K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front brake wont keep pressure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoffy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:16 am    Post subject: front brake wont keep pressure Reply with quote

hi guys
ive 1100Lt that has been stored awhile, ive just replaced all brake lines for the front brakes but they wont keep preesure..No leaks .. bleed and pump up then a while later flat to the bars, am i looking at master cylinder next?
2nd wife
2nd lot of kids
2nd mortgage
2nd life
"been there done that before, doin it again"
leonp24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, master cylinder next.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake line from the ABS modulator travels upwards to the point near the steering head where the next brake line goes downwards to the splitter in the fork brace. When you replace the front brake lines air can get stuck in that “hump” near the steering head. (Because brake fluid weighs more than air.)

You need to give that air an upwards path to escape. When I replace front broke lines on an ABS K bike I take the splitter and calipers off and raise them so that air can escape when I am bleeding the brake system.

What I do is throw a rope over a garage rafter and tie each of the ends to a brake caliper so that the splitter is above the hump and the calipers are above the splitter.

This isn’t the best picture but here’s how I bled out the air when I replaced the lines on my K11000RS.

86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Hoffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys will take all onboard thanks Duck appreciate ideas.
2nd wife
2nd lot of kids
2nd mortgage
2nd life
"been there done that before, doin it again"
forester

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problem with my 1994 K1100lt. I was constantly bleeding the front brakes, get a good lever then no lever and as with yours no leaks.
I then went down the route of stripping front calipers followed by a thorough cleaning of all piston bores and transfer holes, and then replaced all the seals and pistons. I also removed the front master cylinder and removed the piston gave that a thorough clean along with the bore. This time when I bled the brakes I got a solid lever and no loss of pressure, to make sure all the air was out of the system I fixed the front lever back to the handlebars with a velcro strap and left it overnight to vent out any trapped air bubbles that hadn't been removed while bleeding. This worked and the brakes have so far been perfect with no pressure loss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: