K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need input:Defensive change of brake lines & Master Cyli

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which option would you choose for age based replacement on braking system (97K1100LT)
Wait till something breaks before replacing anything
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pay independent mechanic to replace brake lines with Spiegler lines
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Pay independent mechanic to replace brake lines and Master Cylinder
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Need input:Defensive change of brake lines & Master Cyli Reply with quote

Friends,

BORING BACKGROUND/CONTEXT FOR POLL QUESTIONS

Ordered new brake lines from Spiegler. Local dealer estimated 2hrs labor to replace lines.

When I got there they told me it would be 6 hrs labor + extra parts to replace master cylinders (front & back) $1000 total. Also they can't guarantee ABS will work after they do this service. I walked out of there.

Their justification for replacing the MC's was that there is "corrosion" below. I looked and sure enough there is some but I figure this is likely due to small overflow when I do my annual brake fluid exchange (I don't know how to "bleed" so I just exchange some fluid annually without getting any air in there). I talked to the head of service and he conceded that there is nothing currently wrong with my bike and I could simply wait until something actually broke. He also acknowledged that the "corrosion" was minor and typical of bikes this age. Their experience is that once they start working on brake systems with the "older" bikes they often have to replace other stuff so they've become defensive with their disclaimers "ABS may not work" etc.

My reputable independent mechanic (Ted Porter) no longer works on K1100LT's. I've located another independent mechanic but have some minor anxiety working with an unknown (to me) wrench.

While I'm comfortable replacing all the other fluids in the bike I have a mind block against working on brake system. I have not used it much last couple of years but bike has always been garaged. I just took the wheels off and got new tires installed. 120/70-18 PR4GT front. Rear 150/70-17 PR4. Everything is working great and I'll be racking up miles again.

Sanjiv
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonu- Great to hear from you-

4th choice- do all bike maintenance myself- like I did a few months ago- changed all my brake lines.

A few years ago I bought a lift. MUCH easier.

The next is our daughter's ZX6R on the lift.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. As well. I did mine took two hours including the flush. I wouldn't replace the MC unless they are leaking. Spiegler lines fit fine. You do have to remove the tank to get to top line to the front MC. A small container of brake fluid is enough. Get a hand vacuum brake bleeder from Harbor Freight and do it all yourself.
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK, I'll just have to get my act together and do this myself.

Are the front & back completely separate circuits? If so, I would start with the back (builds confidence!) and then take on the front....

Wish one of you had taken pictures of this job while you were doing it...

-s-
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a full 7 page write-up with pics from when I put Galfer lines on my 94 RS. The RS front brakes have some slight differences from the LT but they're basically the same.

Aside from the ABS electronics the front and rear are wholly independent systems. Doing the rear first for practice isn't a bad idea.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Sonu
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
I have a full 7 page write-up with pics

NIRVANA :D

Please e-mail me when you have a chance. I wont get to it till the long weekend so no rush.

SanjivKapoorK1100LT AT Yahoo DOT COM

Thanks a billion!

Sanjiv
jay k.
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you made the right decision.
I'm no master mechanic by any stretch and I changed my brake lines to braided Speiglers.
Easy-peasey, as they say.
'14 Ducati Monster 1200S - The Duc
'84 Kawasaki GPz 1100 - The Gypsy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: