K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedo Reading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant93
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Speedo Reading Reply with quote

Gidday Folks,

Today I took my new to me K1100RS out for our first run together and it certainly is different to ride than my K1100LT that I sold last week. Being 6ft 2" I found the RS screen great with little buffeting and the slight wind noise in the helmet not an issue. The seating position very relaxed as I have a couple of early airhead RS's so I am used to that. This RS does everything so ever easily and I'm looking to keep this one for many years, so my question is if you can help out...

Speedo reading vs rpms as today I found this...

100kph @ 3000rpm
110kph @ 3500rpm
120kph @ 4000rpm

Would this be correct or are the speedo readings slightly out of wack as my 1993 LT was a little different and revved high at each of these speeds.

Sorry for the kph thing to btw Smile

Plus I made up new decals for the lower fairing, I have my own signshop of 32 years with all the graphics cutting gear.. www.signwriter.com.au

1994 K1100RS
1981 R100RS
1978 R100RS
1928 Chevrolet tourer

www.montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au
garynali
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday Grant
My 93 K1100RS has always read 3700RPM at 100 indicated. About 98 true on the GPS. 4000 RPM gives just on 110 indicated . Think your speedo is under reading.
Cheerio
Gary C
K1100RS
grant93
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Gary,

many thanks for that, yes it felt a little under when riding Smile

1994 K1100RS
1981 R100RS
1978 R100RS
1928 Chevrolet tourer

pegasus
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Speedo Out Reply with quote

The K stock speedos have always been inaccurate (ie. read slow).
Mine was 10% slow.
Have a look at http://www.k100-forum.com/t2038-karamba-speedometer-calibration-program-tutorial and http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/karamba.htm .
It isn't much work to make up the adapter plug and wiring.
Once you know exactly how much your speedo is out, you need to open the instrument cluster and adjust the adjustment screw (a trial and error process).
If you find you are getting buffeting from the RS fairing, you can always get a Laminar Lip http://www.laminarlip.com/k100rs.php.
I have one that I don't use any more 9I went to the Aeroflow fairing http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K100_1100RS/K100RS_K1100RSProducts.htm . I also have one of their headlight covers that I know longer use.

cheers,

Andrew
1993 K1100RS
Ipswich, Australia
grant93
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Andrew,

Some very handy info there in your post mate Smile very much appreiacted.

Have you personally done the computer program adjustments to the speedo and gone to the trouble to make up a wiring loom? if so would you consider me borrowing the wiring part of the project as I am crap with electrics and wiring. I could use and repost it back to you quickly once completed seeing as we are both in Australia. It just a thought if you have, if not I will call past my local computer shop and get something made up to suit one day.

I love the look of the aeroflow screens and the fact that they come off and on quickly is a bonus, costly yes but the protection looks very comfy.

The Laminar lip concept, was it any good or did it rattle a little and also can it come off quickly etc? Then I suppose the big question is how much do you want for yours and if so you can PM me and we can chat off screen if that suits..

Many thanks once again.
Grant in Gippsland, Victoria (yes the cold southern end, green but always a little chilly)

1994 K1100RS
1981 R100RS
1978 R100RS
1928 Chevrolet tourer

cw3jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: My '95 K1100RS speedo is a bit optimistic Reply with quote

At 75 MPH (here in the US) my speedo is reading 80 MPH. Not a big deal but a bit irritating all the same. I guess it's ok as long as I know about it though.
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant - there's lots of info here at K11 about adjusting the speedometer - several threads. A quick search turned this up:

http://k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5696&highlight=adjust+speedometer

I had the speedo cluster out to replace a bulb - turned the yellow (I think it was yellow) screw about 10 or 15 degrees - ended up almost exact - maybe a tenth of a mile or two off - not much. I didn't even bother with the soldering iron.
1992 K75RTP 46,000

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: