K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project creep, or "Boy, that was an expensive tire!&quo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Project creep, or "Boy, that was an expensive tire!&quo Reply with quote

So when I bought my K1100LT a couple of years ago I knew that the tires were getting close to the 5 year old mark, and they were getting worn. I replaced the back tire that year before going on a trip to NC. The front tire was in good shape at the time.

Two years later and it was time for the front. My local guy that used to mount tires and balance for $25 a tire has retired and closed up shop. I went with my local dealership. Do not scream or moan that I spent too much because my father worked at a dealership for years and I know the importance of keeping them healthy.

The cost of the tire, while high was inline with the prices I have been seeing online, within $10. While taking the wheel I noticed that my floating disk bobbins were loose. Yep, easy job just need to order the parts. Also, while taking the tire off I noticed that the front brake pads, while not totally shot were pretty worn. OK.

I had trouble tracking the brake pads down. The dealership wanted $114 a pair. Nope. I found some on Ebay for $9.99 a pair. Hmmm, seemed suspect. So I went through Dennis Kirk and got the best quality Galfer pads for $34.95 a pair. Seemed much more in line with reality.

For the brake bobbins I went with EME in Denver. The parts were $171 with $12 shipping. Not too bad. I have done that job myself and it just takes a couple of hours, and isn't that difficult, just tedious.

All told that brings the price of my new front tire to: $578.75. The wheel and tire are done, but I am waiting on the brake pads which should be here Monday so I can put them in and button that up. I can do the bobbins more easily when the wheel is on the bike.

What was the last project of yours that wound up way more expense than you originally thought?

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
michaelcurrin
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is still ongoing.

Started over a year ago, going to adjust valves etc. on the 93 K1100RS with EML sidecar, to get ready for last spring.

While the cams were out had a heart attack. Several weeks later started back on the bike, found the cam chain adjuster had worked its way up and could not reinstall the cams. Not a big deal, just remove the front cover and reset the adjuster, unless there is a sidecar subframe running under the fairing blocking access.

So it all came apart. While it was apart might as well take all the mounts to the powder coater, ought to clean up all the wiring where I've been adding various accessories over the years, might as well lube the splines, replace the cables because as far as I know some are still the originals, new brakes pads all around, then new tires, while the tires are off might as well get the wheels powder coated, Denali D2 running lights, changed mount to use the Garmin XT off of the other bike, etc. etc.

Finally forced myself to stop and start putting it back together, now sorting through about 20 labeled ziplock bags of nut and bolts. hmmmm some of these bolts look a little bad, maybe should get new......

and so it goes
06 Ducati ST3
67 Triumph 650 chopper
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a used car in October. The radio head unit kept losing its station memory and would not Bluetooth pair with my phone.

So I bought a decent new Kenwood head unit and installed that.

Drive about ten miles and realized that the factory speakers were garbage and needed to be replaced so I had to buy new front and rear speakers and spend a few hours tearing the interior of the car apart to swap in the new speakers.

It sounds much better but I need to install a subwoofer now to get better bass.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: