K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bodywork Question- '96 K1100RS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDNZL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Bodywork Question- '96 K1100RS Reply with quote

Upper Fairing - Bike knocked over into garage door and cracked upper fairing around headlight. The fairing and windscreen now sag back towards me and flop about a bit.

Questions - Can a fiberglas technician repair this? or
Do I need to replace?

I found a fairing on ebay for reasonable, but for a '95 (and wrong color, but not too worried about that.) Are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for help, advice, derision, etc.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I had a broken mounting tab on my LT, the body shop epoxied it back on the glass reinforced it. If you paint is fine I'd do that. If you paint is messed up I'd find a used one and have it painted. My local body guy does small work like that cheap if you aren't in a hurry.
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the fairing mounting bracket closely. Those things crack if you look at them the wrong way.

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
RDNZL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to a couple of body shops and the quotes are pretty durn high. $1500 or so.

I would be just fixing to sell, so not sure it's worth the effort. Still gonna look for a replacement.

Guess I'm too ignorant to post a pic of the damage.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork Question- '96 K1100RS Reply with quote

RDNZL wrote:

I found a fairing on ebay for reasonable, but for a '95 (and wrong color, but not too worried about that.) Are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for help, advice, derision, etc.

93 thru 96 are exactly the same- actually the upper fairing is interchangeable back to at least '90.

Drake, you around to further clarify?

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
RDNZL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork Question- '96 K1100RS Reply with quote

93 thru 96 are exactly the same- actually the upper fairing is interchangeable back to at least '90.

Drake, you around to further clarify?

That is good news, especially based on the repair/paint estimates I've got so far.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might shop around. I took ALL the bodywork off mine, and left it at a local shop while I was out of town for spring break. They repaired my faring, and painted EVERYTHING for half that price. I was in no hurry, and they took their time and did a great job.
RDNZL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Another related question: Reply with quote

When the bike went over, the latch that holds one of the saddlebags to the bike broke off. I thought I could use rivets and reattach, but the landing pad is hidden under the latch assembly.

Has anyone reattached one of these latches, and how did you do it?

Thanks again!
Corkboy
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Another related question: Reply with quote

RDNZL wrote:
When the bike went over, the latch that holds one of the saddlebags to the bike broke off. I thought I could use rivets and reattach, but the landing pad is hidden under the latch assembly.

Has anyone reattached one of these latches, and how did you do it?

Thanks again!

Yep, happened to me last year. Bike fell over and lower latch that holds the saddlebag to the bike sheared off. I reattached using rivets. I don't have the bags here, but if I remember correctly it took all of a few minutes.

I can get get panniers and picture if you need, but I don't remember any issues . I did buy fairly long rivets and I think I pop-riveted from the inside.
'08 Transalp 700 (Gone)
RDNZL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Another related question: Reply with quote

Corkboy wrote:

Yep, happened to me last year. Bike fell over and lower latch that holds the saddlebag to the bike sheared off. I reattached using rivets. I don't have the bags here, but if I remember correctly it took all of a few minutes.

I can get get panniers and picture if you need, but I don't remember any issues . I did buy fairly long rivets and I think I pop-riveted from the inside.

Thanks! I'll take another look and see what I need to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: