K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GAUGES of a different type

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hockeyshifter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: GAUGES of a different type Reply with quote

i want to replace the water temp and the fuel gauges with a non-oem type .. has anyone done a retor-fit for the 93 k1100 rs?? i want a simple white dial with red/black pointer.. is this possible ??

the bigger issues is my fuel gauge has started acting wonky.. if the bike sits for 3 of more days the gauge becomes inaccurate and will not respond if i lean the bike over or go up hill or down hill the gauge stays static with less than 1/2 tank. when power is cut the gauge sometimes will fall off to empty immediately or will stay upright. when i return after like 3 hours the pointer has fallen off to empty and then respond to what ever is in the tank when power is applied ... if i fill up the gas tank the pointer will indicate full tank but once again is slow to respond to consumption.. usually after 100 miles of travel the pointer starts to drop off.. where do i start to trouble shoot this issue??
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your fuel gage. If you turn the ignition on, the needle should either immediately drop, or if dampened should swing to 0. If it stays up it's a mechanical failure of the electrical gage.
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look at that 4 pin connector under the right rear corner of the fuel tank. It carries the power to the fuel pump as well as the float that feeds the gauge.
I cut mine out and replaced it with a flat 4 pin trailer connector.
I just bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Trailer-Extension-4-Way-4-Pin/dp/B00YNF8SSE/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1502154567&sr=1-4&keywords=4+pin+flat+trailer+connector
Then cut it in half and used the halves to replace the OEM connector.

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: