K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bike dollies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: bike dollies Reply with quote

I couldn't find the post - someone was recently looking for an easy way to move their K around in the garage. Look no more: http://legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm and http://www.turnabike.com/
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
ColoradoRod
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of the stands from Legal Speeding. It looks like the other brand is pretty much the same thing--only made out of aluminum. Mine is quite heavy and is made out of steel. It already flexes a little bit under the weight of the bike so I'm not sure if I'd really want one made from aluminum.

The stand itself works well and allowed me to position my K11LT in front of my vehicle against the front wall of my (then) single-car garage. A couple of caveats and suggestions:

1. I'm 41 years old and slightly out of shape (assuming the desired shape is something other than round). I've pulled my back a couple of times trying to horse my bike around on the stand. It seems easy to start twisting and pulling in the wrong direction.

2. It's definitely more difficult to get the bike on its centerstand with the added thickness of the dolly. The base barely clears the concrete, but between this clearance and the thickness of the metal, it does raise the "ground" level that the centerstand must rest on by ~3/4". Enough to make it noticeably more difficult than normal centerstand operations.

3. Be sure your garage floor is absolutely clean. I managed to dump my K11LT in the garage by having the centerstand retract as I was pushing the bike forward. The dolly wheels caught on a bit of sand on the garage floor. The momentum of the bike caused it to travel forward while the dolly stopped abruptly. My arms were extended by the pushing motion and I was left with very little leverage to stop the fall. (See point 1, above) I let go about 2 nanoseconds after I felt my back crunch.

Overall, I the problems I have with the stand are mostly self-inflicted. I'd definitely recommend the stand for tighter long-term storage or if it makes the difference between inside parking or outside parking.

I'm happy to say that I've recently upgraded to a 2-car garage so my bike-jockeying activities have been greatly reduced.

Hope this helps someone.

Rod
1996 K11LT 23,xxx miles
Mystic Red
Loveland, CO
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColoradoRod wrote:

Hope this helps someone

Rod,

This helps me a lot!!

The only bike I've ever dropped is an LT and that that too at 0 mph (TWICE!!). Reading your review convinced me that this "nice to have" toy is something I should stay away from.

Sanjiv
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it in my head to design and build a low platform with casters with a ramp on each end. You could ride up on to it in the garage, roll it around as needed, and rotate it to point out the door. Ideas like this usually need to percolate in my head for quite a while before starting. Anyone wish to collaborate on design?

I've also considered a small, motorcycle only garage with a turntable in the middle but that's probably not going to happen.

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 37000 miles, sold Sad
2009 Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155 ST
2002 Litespeed titanium
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Hi Jim...

I had the notion to build an almost "floor level" platform appx 20" wide, casters front and rear, with a wheel chock on the front end and auxilliary 'tie down' loops on each side. It has thus far been just a notion, and like you, I have to ruminate on ideas for quite a while before taking any action. What are your ideas or thinking ??

Regards...........// Ernie-NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
2xcelr8
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saltcreek wrote:
I've had it in my head to design and build a low platform with casters with a ramp on each end. You could ride up on to it in the garage, roll it around as needed, and rotate it to point out the door. Ideas like this usually need to percolate in my head for quite a while before starting. Anyone wish to collaborate on design?

I've also considered a small, motorcycle only garage with a turntable in the middle but that's probably not going to happen.

Check this out as an option!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95896
Saltcreek
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking of 3/4 plywood on as many 2" casters as needed to support the load. Then maybe the ramps attached so they could slide. I think the trick is how to keep the thing from movinf while you go up the ramp.

1994 K1100LT Mystic Red, bfd, 37000 miles, sold Sad
2009 Wilderness Systems Zephyr 155 ST
2002 Litespeed titanium
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/K1100LT/1624660.html

86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
floranicolas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WFW Tow Dollies provide safe, controllable car towing platforms. The Tow Dollies are restricted with a maximum width of 79”. Both tow dollies are rigging friendly and have a ride height of 3” to provide a natural looking driving shot.The WFW Bike Trailer is an excellent shooting platform at a size of 6’x8’ for both rider and lighting equipment.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with this one: http://www.turnabike.com/products/saddle/

With the hospital grade double casters, and structural grade aluminum, it works just fine - even on the diamond pattern floor.

If there is a concern about the center stand retracting, it should be securely strapped to prevent it from retracting.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Can you please post a close up pic of your bike on the dolly. How many inches of height does this add? Getting the LT on & off the center stand is already entertaining enough......

Sanjiv
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I get the front wheel back from the wheel straightener. Don't hold your breath...

Sanjiv - it does not add inches. This thing rides just above floor level. I'll post a pic of the dolly.

Sonu wrote:
Jim,

Can you please post a close up pic of your bike on the dolly. How many inches of height does this add? Getting the LT on & off the center stand is already entertaining enough......

Sanjiv

1992 K75RTP 46,000

cburgess594

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonu wrote:
Jim,

Sanjiv

Like to see it closer.
RobBowker
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Trolley Dollies? Reply with quote

Thanks all for the useful info. After some bike jockeying last week I ended up with a very painful and slow healing pull in my left shoulder. It could have been anything but everything points to hefting my (now sold) NTV650 and (more likely) my K1100. It seems there are three options:

1] A turntable: my first choice but would require pinpoint accuracy in a tight fitting garage and at least some extra effort getting the beast on the centre stand. Also, quite a bit more than 50% of the mass of the bike is in front of the centre stand so it wouldn't be a simple pivot as surely the front wheel would need lifting to do a pirouette?

2] A centre stand dolly: these seem to add a bit more height to lift on the centre stand than the turntable option. Rolling resistance of those small 2-3" castors plus having to raise the front wheel sort of suggest this is not ideal.

3] A ride-on dolly trough like the Harbor Freight with a supported side stand plate. On a reasonably smooth floor surface, anyone should be able to deploy a side stand at an inch or so off the ground. Yes, the castor wheels seem a bit small, but at least replacable and there are five of them but the major concerns in options 1 and 2 are completely overcome since only the side stand is used and there's no need to lift the front to pivot the bike.

FWIW, I'm 5' 10" and weigh 145lb - somewhere sort of muscle-bound but reasonably fit. My garage floor is not perfectly smooth or screeded but a pretty flat, rough tamped texture.

I know a side stand + both wheels off the ground dolly is going to be useless for most maintenance tasks and will drop a little oil towards the head but this is really just for turning the bike round so I can drive it straight out of the garage rather than lug/paddle it backwards the 40 or so yards down my narrow driveway to the road. I'm pretty sure this is where my shoulder muscle got pulled out of shape.

Any hands-on experience or warnings to point me in the right direction would be very welcome and could help me avoid the shoulder torture of the last week.
1981 CX500B (sold)
1981 Honda C70 (sold)
1981 Honda C90 (written off on a gravelly bend!)
1960s BSA Bantam D7 (never did get it running)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: