K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coolant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Coolant Reply with quote

Following my problems with the bike overheating when I was away in Switzerland last month, the coolant which was relatively new, (only 2 months old) changed from the light pink colour to that of milk chocolate.

There is no leak anywhere in the system proved by the level exactly as it was before I left UK. I am going to drain the system, remove the thermostat and reverse flush it out with water using a hose.

Up to that point - no problem. However, every time I drain the system I always spend hours trying to eliminate air from the cooling system, a problem that never happens with my K75s motor which is basically the same but smaller. Is there an easy fix to clear any air locks?

On another, but connected point, the owners handbook states any new coolant concentrate must be free from 'Nitrites' whatever they are! So what are they?
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your coolant is turning milk chocolate, it sounds like you may have a seal issue with the oil pump.
The K bikes have 1 pump what pumps both water and oil. The pump shares 1 common shaft, 2 mechanical seals between the water chamber and the oil chamber with an air gap between the seals. This air gap is supposed to be open to drain out the bottom of the front of the engine. Sometimes this drain port gets plugged up with road grime/crap. If this passageway is plugged up firm enough and you have a leak at your oil seal, the oil pressure is greater than the water pressure and will push the oil into the water side of the pump and thus contaminate your water system.
Not saying this is your problem, but it is worth making sure the drain passageway is clear and open.

When you change your fluid make sure you give it a good flush...
When refilling, mix the coolant at least 50/50 with DISTILLED water, not tap or well water.

The nitrates issue is something that causes a negative reaction with aluminum. Since there are a lot of new automotive engines with aluminum in them now most automotive coolants are nitrate free.

When you say your coolant is pink, I'm guessing that you are not using the BMW branded coolant as it is blue.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Al.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it leaking at the cap.
I had overheating and got new cap.
Problem solved.

But it was leaking out at cap.

But Scott is probably right
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott_Anderson wrote:
If your coolant is turning milk chocolate, it sounds like you may have a seal issue with the oil pump.
The K bikes have 1 pump what pumps both water and oil. The pump shares 1 common shaft, 2 mechanical seals between the water chamber and the oil chamber with an air gap between the seals. This air gap is supposed to be open to drain out the bottom of the front of the engine. Sometimes this drain port gets plugged up with road grime/crap. If this passageway is plugged up firm enough and you have a leak at your oil seal, the oil pressure is greater than the water pressure and will push the oil into the water side of the pump and thus contaminate your water system.
Not saying this is your problem, but it is worth making sure the drain passageway is clear and open.

I am 99.999% certain that there is no problem with the seals in the pump. The coolant level has not changed since I refilled it with new, back in April. There is no contamination of either the oil with water, or the coolant with oil. There is no leak from the drain below the oil/water pump and yes it is clear of any detritus.

I intend to drain the system in the morning and flush it out both in reverse and in the direction of flow. I will then fill it with 'the approved' coolant. I was aware that the latest coolant was blue but I used what I had to hand last time. The local motor factors stock the correct coolant, not labled 'BMW' but it is the same spec and states it is approved for use by BMW and a few other top end car makers, but 50% cheaper.

Since I posted the query earlier this evening, I have spoken to a couple of friends who know 'K' bikes very well and who all gave a common analysis of the muddy coloured coolant. That is, prior to my ownership, the actual milage in 16 years it has been on the road was it only covered 17000 miles. Consequently there may have been a bit of neglect with changing the coolant. With the motor getting very hot, this stirred up all the sludge in the radiator and waterways, hence the need for a thorough flushing out.

(I still need possible answers how to avoid airlocks when re-filling)
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look for my thread with low temp thermostat, you'll find part numbers for a 170 degree thermostat with an air bleed port. Fill it to the neck, squeeze the lower hose a couple of times, top it off, and put the cap on. Remember to empty and flush the overflow as well.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al. wrote:
Was it leaking at the cap.
I had overheating and got new cap.
Problem solved.

But it was leaking out at cap.

But Scott is probably right

My K75 Turbo started overheating often. Replaced the cap with a brand new one ($25.) Problem solved.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
jhinds
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is from a bad seal as mentioned above. The oil seen through the glass level indicator was muddy brown/chocolate. I was 1500 miles from home so I drained the corrupted oil and coolant and refilled with 50/50 (distilled water/coolant) and added a can of sealant. The sealant worked till I got home but almost immediately broke down and left me with the brown color again.

Also, I replaced the thermostat. The new one was defective and the engine overheated. Had to replace it again. Test of defective thermostat showed it was not opening sufficiently.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

So far I have managed to do nothing except drain a small quantity of coolant from the system into a glass jar. Actually when looking at it from the side in daylight and not down the filler neck the colour isn't far off the original when I changed it last. I let it settle for a day and checked again, but there was lttle change. So perhaps I am concerned/worried about nothing.

Speaking to the local BMW agent the actual coolant concentrate should now be blue and not pink. This was changed for both bikes and cars a few years ago when it was found that the chemical composition of the blue coolant was better for both engines.

So, I am going to drain the system, remove the thermostat then back flush it as I said before. The same Thermostat will be replace as the temp control in UK seems to be normal, it was only the excessive heat build up when riding slowly up a steep road at 35 degrees C, for several miles caused the problem. I will also refill with the blue coolant perhaps later this week.

Looking at the instructions on the bottle containing the blue concentrate the only operational difference, is the blue should be changed every 2 years, whilst the pink was supposed to have a 5 year life.

My car, a Ford, still uses pink coolant, but my neighbours car, a 3 year old BMW 3 series is using blue.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Hopefully now sorted. Reply with quote

I was out yesterday and unusually for the NE of Enland the temp reached the dizzy heights of 27C and true to form the bike once again started to over heat even at quite easy downhill stretches.

I drained the system again (It's getting boring now) and removed the thermostat. I did the recommended test of placing the 'stat in a pan of water and slowly brought it to 85 degrees F when it should have started to open - It didn't. I took it up to 95 degrees F and still no movement so I am now awaiting a new one sent by post. Hopefully that will be that sorted.
Inge K.
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hopefully now sorted. Reply with quote

Grunter wrote:
and slowly brought it to 85 degrees F when it should have started to open - It didn't.

It should open at 85 degrees Celsius, at 85 degrees Farenheit you need some more firewood.
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hopefully now sorted. Reply with quote

Inge K. wrote:
Grunter wrote:
and slowly brought it to 85 degrees F when it should have started to open - It didn't.

It should open at 85 degrees Celsius, at 85 degrees Farenheit you need some more firewood.

Sorreeeee. A typo on my behalf, my thermometer is only graded in Degrees Celsius.

Actually I took it up to 100 degress when the pan started to boil
and still there was no movement.

All's well now because the new 'stat arrived 10 mins ago and fitting will be done later on today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: