ago and was even sitting down filling out the paper work, when I took a break and went back to the service department and asked about service costs. Well, after picking myself up off the floor, I turned around, walked back to the sales office and tore up the paper work and politely declined buying one of those beautiful pieces of machinery. I don't know what the Multistrada service costs will be....but if it's anything like what they have been in the past, I'm not sure it would be at the top of my list. There are a fair number of bikes on the market today that I lust after....the Multistrada would be one of them...it is a gorgeous bike, but I like to think of myself as a practical man with good common sense (I imagine there is at least one or more people here that might disagree with my sentiments though). Bikes have become something of a "how much disposable income do you have" item, if you know what I mean.

Besides there is one lesson I've learned over the years, never to buy any bike the first year of production...maybe not even the next year. I remember in '93 when the K11 first hit the showroom floors....I had to force myself to walk away that year.

I suspect though, that when the time comes you probably won't even have second thoughts about it, after taking one for a test ride. It's been a long time since you gave up your K11......the Multistrada would be an absolute hoot I suspect....and it seems to be the proverbial swiss knife of motorcycles. Ducati has taken the adventure and sport touring concepts and turned them on their nose....and the result is apparently not only visually appealing but rider exhilarating. If you decide to do it....be sure to announce it, I may have second thoughts by then..... Wink
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen,

I also was put off by possible Ducati service costs. Then I found a local (OK, local here is less than 100 miles) certified, independent Ducati wrench http://www.clubhousemotorsports.com/. His rates are right in line with the indy BMW guy's. And he is (IMHO) more accurate and thorough.

On another subject, I have had my Concours for a full season and about 10k miles. Once I became used to the bike's heft it did not feel any worse than my departed K-RS. But it does just about everything better. Slight fuel penalty- I'm averaging 42 mpg, down from just under 50 with the K.
But it is a very good handling rocket ship. And SWMBO likes it much better- what more can I say??

John

'04 K1200GT
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Allen,

I also was put off by possible Ducati service costs. Then I found a local (OK, local here is less than 100 miles) certified, independent Ducati wrench http://www.clubhousemotorsports.com/. His rates are right in line with the indy BMW guy's. And he is (IMHO) more accurate and thorough.

On another subject, I have had my Concours for a full season and about 10k miles. Once I became used to the bike's heft it did not feel any worse than my departed K-RS. But it does just about everything better. Slight fuel penalty- I'm averaging 42 mpg, down from just under 50 with the K.
But it is a very good handling rocket ship. And SWMBO likes it much better- what more can I say??

John

John that just goes to show the differences between us.....I gave up on wives after just one try...... Rolling Eyes For me the lower weight, lighter handling and superb sound coming out of the Sprint is a wonderful alternative to riding two up. IMHO though....having a good copilot would be nice and I would probably drop the Sprint for something like the Connie or FJ...in a heart beat..... Wink
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
carp
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ridden the Bandit 1250s? Mine doesn't feel heavy and has lots of smooth torque down low. Haven't figured out if/what to do about wind management. I got mine with 3000 miles, a yosh, and pilot roads for 4700. Its a lot of bike for that money. Wondering weather to get bags or not. I am keeping the k11Lt for two up, bad weather, long days and plan to use the bandit around town and for corners. I don't think they fit tall people well.
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CARP....yeah I've ridden the big bandit and like it....and have to say it is with out a doubt the biggest bang for the buck on the market Wink

Only thing is it's still on the heavy side for me....getting on in age I prefer to try and stay with a bike that is as easy as possible to manhandle when the key is turned off.

You mentioned you were looking to the Bandit for your speed and curving needs. Have you considered putting some changes into your LT. You can change out the wheels for the earlier model K12's, allowing you to go over to radial tires, redoing the forks and adding a better shock (do I hear OHLINS or WORKS)....just to mention a few upgrades. You've basically got a bullet proof engine (providing you give it loving care) and a bike that still no one has confirmed it's life expectancy. Not a cheap bike by any means of the imagination....with out a doubt.Rolling Eyes

As far as pumping up the Bandit....sounds like you've got the right rubber on it. I'd start out with some soft luggage like Nelson Rigg or Cortec products...check them out over at NEWENOUGH.COM....good place to buy. Wind screens....that's a tough one....I'd check the WEB for owner sites to see what others have gone over to....also note their height, weight and inseam before you make your choice.

You can have a lot of fun when you upgrade your bike...play away man and just remember..........KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP... Smile
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Allen, I'll come "clean".

Rydor had a VERY BAD (good!) effect on me at the last Hungry Mother get-together.......

I'm, uh,...kinda'...uh...thinkin' of a "mid-course" maneuver. Alright, how do I put this without, uh............

OH crap- just spit it out. Think I'm going to go test-ride a new K1300S.

I like the Concours- one VERY FAST M.F. of a bike. But too K-LT for me in riding position, feel and looks. (no hard feelings, you LT people, huh?)

Now to get to MaxBMW and ride a new K bike. Details to follow. SWMBO might understand- if I keep her glass of J.D. filled, of course. Rolling Eyes

'04 K1200GT
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about it....it's considerably lighter too....might want to see if you can negotiate an extended warranty. With what they cost you'd think BMW would provide similar service like the cars....you know, free service for 40,000 miles.....
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
carp
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do need new suspension parts on my K11lt and once I sell the k75 I will get them.
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwmick wrote:

Hey Mick......I'm back at reconsidering the Connie....can you give me an update on your experiences so far?

Thanks..... Mr. Green
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed to even be reading this thread now.

(but I will also be interested in Mick's thoughts....)

'04 K1200GT
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why sad John?
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen,

You haven't read my '93 K1100RS to '09 Concours to '92 K100RS (all in one riding season) trials and tribulations?

'04 K1200GT
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No....why?
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen,

OK then, pull up a comfortable seat and the beverage of your choice.

Read.....

http://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8445&highlight=concours

http://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9613&highlight=concours

Allen, I REALLY wanted to like the C-14 but I/we never got comfortable on it. Even after LOTS of mods (Sargent seat, 3 different windshields, different backrests, mild rearset pegs, grips, passenger drop pegs +).

After I had sold the K1100RS and had the Concours for the summer- even riding to HM III with Paul and Darryl from NZ and doing a solo 900 miles back home in one day........

I told Cathy that I didn't like the bike. She said (literally) oh thank god- "I never liked it either".

So I found the vgc K100RS at MaxBMW NY. Traded in the unloved C-14 (the shirt is no longer on my back) and have been very happy to be back on a K bike. But after stupid $$$$$$.

That was the short version.

Back on a K bike,
John

'04 K1200GT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: