K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings & salutations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knwyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Greetings & salutations Reply with quote

A hearty hello to you fine folks at K11ORG! My name is Kris but I also go by Red & sometimes Head. I'm a mid 40's New Englander and have been riding motorized 2 wheeled vehicles for round about 22 years.

My first bike was a salvaged 1980 Honda CM400T I traded a concert ticket for. I rode that bike all over Colorado for about 8 months. My next bike was a 1987 Yamaha FZX700 "Fazer" which to me was a nice looking bike but the pathetic fuel capacity made it damn near useless.

Growing up I had always wanted a Harley touring rig & was fascinated with the odd double flywheel, common crankpin, male/female rod set up on those engines. In the late 90s I couldn't afford a Harley & certainly had no interest in buying into the image they've created (which seems more important than their bikes but I digress) so I bought a 99 Buell M2 Cyclone which to date is my favorite bike. I loved that piece of crap! I blew an engine, multiple shocks & the damn thing spit off exhaust parts all the time. I carried a big tool kit & extra parts all the time on that bike.

During the time I rode the Buell, I became enamoured with BMW's R1100S & will likely own one someday but during the early 2000's, I also rode a SV650 which was a super fun little bike. It was actually my now ex wife's' but she never rode it so we sold it. In that time frame I also rode a 97 Honda VFR750. I found it in Columbus, OH & had Buell friend look at it for me -he gave the go ahead so I hopped a bus form Mass to Columbus with my riding gear, picked it up & rode it home. The next morning, I took it out for a rip to see what it could do & ended up totaling it in a low speed get off. Dumb crash but I was wearing my roadcrafter so I was unscathed. I bought it back from the insurance company with the claim check, replaced the plastics added Heli bars & rode it for awhile. Fun bike! I eventually sold that.

I ended up selling the Buell in the late 2000's & was bikeless for too many years which doesn't work well for me so when I found myself in the midst of a divorce in 2011, I picked up my first K bike, an 85 K100RS that was a pice of crap, unmaintained machine. I enjoyed it & rode it briefly. I loved the way the engine made power & it stuck with me. I found a super low mileage one owner Buell S3T (which I'm now selling to my someday son in law) so I lent the K I to a friend who let it go even more to pot & it ended upon sitting since 2013 or so. I've begun the process of getting the parts I need to resurrect it & ought to have it rode worthy soon. Which leads me to my latest bike...

I picked up a 94 K11LT a few weeks ago with 76k miles in pretty good shape for $1600 which I think was a great price! It came with service records back to its sale & it's been well maintained. Not sure about the quality of the work but at least so,embody tried. I've been getting used to it & could see it becoming my new favorite bike. I'm riding it to GA from MA for a technical class for work then down to FL just north of Miami to visit an old friend. I'm in the process of going through it & getting to know it. So far I've replaced the windscreen (new Cee Baileys), repaired the cracked trunk rack (what's with that flexy thing, anyway?)' replaced the windshield motor assembly (got it for $12 on eBay!) & mounted my tank bag. It needs a final drive output seal (which I had planned on doing this weekend but tweaked my back really bad yesterday putting on my pants & made it worse sneezing) but that's about it as far as I can see. I haven't dug in that deep yet but I'm ner vows about driveshaft u joints & will probably pick up an entire used shaft from somewhere & have it modified with serviceable joints somewhere.

Sorry this was so long & rambling!

94 K1100LT
85 K100RS
02 Buell S3T
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the family, I just sold my K1100LT and bought a R1100S. Final drive seals seem to be the problem of the moment, two others toking bought them.

You ought to read John's driveshaft write up, seems to be a 10ok mile issue.

Sounds like you got a deal on the LT, make sure you change fluids before the long ride, and if the trip to GA has any hiccups, there are many or us scattered all up and down the east coast.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME Kris- (for a second time!)

I'm a bit north of you- Franconia area of New Hampshire.

Currently have a '92 K100RS and an '09 R1200RT.

Nice roads up here but some good ones in your part of Mass. also.

Good to see another rider with MBS (multiple bike syndrome) Smile

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
knwyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm eyeing a 25K mile driveshaft currently, actually! I'll probably get it & install it a couple of weeks before I hit the road. Hopefully I won't have any hiccups I can't handle but it's good to know there's a stron community here, thanks!

N41EF wrote:
Welcome to the family, I just sold my K1100LT and bought a R1100S. Final drive seals seem to be the problem of the moment, two others toking bought them.

You ought to read John's driveshaft write up, seems to be a 10ok mile issue.

Sounds like you got a deal on the LT, make sure you change fluids before the long ride, and if the trip to GA has any hiccups, there are many or us scattered all up and down the east coast.

94 K1100LT
85 K100RS
02 Buell S3T
knwyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again John. We've got some pretty good roads down here & a few of my favorites have been recently repaved! I'd like to learn more of the good ones up near you too, though. I'll be up there scouting around for fall foliage photo locations sooner than later, I think. Any suggestions for fun & scenic roads I might check out?

SugarHillCTD wrote:
WELCOME Kris- (for a second time!)

I'm a bit north of you- Franconia area of New Hampshire.

Currently have a '92 K100RS and an '09 R1200RT.

Nice roads up here but some good ones in your part of Mass. also.

Good to see another rider with MBS (multiple bike syndrome) Smile

94 K1100LT
85 K100RS
02 Buell S3T
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good morning Kris, and WELCOME,,!!

Like John ( Sugarhill ) I live in NH just south of Franconia by about 20+ miles. I've been riding since I was 14 in 1956.! ...and I too suffer from the incureable ailment known as MBS ! IF/WHEN you do ride up our way this fall, let us NH'ers know and we can either plan a scenic ride, or at least meet for lunch.
My K1100LT is at 90k today, and I'll be searching for "drive related" components before long. There is an alternative design offered for the K75 from an engineering development firm in Taiwan which overcomes the "spline lube" weakness, but as yet has not been adapted for K1100 or K100 use. According to experience, 100k seems to be the life of the drive components from the transmission output back to the FD...therefore I'm getting nervous.
Also... keep your eye out for the "oil drip" at the front of the engine, since the water-pump shares its seal on the oil return line. There is a small oil passage there which is prone to "blockage" and is easily mis-located on reassembly when water pump repairs are undertaken. There is a lot written here about that from Duck, Sugarhill, and Scott....
BTW.. do NOT forget to sign up with Jim for our annual K11 Meeting in Virginia every Spring. As a K11 owner, you wont want to miss the comraderie ! (( or the BS ))

At any rate... " Welcome once again !".. Take care on your trip, and above all Ride Safe..! ( call if you need help )

Regards....// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
knwyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ernie & thank you! I'll keep an eye out for oil at the water pump. I rebuilt one on my K100, shaft and all. For the driveline issues, I plan to pull everything apart this winter, do a spline lube, really inspect everything as closely as I can & figure out a plan. When I have it apart, I'm going to send the drive shaft somewhere to be rebuilt with serviceable u joints. I really like this bike & plan to be riding it for quite some time! I'll keep an eye out for the event in spring, sounds fun!

Thanks again for the welcome!

Ernie-NH wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good morning Kris, and WELCOME,,!!

Like John ( Sugarhill ) I live in NH just south of Franconia by about 20+ miles. I've been riding since I was 14 in 1956.! ...and I too suffer from the incureable ailment known as MBS ! IF/WHEN you do ride up our way this fall, let us NH'ers know and we can either plan a scenic ride, or at least meet for lunch.
My K1100LT is at 90k today, and I'll be searching for "drive related" components before long. There is an alternative design offered for the K75 from an engineering development firm in Taiwan which overcomes the "spline lube" weakness, but as yet has not been adapted for K1100 or K100 use. According to experience, 100k seems to be the life of the drive components from the transmission output back to the FD...therefore I'm getting nervous.
Also... keep your eye out for the "oil drip" at the front of the engine, since the water-pump shares its seal on the oil return line. There is a small oil passage there which is prone to "blockage" and is easily mis-located on reassembly when water pump repairs are undertaken. There is a lot written here about that from Duck, Sugarhill, and Scott....
BTW.. do NOT forget to sign up with Jim for our annual K11 Meeting in Virginia every Spring. As a K11 owner, you wont want to miss the comraderie ! (( or the BS ))

At any rate... " Welcome once again !".. Take care on your trip, and above all Ride Safe..! ( call if you need help )

Regards....// Ernie in NH

94 K1100LT
85 K100RS
02 Buell S3T
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Kris- let me know if you venture north. If I am free I can show you some fun roads, even if some of the best ones are west of me- in Vermont.

BTW, Jim should be getting in contact with a guy out west who rebuilt my u joint a few years ago. He modified it to use circlips and installed a u joint that has a grease port where a zerk fitting is used to grease it (then removed and plugged when installed on the bike). This is mine in the picture.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
knwyman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Still here & loving my bike Reply with quote

I haven’t been able to be online much in the past couple of months but wanted to drop a line about how things are going with my LT. it’s a great bike & im loving it! I’ve put over 8000 miles on it & aside from running it out of gas & a blown tail light, it’s been perfect. I mentioned an east coast trip in an earlier post... the trip went great. I met a buddy in W. VA & rode a bunch of really good roads in western VA, NC (camped at Blue Ridge MC campground & there was a K bike event going on!) eastern TN & northeast GA before I headed to Athens for work. From Athens I took off to the Ft. Lauderdale area for a few days with another friend. I left there & rode some more in GA (camped at TWO in my hammock by the stream) & NC before heading to my brothers place in SC. From there it was back to western MA. I ended up putting on 4500 miles in 9 riding days of the trip & it was a blast!

I’ve got a handle on the bike & am really comfortable on it even though I’m only 5’5” (on a good day). It works great 2 up as well, as my girlfriend will attest. I just snagged a low mileage driveshaft & this winter I’ll tear off the rear half of the bike, replace my weepy rear main seal, replace the clutch, lube splines & install the new to me driveshaft. I’ll be adding SS brake lines & flushing the cooling system, timing chain/guides replacement (will be checking water/oil pump shaft & replacing seals), replacing clutch & throttle cables as well. Fromm there it should be good to go trouble free for next season! (barring any unforeseen electrical gremlins or such like)

94 K1100LT
85 K100RS
02 Buell S3T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: