K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old owner considering a new diet of rice....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Old owner considering a new diet of rice.... Reply with quote

Old former K11 owner here for those of you who don't know me. As an update, I had to finally choose a bike that wasn't a BMW after years of a love affair with them. First it was the the Triumph Sprint ST (still owned) and now I'm giving serious consideration to the new 2010 Connie. Seems they've really sorted it out nicely and unlike BMW's continued reputation for problematic production, the Kawi is very non-problematic and all the owners I've spoken to, can do nothing but rave about it's wonderful qualities.

Anyway, the current issue of Motor Cyclist is giving the Connie a glowing review and then MCN comes along with another great review....finally a review that gives the Connie a nod over the K13GT:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2009/December/dec0909-video-kawasaki-gtr-takes-on-bmw-gt/

Thought some of you might appreciate knowing, if you haven't already heard. I miss this site and being a regular part of what goes on...fortunately I'm able to keep in contact with some of you and I have to say that I'm glad to see it still popping with daily postings and happy owners. Keep up the good work Ted and Duck....you guys are great.
REDBRICK, '96RS (formerly owned), K11OG#5
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Not a turncoat...and do miss my special K
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen- you too, huh?

I have been looking at everything I can find regarding the C-14 (GTR1400 in Europe). The 2010 looks like a great bike.

BTW, BMWMick has already done the deed and has a 2010 Concours in his garage.

Have you checked out the Concours forum? http://forum.concours.org/index.php

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Allen- you too, huh?

Have you checked out the Concours forum? http://forum.concours.org/index.php

Oh yes....I've been lurking there for some time.... Rolling Eyes
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never be able to handle a big bike like that. Laughing
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda' looks like a modern version of a K-RS.........

'04 K1200GT
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
You'll never be able to handle a big bike like that. Laughing

Drake, you really know how to hurt a guy.....FYI.....handling won't be the issue, but pushing the thing around would Sad I used to hate to have to push around my RS. Now on the other hand the Sprint is much easier to push around and about 100 pounds lighter the my old RS.

The other bike I had been checking out is the new VFR, which I saw at the Long Beach show last weekend. But considering it's almost 100 pounds heavier then my ST and has about the same amount of wind protection (don't you dare make any wind in my hair jokes either), I've pretty much written it off.
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bike!! I've always liked Connies...glad they updated the style. They sort out the high speed wobble and heat issues. (I might be confusing the wobble with the ST1300)
drmalacarne
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Connie 14 will be available in Brazil by oficial agents (it is by private importers), could be one of my choices whem I'll trade my KLT.
That's a great bike!
The heat problem in the first year is reallly a issue here in the tropical climate.
Gui
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen, that Kaw would be my choice also. Read the piece in M/C also. I also remember from waaay back that you have problem with speed. Not a good prescription in my learned opinion. Very Happy
K11 OG #466
drikko
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At over 310 kilos its as heavy as a sherman tank!! Wouldn't want it to fall over!

DISCLAIMER:- Anything I say may have been when I was drunk so please don't take it personally.

'Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is the same.'
Oscar Wilde
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Connies Reply with quote

Hot & heavy.

At anything around semi normal speed, all is good handling wise on them.

My buddy has one. WAY more ponies than my 93 RS & yet he still can't
get away from me.
I stuffed him on an inside tight pass & scared him good. No paint scrape & no he was NOT in danger. I just don't think he thought I'd go that deep that fast while he was braking & setting up. 2 more corners left right & power down and I put more than a third of a mile on him before he got it cookin and came up on me like a freight train.
He likes his a lot, way big with the add on's. Bigger screen, wants a pipe & a chip now. It is HOT on summer days and when run even the least bit hard the gas mileage dips quickly. Of course we all like good gas mileage, but then, that's really not why we ride them is it.
Looks pretty straight forward to work on too.
What the hay. Lifes to short to be brand loyal. Ride what stirs your soul.

I get the biggest kick out of the comments my 93 draws. I get bigger kicks out of what it will do in the right hands. It fit's me, for now. I don't know why. It's really NOT logical, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
Please yourself, be true to yourself, happiness will follow.

Oh, and if you change up, over or what ever direction you take, share pics, share your thoughts, don't forget us.
Ted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Allen!!!

You should also consider buying an older K75RT (I just did Wink )

That said, that Kawa looks pretty sweet - ABS and Fi?
KOG#1
supercat1
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Connies Reply with quote

jpberens1994K1100RS wrote:
What the hay. Lifes to short to be brand loyal. Ride what stirs your soul.

very true. I love my 328i and the krs, but it wasn't by intentional design I only own bavarian vehicles. They just happened to be the two that fit my price ranges and desires the best. And yeah, I still get excited to drive either one every time I go in the garage. I don't personally know anyone who has a car (or bike) I would trade for. Not even my dad's 911 carerra. Now if he gets the s1000rr he's been talking about maybe ...

jpberens1994K1100RS wrote:
I get the biggest kick out of the comments my 93 draws. I get bigger kicks out of what it will do in the right hands. It fit's me, for now.

very true. Even to this day after working at my employer for 1.5 years, people still comment on my car and bike. Granted i've only had the bike since august. But man it really got the union guys riled up to not have some minnesota steel sitting in the lot. They josh about it, but definitely all have complimented the bike and it gets looks from everyone that passes by.

I looked at an older concours when shopping for bikes because of how it is intended towards the same market, it was just out of my price range.
Allen Nelson
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Howdy Allen!!!

You should also consider buying an older K75RT (I just did Wink )

That said, that Kawa looks pretty sweet - ABS and Fi?

Hey Ted.....it's been a long time since I last heard from you....it's always good to hear from you. I remember (like it was yesterday) your email years ago asking what I thought about creating a K11 Owners site....well, you made the right decision as far as I'm concerned....still to this day. Glad to see you've gotten a new bike....I take it everything has healed sufficiently.

I have to admit I miss my K11RS....she was a sweet bike, but she could really burn me on those hot days in slow traffic. And like stated here, I always got looks and comments from people. I have to admit though, along the line of the comments here, miles per gallon do play a role for me (another reason why I've got the Sprint @ 45 to 55 MPG)...and obviously the lighter the bike (usually) the longer the tires last...so for me, beside the adrenaline factor, cost of ownership is a determining factor and high on my list when choosing a new bike. Course that couldn't have anything to do with my age....although I have to admit I've slowed down considerably of late. I always enjoy going to the Rock store early on Saturday or Sunday mornings to see all the old timers riding their rockets, gives me a kick in the arse...to see some of those guys in their 70's and 80's still kicking up their sidestands. Interesting enough, unlike in my younger years, the other old timers aren't into pissing contests anymore (you know who can do it the highest and farthest) if we go fast it's not to show off as much as to prove to ourselves that we still can....course we have to clean our underwear more frequently....... Rolling Eyes

This is still a great site with members who obviously share in a friendly enthusiasm for motorcycling....I'm very glad to see it retains that quality.

Now, back to bikes...more specifically...BMW's.....if I could afford it and had the dollars to burn to keep it on the road I would jump on a K13S over everything else on the road, with out a question.... Wink

But the simple fact is I don't have the money, so until an unknown wealthy relative dies and leaves me a fortune or I win the lottery........I will continue to be frugal in my choices of bikes (FYI..when I bought my first new K11RS..I paid $11,800 OTD).....BTW, from the owners I've spoke to, if you can keep from putting your wrist to deep into it, the Connie will give you a healthy 40 - 45 MPG.....and handles well with it's size and weight (unless your trying to push it around of course)...found that out a few months ago on a test ride.
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen,

I have been going back and forth between a K13S and the Concours myself.
Been reading up on the K1300's wherever I can, but have too many doubts about BMW, their current build quality and (most of all) their willingness to address owner's comments/concerns/complaints.

....and what about BMW's selling out on their turn signal switchgear??

Not to be influenced by having a good Kaw dealer 20 min. away vs. BMW dealer 2+ hours south.

Question

John

'04 K1200GT
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Hi John....

Re: ""....and what about BMW's selling out on their turn signal switchgear?? ""

What's that about ?? BTW, I rode the Kawa Concours last summer and it may be my imagination but the width, and rider posture, made it seem "fat" to me. Quality and engineering wise however its a nice machine. Re the "dealer" HK, being the owner of two Kawa products, the service there could be better and is just as pricey as BMW for parts.

Regards...........// Ernie-NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K13 models seem to have a problem with the engine cutting off - which BMW is in denial about, of course. I don't think that's a very good quality in a bike...
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since Hitler got a GS, BMW has gone to shit.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie,

The 1300 series bikes are the first BMWs to have a Japanese style turn signal switch- single switch on the left grip. That in itself should not be a problem (matter of fact for those of us with multiple brands of bikes in the garage it should be less confusing).

But as Jim indicated the sudden engine shutdown is a problem http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37359 and the US DOT is aware of it.

BMW at first tried to blame it on the type of gas that owners were using (!) then shifted slightly to say owners should use a certain gas additive.

Some thought that the newer, smaller handlebar switch(s) could be at fault and/or from what I have read there seems to be a fix with a software update.

Initally BMW was all about denying a problem existed- great, huh- buy a bike that ranges from $15k+ to $23k and the manufacturer says that isn't their problem if it occasionally just shuts off.

As we all know- almost all the posts are from those that are experiencing this- not too many write about the fact that their bike DOESN'T do it.

So that is what might send me in the direction of a Concours. We'll see....

John

'04 K1200GT
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning John....

Does that machine use the CANBUS electrical system ?? In my opinion NOTHING BUT trouble ! In the mid 80s I bought 20 new Injection molding machines in Germany to augment 120 "identical" machines already in daily production. The machine manufacturer insisted that CANBUS was infallible and trouble free... nothing could have been further from the truth, plus they insisted with equal ferocity that all these problems were the fault of mis-operation by factory personnel and had nothing to do with the new CANBUS control system,,, despite the fact that 120 of their identical model machines purchased "pre CANBUS" with conventional relay logic were running simultaneously with no operational problems. I dont believe it's a matter of the CANBUS technology however but rather simple matter of robustness. ( ie: wire size, contact type, shielding, routing, etc ) Perhaps it s the same with the BMW 'K1300 switch problem that you mentioned. It seems the execution/application of CANBUS could use re-examination.

Best regards.....// Ernie-NH ( Cold ...eh? )
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: