K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmission leaking oil (NOT the clutch boot)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR_Bricker
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Transmission leaking oil (NOT the clutch boot) Reply with quote

As part of the overhaul of my bike I changed the clutch boot the other day because it was leaking badly and the transmission was almost dry.

Not that I have done so the transmission is leaking from somewhere else now

Reading up on motobrick.com

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,2883.msg16783.html#msg16783

I am pretty sure it is either the input shaft seal or the clutch pushrod seal that needs replacing. (I am going to buy both since it takes two weeks for parts to get here). Looking at my Clymer's etc it seem s a pretty tough job, has anyone done it themselves? It looks like I can replace the clutch pushrod seal without have to take the gearbox apart but I am not sure about the input shaft. Anyone know?

Any tips or help (included in that would be 'don't be a damn fool man take it to a shop'!)

Also how serious a problem is it? Do you think I can get away with leaving it for a few months while I enjoy the dry season?
ungaas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leak could well be from the engine output shaft seal or clutch carrier "o" ring, as for continued use, other than dropping oil on the tarmac for your fellow bike mates to " catch a wobble" or a slipping clutch leaving you crawling slowly home or trailered, it's entirely your choice.
It's an easy weekend job.
garynali
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR
If it's emptied the case it's serious enough to need fixing. Did the same job on my 93RS a couple of years back. An easy weekends work allowing beer and meditation time. The only special tool I needed was a mandrel to align the clutch, made it on the lathe. If you don't have machine shop access a bit of dowling would probably do .Be prepared for a clutch plate that needs changing due oil contamination. Don't be suckered into trying to clean it ,won't work. I used the opportunity to apply lube in all the recommended places. The clutch has never been smother. Good luck
Gary C
93 K1100RS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: