K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid idea or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Stupid idea?
Yes. I want some of what you're smoking.
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
No. Great idea. I'll try it and tell you how it works out.
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 14

Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Stupid idea or not? Reply with quote

OK, here's a little thought I had on getting more heat away from the rider on a K11RS. It's a brainstroming idea and I'm just throwing this out to see what people think.

Idea: Most PC fans are 12V DC and move about 32cfm(cubic feet/minute) of air. (And they're pretty cheap too. Very Happy ) My idea is to mount one or two of these on each side inside the side vents of the RS lowers - hoping to push more air/heat out of the side before it can toast the rider. I think it would have the most advantage at low speeds - like stuck in traffic on a hot day.

I'm just wondering if that much ariflow would be enough to make a difference.

Or maybe find a small car fan or fan from another type of bike that would fit in there? Question
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
DaveVoorhis
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid idea or not? Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
OK, here's a little thought I had on getting more heat away from the rider on a K11RS. It's a brainstroming idea and I'm just throwing this out to see what people think.

Idea: Most PC fans are 12V DC and move about 32cfm(cubic feet/minute) of air. (And they're pretty cheap too. Very Happy ) My idea is to mount one or two of these on each side inside the side vents of the RS lowers - hoping to push more air/heat out of the side before it can toast the rider. I think it would have the most advantage at low speeds - like stuck in traffic on a hot day.

I'm just wondering if that much ariflow would be enough to make a difference.

Or maybe find a small car fan or fan from another type of bike that would fit in there? Question

Damn, I got all confused by the "Yes" and "No" thang, and clicked the wrong answer on the poll. What I meant to click was, "No, I think it's a great idea." Try it. I have my doubts that a standard PC fan will push sufficient air to make a noticeable difference, but bigger fans -- like the blowers from an early IBM AS400 -- probably would.
Dave #3
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS/400? Boy, that takes me back. I used to work on those back in the late 80s. Shocked

Do you think an AS/400 fan would fit in there? I'll have to open things up and take some measurements to find what the max allowable dimensions are.

Yeah, I think the little PC fans might not push enough air. Maybe I'll do some more searching on ebay for a beefier 12V DC fan.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's worth a try. How about another bmw radiator fan? I don't know how much room your dealing with here, but I'm not to sure about the p.c. fan idea. If it's that hot to cook you you'll surely toast one of those little fans. I think Dave is on track about a larger mainframe fan, though some of them are 120vac. Check with some of your p.c. recycler's in your area they may have something.

edit, You could look at www.grainger.com at least to look at the specs of what you need. Then look to buy on e-bay.

Last edited by Scott_Anderson on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the option for, "by all means try it and let us know how it turns out"

Very Happy
desert661

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Let me know how it works... Reply with quote

I was considering doing the same thing. At a traffic light, the RS1100 cooks the rider...at least in the Antelope Valley heat. On the road, it is not a problem. On the fourth of July it was about 105-110 when I road though Victorville, Lucerne Valley to the 29 Palms area. I held it at a bit faster than posted speeds for quite a while (40 miles) and no high speed heat problems. The problem is in the 0-5 mph range on mild to hot days.
HoosierStu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to do it, do it right.

Get a 120 mm case fan from Newegg.com. It will move much more air and run quieter.
will3hawks
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: extra fans Reply with quote

great concept! Stay with automotive/motorcycle spec fans which can withstand the heat. Tried computer fans on an airhead oil cooler and they simply used electricity with no cooling improvement, but a Volkswagon cooling fan (if it fits) could move a significant amount of air if angled and ducted properly. Keep us posted!

Regards,

Will
"Even if I should die on the road, this would be the will of heaven"
Matsuo Basho, 1644-1694
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: