K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to post pictures - again....

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 9609
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: How to post pictures - again.... Reply with quote

Since the last sticky got archived away, here it is again. (And I'm saving a copy on my PC.)

Here's an outline of the process:

1 - Take the picture

2 - Crop/resize the picture

3 - Upload the picture to a 3rd party host

4 - Link the image in your post


1 - Take the picture: Once you've taken the picture, it will probably be a jpeg file on your camera.

2 - Crop/resize the picture: this is a critical step. Given how many mega pixels cameras have these days, if you post the raw image it will not fit on a screen and will mangle the format of a thread to accommodate the width of the image.

Just about any graphics program can do this. I recommend that you use a maximum width of 700 pixels and a jpeg quality factor of 80-85. Using a jpeg quality factor in that range greatly reduces the file size so the image will load faster.

If you're not a computer graphics whiz and using Windows, PhotoRazor is a simple program for accomplishing this task. If you need help figuring out how to use PhotoRazor, post in this thread asking for help and I'll create another sticky on how to use it.

PhotoRazor can be safely downloaded at this link:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/PhotoRazor.html

If you're looking for a freeware graphics program that has lots of features, then IrfanView is good and also has a batch conversion capability which will resize several pictures at once.

IrfanView can be safely downloaded at this link:
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/IrfanView/irfan.html


3 - Upload the picture to a 3rd party host: The phpBB software for this forum does not support attaching image files to posts like some other forum software packages. Therefore, you need to use a third party host for your resized pictures. A third party host is a site where you can upload your pictures to have them stored online. You can then embed them in your posts here as described in Step 4 below.

There are numerous free and paid third party hosts on the Internet. I use one called Photobucket. It is free, easy to use and allows you to store collections of photos in different albums to keep them organized.

You can sign up for a free Photobucket account here:
http://register.photobucket.com/

By using the control key, you can upload multiple files at once.

4 - Link the image in your post: At least in Photobucket, when you roll your mouse over the image thumbnail, a dropdown will appear. Copy the text from the "IMG code" box and paste it in the thread where you want the picture to appear.

For example, if I want a picture of my badass K1100RS to show in a thread, the text in my post will look like this:



And my badass K1100RS will appear in the thread:



If you're hosting the picture somewhere else, then put the complete URL(http://........) between the image tags and Note the use of square brackets.

If you want to post a picture from somewhere else on the Internet. Right-click Properties on the image, copy the URL and place it between the image tags and

For example the picture URL for a 2008 K1200S on the BMW site is http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/bikes/k1200s/overview_photos/night_black.gif

Put it between the IMG tags and it looks like this:



Note that you can also use the IMG button above the post authoriing box to generate the IMG start and end tags. Also make sure there aren't any spaces between the url and the img tags.
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE


Last edited by Flying Duck on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 1402
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Duck, I was looking for this a few weeks ago to refresh my memory and could not find it, now I know why.

This is a most helpful post!
_________________
Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
93 K1100RS Mystic Red SOLD
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 9609
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping so it doesn't get archived. Rolling Eyes
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Posts: 2330
Location: Twin Lakes Idaho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2 - Crop/resize the picture: this is a critical step. Given how many mega pixels cameras have these days, if you post the raw image it will not fit on a screen and will mangle the format of a thread to accommodate the width of the image.


I was just wondering if this step was included in the Sticky, and yep it is. Wink
_________________
Scott Hespelt, '94 K11LT
K11 OG #466
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 162
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey is it just me or is the image 'dropbox' on Photobucket not working? Normally I just have to put my cursor on a photo that I want to link here and the drop box appears and I copy the URL, now it doesn't anymore! Help!

Chris
_________________
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
old guy old bike
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 373
Location: Lisbon, OH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
I just put the pointer over the picture I want, right click and then hit the "copy image location" button. Don't know if it matters but I am using Windows XP.
Jeff
_________________
1993 K1100LT
2003 K1200GT Gone but not forgotten
2014 Victory Crossraods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ChrisWeeK1100RS
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 162
Location: Malaysia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old guy old bike wrote:
Chris,
I just put the pointer over the picture I want, right click and then hit the "copy image location" button. Don't know if it matters but I am using Windows XP.
Jeff


Thanks Jeff, I'll give it a go Smile

Chris
_________________
"Ride hard or stay home..."
'93 BMW K1100RS
Mileage: 37,000km-ish
Malaysia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2986
Location: Central Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisWeeK1100RS wrote:
Hey is it just me or is the image 'dropbox' on Photobucket not working? Normally I just have to put my cursor on a photo that I want to link here and the drop box appears and I copy the URL, now it doesn't anymore! Help!

Chris


Now that you say that Chris, I have noticed the same thing. I've had to select(left click) the 'share' link so that it opens a new box and then select the 'get link' options.

That's been the last couple of days, now today it looks to be working normally again.
_________________
Ride safe.


1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Off the grid
Chaotic Good


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3414
Location: At the local taco truck waiting for Jo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about embedding videos?
_________________
Bane of your existence since July 2006
2007 Triumph Tiger ABS. "Sabertooth"
2009 Husqvarna TE610. "The dirty Italian mistress"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl


Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 9609
Location: Bumf***, WA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the grid wrote:
What about embedding videos?


I don't think that's possible on phpBB. Sad
_________________
93 LT (x2)
94 RS
86-97 K75F(K75/100/1100 Frankenbrick)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Delbert



Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Location: Midlands England

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the people who have climbed into bed with Steve Jobs having had enough of Bill Gates?
_________________
No one can hear you scream on the back of a 'K'

K1100LT SE with a genuine 5K on the clock Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jim
Site Admin


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 3717
Location: WHERETHEFUNNEVERENDS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delbert wrote:
What about the people who have climbed into bed with Steve Jobs having had enough of Bill Gates?


We can post pix, too... Laughing
_________________
Jim
1997 K1100LTSE 94,000
1995 R100RT Classic 13,000 Beemered
1991 K75RTP 46,000 - in progress
1992 R100R 22,000 - FOR SALE

"Smokin' that stuff'll make you hurt yourself" Bonnie Rait​ (Vera/Taylor/Hirsch)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
robleyd
Flying Brick Rider


Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Posts: 392
Location: Murbko, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so can the penguin people Very Happy Very Happy
_________________
David, owner of:
1996 K1100 LT
1969 Triumph Bonneville
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Delbert



Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Location: Midlands England

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can post pix, too... Laughing[/quote]

How Jim, How Confused
_________________
No one can hear you scream on the back of a 'K'

K1100LT SE with a genuine 5K on the clock Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
floranicolas



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks duck.ur post is useful info.nice to meet u.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acentistaha



Joined: 28 Sep 2017
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to post pictures - again.... Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
Since the last sticky got archived away, here it is again. (And I'm saving a copy on my PC.)

Here's an outline of the process:

1 - Take the picture

2 - Crop/resize the picture

3 - Upload the picture to a 3rd party host

4 - Link the image in your post


1 - Take the picture: Once you've taken the picture, it will probably be a jpeg file on your camera.

2 - Crop/resize the picture: this is a critical step. Given how many mega pixels cameras have these days, if you post the raw image it will not fit on a screen and will mangle the format of a thread to accommodate the width of the image.

Just about any graphics program can do this. I recommend that you use a maximum width of 700 pixels and a jpeg quality factor of 80-85. Using a jpeg quality factor in that range greatly reduces the file size so the image will load faster.

If you're not a computer graphics whiz and using Windows, PhotoRazor is a simple program for accomplishing this task. If you need help figuring out how to use PhotoRazor, post in this thread asking for help and I'll create another sticky on how to use it.

PhotoRazor can be safely downloaded at this link:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/PhotoRazor.html

If you're looking for a freeware graphics program that has lots of features, then IrfanView is good and also has a batch conversion capability which will resize several pictures at once.

IrfanView can be safely downloaded at this link:
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/IrfanView/irfan.html


3 - Upload the picture to a 3rd party host: The phpBB software for this forum does not support attaching image files to posts like some other forum software packages. Therefore, you need to use a third party host for your resized pictures. A third party host is a site where you can upload your pictures to have them stored online. You can then embed them in your posts here as described in Step 4 below.

There are numerous free and paid third party hosts on the Internet. I use one called Photobucket. It is free, easy to use and allows you to store collections of photos in different albums to keep them organized.

You can sign up for a free Photobucket account here:
http://register.photobucket.com/

By using the control key, you can upload multiple files at once.

4 - Link the image in your post: At least in Photobucket, when you roll your mouse over the image thumbnail, a dropdown will appear. Copy the text from the "IMG code" box and paste it in the thread where you want the picture to appear.

For example, if I want a picture of my badass K1100RS to show in a thread, the text in my post will look like this:



And my badass K1100RS will appear in the thread:



If you're hosting the picture somewhere else, then put the complete URL(http://........) between the image tags and Note the use of square brackets.

If you want to post a picture from somewhere else on the Internet. Right-click Properties on the image, copy the URL and place it between the image tags and

For example the picture URL for a 2008 K1200S on the BMW site is http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/images/bikes/k1200s/overview_photos/night_black.gif

Put it between the IMG tags and it looks like this:



Note that you can also use the IMG button above the post authoriing box to generate the IMG start and end tags. Also make sure there aren't any spaces between the url and the img tags.


Thanks for the tips.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Pictures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group