K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine drip: 1997 K1100LT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jers97lt
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Engine drip: 1997 K1100LT Reply with quote

Hi All,

In front of the oil filter plate, there's a vertical 'port' that has a dark liquid weeping from it. It has built up
a light sludge from the 'port' down to the oil filter plate after 1500mi. What is this 'port'?
Location is also below and in front of the water pump.

Thanks for any further Qs and possible solutions to stop this mess.
Jer
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weep hole from the oil/water pump?
jers97lt
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N41EF wrote:
Weep hole from the oil/water pump?

Appears so. Why? Is this a normal function? Gotta wipe their nose after every ride? Very Happy
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not "normal" the oil/water pump uses a common shaft with seals that keeps the oil from the water and such. If either seal is leaking you get something out the weep hole, sounds like your is leaking a bit of oil. You can try clearing it up good, the ride a hundred miles and check it. It's a pain to rebuild, and if don improperly will foul that weep hole so nothing leaks out, and you wind up with contaminated oil/coolant.

The world won't end, but it's not going to get better.
jers97lt
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N41EF wrote:
No, not "normal" the oil/water pump uses a common shaft with seals that keeps the oil from the water and such. If either seal is leaking you get something out the weep hole, sounds like your is leaking a bit of oil. You can try clearing it up good, the ride a hundred miles and check it. It's a pain to rebuild, and if don improperly will foul that weep hole so nothing leaks out, and you wind up with contaminated oil/coolant.

The world won't end, but it's not going to get better.

Thanks! The kind of answer I was looking for. Will have it looked at, properly.
Been many, many years since I had a Triumph. Sucker leaked everywhere. This bike is new to me, so still being highly observant of everything.

Thanks again,
Jer
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Flying Duck will chime in, I believe on bikes that sat and didn't have coolant flushed it can cause corrosion on the pump shaft, that scores the seals and causes the leaks. Plus the seals are 25 plus years old and get tired. I think you can get parts still, or watch eBay for a oil/water pump.

If it's just seeping I'd ride it to work, but not to Montana. Keep an eye on the sight glass to make sure you aren't getting water in the oil.
jers97lt
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N41EF wrote:
I'm sure Flying Duck
will chime in, I believe on bikes that sat and didn't have coolant flushed it can cause corrosion on the pump shaft, that scores the seals and causes the leaks. Plus the seals are 25 plus years old and get tired. I think you can get parts still, or watch eBay for a oil/water pump.

If it's just seeping I'd ride it to work, but not to Montana. Keep an eye on the sight glass to make sure you aren't getting water in the oil.

Good info to know. Thank you!!!
flybd5
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brought back a flashback from one of Cheech and Chong's LP's back in the 80's... a short segment advertising an imaginary vd medication... "Tired of the steady drip... drip... drip of gonorrhea?" LOL!

Of course, if the K11 had round or fractionally round engines (like the Harleys) you could argue they're just marking their spot on the ground.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Pump rebuild Reply with quote

These are supposed to be easy - but a rebuild can go wrong. There are 2 seals one a conventional rubber lipped seal and a mechanical seal that has a ceramic part and if this gets broken it is a new seal kit and they are not cheap themselves.

I had one rebuilt for me and it is working as it should with no leaks from either the coolant or oil. Motorworks the BMW bike spares company in UK used to sell rebuilt ones for a reasonable price, but they had so many complaints about them leaking within the 6 month guarantee period they stopped selling them as 're-built.'

The cost of a new one is eye wateringly expensive, the last time I looked the price was close on £400or around 530$!
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this might help.

This is Sugarhill NOT Flying Duck!?

A subtle leak in your bike's bottom end could be this.......

https://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8395

Just trying to help from your Mod crew.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video of the water oil pump seal replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBtaioRMx0&ab_channel=spidiq8

Sanjiv
garynali
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jer
If you opt to replace the seals be very carefull to read and understand the instructions. The water seal is a carbon type and very easily damaged on assembly. A new pump assembly is very expensive (had to get one last year) .
Best of luck with it.
Gary C
K1100RS
Vstrom 1000
Hervey Bay
Australia
jers97lt
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonu wrote:
Here is a video of the water oil pump seal replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBtaioRMx0&ab_channel=spidiq8

Sanjiv

Well, that sure looks like the issue. New to me bike that hasn't all that many miles, so hoping some good rides might remedy the seals. If not, she goes in for new ones. Thanks for the link.
Jer
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:

A subtle leak in your bike's bottom end could be this.......
https://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8395

Thanks for posting this John!!!

My bike has been marking my garage floor for 15+ years. Just one drop of oil after each ride & the front end does look like a "toxic dump"

In the early days I sank $$ at BMW stealership to get the leak fixed. They replaced a bunch of O-rings & gaskets, added fluorescent die, did other things but in the end told me to "live with it".

I have a strong suspicion that you have pinpointed my problem (clogged 2pm port) and am considering doing the job myself.

I have no need to rebuild the seals. There is no fluid coming out of the "weep hole"

Am I correct in assuming that I will not need any parts (just some kind of sealant to put everything back together)?

Sanjiv
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Sanjiv. Just pull the pump assembly off and clean all the surfaces really well. You may need a thin piece of wire to clean out that little U shaped groove.

The hardest part is how much or rather how little sealant to use. The problem is caused by whoever assembled it last. I think that the tendency is to think "if enough is good then too much is better".

If both surfaces are smooth and will mate well, use just a very small bead of sealant.

Clymer states the mounting bolts should first be done finger tight. Then continue to tighten in a crisscross pattern until all are 6-8 nm.

'04 K1200GT
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
the mounting bolts should first be done finger tight. Then continue to tighten in a crisscross pattern until all are 6-8 nm.

Also start tightening from the centre outwards in the criss-cross pattern. Much the same as when working on a cylinder head

Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John & Grunter

Thanks for the hand holding.
I think I will give this is a shot....

Sanjiv
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sanjiv, if it wasn't pandemic time, I would have been out to visit our daughter in San Jose.

Then I could have stopped by and given a hand or at least moral support Laughing

It isn't terribly difficult to do. But remember there are 2 bolts under the pump cover.

'04 K1200GT
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:
Hey Sanjiv, if it wasn't pandemic time, I would have been out to visit our daughter in San Jose.

Then I could have stopped by and given a hand or at least moral support Laughing

It isn't terribly difficult to do. But remember there are 2 bolts under the pump cover.

Appreciate the thought.

I'm finishing up my 300 gallon pond project in a couple of weeks.
The bike is up next.
Think I have enough info. Will post a bunch of pics as I go along...

Cheers,

Sanjiv
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Pics of toxic dump fix Reply with quote

So I finally got around to this

Here's a pic showing the problem...
(The U shaped groove is completely caked over with the hardened strip of sealant)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DM7SzLjns-lGM0irlfcUeeoM_VLXfbTv/view?usp=sharing

Here's a pic showing a close up...
(As i pried off the hardened sealant the U shaped groove appeared below)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mYOQXS-Wrslys8ZU-JOMhNgBSnTt-LtV/view?usp=sharing

Here's a pic of the oil/water pump ready to go back in
(the grey bead is the fresh sealant applied...Threebond RTV sealant 1217F recommended by the techs at SanJoseBMW motorcycles)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a1ojJvTHqCPrAG3CX3tMLvQBhGxfA_nu/view?usp=sharing

Here's a problem I've run into
(The pump cover doesnt fit. It hits the main engine block & prevents all the bolts from aligning)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PtVWU_5epQnL-sk6nvtDPMJki3Ic2Dg3/view?usp=sharing

Any ideas what I might have done wrong?

I guess I can tear it apart again & put it back together but don't know what to do differently.

I followed the procedure listed in this thread. Also looked at Clymber manual. During installation of pump Clymber manual talks about having an assistant rotate the crankshaft in order to center the oil pump gears. I did not do this. The pump slid into place and was flush with the mating surface of the cylinder block quite easily.

Any tips appreciated since I'm stuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: