K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loose Bolt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grunter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Loose Bolt Reply with quote

This particular bolt is the one which retains the drive vanes for the alternator on all 'K' bikes from the K75 to the K1100. (individual designs have diffrences but basically they are the same)
It is a fairly hefty bolt I think about 10mm and the one on my bike has come loose.

About 2 years ago I had to take it to a workshop to have the bolt removed so that the drive could be withdrawn (I could not move it) This was needed renew the oil seal behind. The mechanic did the work and all was well.

Over the past 3-4 months I become aware of a harsh noise which seemed to come from the timing chain area when it was slightly above idle speed and eventually dissapearing around 1700rpm. At idle speed it was silent. After an inspection of the timing chain and tensioner showed all was more or less well so I was a bit lost as to what it was.

I eventually traced it to this bolt having unscrewed by perhaps 2-3 turns and the drive vane carrier was 'chattering' on the shaft. I have tightened the bolt to 32ft lbs torque as per the workshop manual, but was wondering if I should have used thread lock to stop the bolt coming undone again. This not specified in the workshop manual on CD, nor was there any trace of thread lock on the bolt when it was originally removed in the workshop 2 years ago

I cannot see any problem if I did use thread lock but as the bolt is in an area that gets very hot, is it likely to be effective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: