K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor running at speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_C

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Poor running at speed Reply with quote

My K1100LT is not running very smoothly on a constant throttle at highway cruising speed and I would appreciate some advice. First some background:-

When I first got this bike a couple of weeks ago I was getting an intermittent misfire once warmed up at highway speeds and a strong smell of fuel. Using the excellent info on this site I suspected the water temperature sensor might be at fault. It was, and a second hand replacement was sought, tested in a pan of water on the stove and then fitted. This made an immediate difference and cleaned up the running just fine.

All was well for the next few rides, including a 50 mile run yesterday. However, on restarting the bike after stopping for a cuppa, I noticed it was running a little unevenly and once up to cruising speed I could feel the engine speed slightly increasing and then decreasing slightly when keeping the throttle still, surging a little. It was reluctant to accelerate away easily from a constant cruising speed needing more throttle that you would expect to have use to increase your speed. It never died or misfired, it just feels like the fuelling is out.

I read the fault codes on getting home and got 1223 water temp sensor out of range. However, I had not reset the motronic since replacing the sensor the week before. Do I need to do this, or would the original fault code ormally remove itself after a few rides?

Today I pulled the plug off the motronic and noticed that the spade connection on the rear of it (the earth / ground) was not connected. I refitted it together with the big plug and re-read the fault codes. Now it read 1133 - Hall sensor. I went for another ride. The poor running was still there, no different. Code 1133 was still showing on my return.

I suspect the 1223 was a historic fault. I get no misfire and less of a fuel smell, just this hesitation / surging issue at speed. From what I’ve read on here 1133 is normal (or is it?)

Any ideas what I should check next? Injectors perhaps? Plugs look like new by the way.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hall sensor fault is not uncommon with ignition on and engine off.
You should try and clear the other one out.
As far as it running smoothly, when was the fuel filter changed last.

Some good fuel injector cleaner would be a good thing also. Run it thru at least 2-3 full tanks of fuel.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might pull the cover off the plugs, go for a highway ride, and when it starts running rough, keep riding for a few miles, then stop and pull the plugs to see what the look like.

Hall sensors will show bad if engine isn't running. If you have a GS911 you can read the codes with the bike running and they will be clear.

The temp fault code will not clear itself, you have to clear it.
Mike d
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the K1100 has the old three pin diagnostic connector, the GS-911 (without the discontinued adapter unit) will not connect to it.

Hexcode also produced standalone unit specifically for the R1100/K1100 & K100 16V models. This uses the same PC software as the normal GS-911 and can be used to read and reset the fault codes.

Are you in the BMW Club as they have a number of GS-911 units in their tool hire scheme.

I administer the scheme and am not that far from Northampton.

Mike
Mark_C

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I don’t know the service history of this bike so a new fuel filter has been ordered. I will replace that and also check the valves, balance the throttle bodies and check for air leaks. Will also run the bike in the dark to check for the leads arcing and run some injector cleaner through. Let’s see what all that does to things.

Thanks Mike. I will bear that in mind if checking all the basics fails to improve things.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to see if the fuel filter is the issue. Take it out and try to blow though it. If there's significant resistance then it needs to be replaced.

Here in the US Napa sells the 3032 fuel filter for about $5. I change mine every year or two.

If ethanol laden gas sits for a period of time it absorbs water from the atmosphere. The water can then cause the fibers in the fuel filter to swell.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Hall Sensors Reply with quote

These can give all sorts of problems but usually a total fail is the end product.

I found this out when first one of my K75 bikes just stopped when it was running at idle just after I started it. Then the other went when it was hot. There was no indication from either except on the 2nd bike the tacho needle did a half somersault just before the motor cut.

Good used ones are generally not expensive and can be carried easily when out on a ride. The likes of Motorworks in UK have them and they are guaranteed for 6 months
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: