K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm going to be sick...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Townsend
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: I'm going to be sick... Reply with quote

I wanna throw up. I just dropped my bike in the garage, backing it off the lift...alone Embarassed It fell away from me, and all I could do was watch.

I had literally just finished fixing some drop damage by the PO, along with new tires, brakes, fluids etc. I was backing it off the ramp for the test ride when I lost it.

08 R1200GSA (found 6th gear)
93 K1100RS (on the lift)
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the brighter side, at least you didn't drop in on YOU.
I about lost mine taking it off of a trailer once, I lost my balance for a moment. Fortunately this was before I broke my foot, so I was able to keep it upright. Amazing what a little(ok...a lot) of adreneline can acomplish.
Mine happens to be setting in about 1/2" of ice in my garage right now. I don't think I'm going to try to move it anytime soon.

Good luck, ride safe

Scott
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: DROP Reply with quote

so, Dave - what's the damage? Hope it's not too bad. At least you are not hurt. I've had two low speed drops - thank goodness and BMW for crash bars and luggage!

As far as trailers - well, I have the old man's trailer for the K - the bed cranks down to the pavement for easy on and off. http://www.jwww.com/razor/
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Ted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two low-speed drops myself Smile
KOG#1
Colorado Bear
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two no-speed drops, both whilst heavily loaded. The worst was after packing up all for ride to Yellowstone, headed to local gas station to top it off before heading out. Trying to put it on the center stand to get the most possible gas in the tank, it was just too heavy for me - after expelling all of my energy on the second attempt, it started to get away and I couldn't hold her up. Fell over into the gas pump, and I had to ask the station owner to help me get it back up. Thankfully no damage to pump, but cracked the fairing a bit and bruised my pride more... Embarassed
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No low speed drops for me. But one day I stopped to take a picture from my K75RT. I'd ridden about 10 hours so far that day - when a BIG sidewind pushed the fully loaded bike past the tipping point. I was able to give it a somewhat graceful landing at least. But got some mirror and fairing lower scrapes.

I have a buddy who started his lift going down and turned his back. There was a work stool under one of the sides of the lift that he hadn't moved. Both the bike AND the lift went over. Not pretty.

Gravity always wins - eventually.

Fix her up and put it behind you.

(And don't throw up on the bike.)
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Dave Townsend
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all I've found so far. Judging by some of these stories, I guess it could've been worse Shocked

Had a clear landing zone except for the tire vise lying on the floor up front. A couple of nice gouge marks and a hairline crack above the mirror. The mirror popped off nicely, but the signal lens is loose on the end, and there's a rattle inside the mirror. That can't be good:

That there's a bona fide crack. I can live with it for now.

The right bar end took all the impact. The bars are square to the bike, but the fork tree and instrument panel are not:

Minimal damage in the rear. Between here and the front end, not a scratch:

I've been thinking about a Klinker-style bar conversion.This might be the time to do it.

Oh yeah, one more thing - it won't start now. I started the bike and brought it up to temperature three times on the rack, so I know its from the drop. I've been wanting to learn more about electrical, so here's my chance.

Man, all I wanted to do was go for a ride. The bike's been on the lift for awhile, and the weather here has turned crazy good (low 70's and sunny). It was finally MY day. The work was done, and it was time to go scrub in the new tires and seat the new brakes. And now this. There might as well be three feet of snow on the ground Laughing

93 K1100RS (on the lift)
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't beat yourself up.

It's something we all have yet to do.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks.

But it doesn't look that bad. For the cracks on the upper fairing "arm" get a NAPA fiberglass repair kit. Reinforce everyhthng from behind with two layers of fiberglass. Then have a painter fill and sand out the outer side of it (unless you're confident doing that yourself.) I redid a K100RS4V fairing like that which was broken worse and it came out great in the end.

And don't beat yourself up over it - "chit" happens. Rolling Eyes

As the old saying goes, experience teaches us things we wish that we didn't have to want to have to learn.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another old saying that I've heard:
There are 2 kinds of bikes- those that have been down, and those that will go down.

I've personally dropped mine 3 times standing still and probably 2 times in a too tight of a low speed turn, and 1 time some idiot made a left turn in front of me. I stood on the brakes and got stopped but lost my balance and dropped it in the middle of the street. Everyone around shook their head in discust at the other driver, but do you think anyone would help me pick the bike back up? NOT.

Ride safe.

Scott.
drmalacarne
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yhe K bike has a high gravity center, and low speeds maneuvres could be risky, primarily for shot legs riders.
Check yours boots for a good grip with the ground, and never apply the brakes suddenly!
I ride my KLT in slow velocities likes a Queen Elizabeth ship.
Guilherme.
Technician
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathise with you, I've not actually dropped the K11 but did sit in my tent looking out the door and just watch it slowly topple over on the right hand side, luckily as it was on the field there was no damage apart from the usual popping mirror syndrome.
"Run it round the block to see if the wheels fall off!!!!"
HoosierStu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ALWAYS sit on the bike when taking it off the stand or pushing it around. I may look silly but will hopefully avoid one of these drops.
Klinker
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm going to be sick... Reply with quote

Dave Townsend wrote:
I wanna throw up. I just dropped my bike in the garage, backing it off the lift...alone Embarassed It fell away from me, and all I could do was watch.

Sucks being you, man. And I have to admit having that crappy feeling in the gut that I imagine you have. Been there.

Like HoosierStu, I've never tried to get the bike off centerstand from the side - only while in the saddle. I also tend to push the thing around the garage, etc., while holding both bars. I watch those guys in the shop that move bikes all the time just grab hold of the close bar and just rest a hand on the seat, but I don't have that level of confidence.

Hang in there, you'll get it sorted.

Only the Reasonists. They believe in an evidence-based world, something called Rationalism. But it's a tiny group, not so influential.
- Page Griffin
ljjohns
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped the K11 once in five years--on a sloping parking lot in front of my troops (who cheerfully helped me right it).

Since going over to the K12LT darkside, the drops have multiplied, as they apparently do for most of my brethren on this side...
Mystic Red
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I ALWAYS sit on the bike when taking it off the stand or pushing it around. I may look silly but will hopefully avoid one of these drops.

Quote:
Like HoosierStu, I've never tried to get the bike off centerstand from the side - only while in the saddle. I also tend to push the thing around the garage, etc., while holding both bars. I watch those guys in the shop that move bikes all the time just grab hold of the close bar and just rest a hand on the seat, but I don't have that level of confidence.

Quote:
I just dropped my bike in the garage, backing it off the lift...alone

You can't be on the bike to put it on or off a lift. Unless you have a 45" inseam. Very Happy
K11 OG #466
Moondog
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped mine twice at stop signs. AND the same place! Ya think I'd learn! My local instructor and I talked about it and I told him I was using the front brakes to stop and he said one is better off using the rear brake the closer to the stop one gets. Prevents the front from grabing and if the bars are turned one way or the other to continue, that is the way she will fall. Something to practice with this summer. I must have missed that when I took the riders course.

I like the social aspect of riding. Rally's, socializing, drinking beer, fartin' and carrying on. Smile

2004 R1150RS
1996 K1100RS (moved on to new home)
beemeerr11
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped mine one night after washing all the bugs off it, I have a big rubber matt she parkes on and all was wet when I went to put he on the centre stand, my thong broke, bike went over and landed on my wifes three week old mountain bike, as the rubber was slippery from being wet, I needed a second person to help, the wife saw her bike and said "Oh my God, my bike", what about mine I say????? As a result, thank heaven they have the crash bar, and a slight scape from her new mountain bike, otherwise all was O.K.

Lou 95LT
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my thong broke

wtf details
Dave Townsend
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea I was in such distinguished company. My first thought after it happened (after the "oh chit") was to go tell the only people in the world who would give a damn. Your responses have been overwhelming.

I found more damage this morning. Look at this:

Kinda cockeyed, ain't it? I've never removed the upper fairing, but I'm hoping its nothing more serious than some bent mounting brackets. The bike was on the lift when I lost it, so it fell greater than 90 degrees before smacking the concrete floor. That's quite a shot.

I bought a lift this winter because I wanted to do more of my own work, learn, and have fun. And it HAS been fun! I can do brakes, tires, change fluids, check valves, synch throttle bodies etc. I'm just beginning to venture out past what I consider to be "basic maintenance." I should've waited for help before trying to back the bike off the lift, but I'm 6'2" 220lbs. and figured I could handle it. I haven't ridden since New Year's Day, the bike was finally ready, and I was itching to go. Live and learn.

I have to make a decision quickly. Given the time, I could probably fix all this damage myself. However, I have a ride planned to Death Valley and Phoenix in about 6 weeks. I'm not sure I can pull it off by then. I can't take my other bike because it needs a spline lube (another job I'm working my way up to). I work in the insurance industry, so I'm trying to decide if I want to go that route and file a claim. There's enough damage here to justify it, but not enough to total the bike. You never know what an adjuster's gonna do, tho. That would really suck if they tried to total it. The upside is I'll get a new fairing and not a patched one. That alone would cover the deductible. I can't delay reporting much longer if I'm gonna turn in a claim...maybe another 24 hrs.

93 K1100RS (on the lift)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: