K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting on a K11RS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Starting on a K11RS Reply with quote

A friend is selling his '96 K1100RS, and offered me a friendly deal if I'm interested...

... which, of course, I am. But I've never owned a motorcycle before - ridden a couple, a dirt bike or two as well, and enjoyed 'em.

I thought about picking up the K11RS, and keeping it in my garage while I buy a second, smaller/less powerful bike and ride that for a year or whatever to get comfortable. But I don't know if I can really commit to that extra expense.

Any thoughts on starting to ride on a K11RS?

I'm almost 40, and not going to be flying around at high RPM. I'm a mechanical guy - I have operated all kinds of heavy machinery, worked on many vehicles, and driven many a manual-transmission car over the years, so I have a good feel in my fingers and butt for what's going on in the vehicle I'm operating.

Definitely appreciate the input. Cheers!
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of buying a second smaller bike, take a "learn to ride class". The local Harley dealer has a class here through the local Technical College where they supply the bikes. I know they hope you'll hit a mid-life crisis and want a Harley. But the class room and practical part satisfies our states requirements to get a Motorcycle License.
BigBore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N41EF wrote:
Instead of buying a second smaller bike, take a "learn to ride class". The local Harley dealer has a class here through the local Technical College where they supply the bikes. I know they hope you'll hit a mid-life crisis and want a Harley. But the class room and practical part satisfies our states requirements to get a Motorcycle License.

That's a good idea. I'll definitely take a riding course. I definitely think I can be respectful of the power, to treat the clutch with care, and to pay close attention to road surfaces, etc. I figure a lot of guys start riding on Harley's, with all that weight to contend with, so I should be able to start on a K11RS if I treat it with respect.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they used to use 500cc Buells. I had a friend take a class several years ago and they used Honda 250cc cruisers. Call any of the local bike dealers near you and ask who gives classes and supplies the bike.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add that when you do actually start riding the K, don't be afraid of revving the rpm high.
These 4cyl K engines sing in the 4-6K rpm range.
Under-revving can lead to carbon build-up and burned valves......
BTDT with my 1st K within the 1st 2 years........

These are a top heavy bike, so be conscientious of your footings.

+1 to the riders ed classes.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K can be a handful, especially for a new to the road rider. I do like your original plan, build up some miles and experience under your belt before riding the K. It is a heavy bike, dropping it in slow riding conditions like a parking lot is not difficult to do.

The class is not a bad idea either.

What ever you chose, good luck!

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
old guy old bike
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start out on a K if you keep your wits about you. Rode some Japanese standards when I was younger. laid off of bikes for over 20 years then bought a '93 K1100LT when I was about 50 years old.

They are a tall bike and do have some heft to them. If you can sit on the seat and flat foot the ground you should not have problems. If your like me and have to tip-toe the ground you have to be a little more aware of what's under you when you come up to stops.
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Do it! Reply with quote

My first ever bike is my 93 K1100lt. I also got a good deal I couldn't refuse. I bought it before I even had my motorcycle license. Had to had a friend ride it to my house for me.

I bought some gear and took a motorcycle training course right away. I told the instructor what I was going to ride and he was nice enough to put me on an upright Honda Nighthawk 250. Of course, that upright position was about the only thing that 250 had in common with the K. Anyway, I learned a lot there. I truly believe that class has kept me out of a few accidents.

So, I get my license and start riding the K. I was definitely intimidated but I took it very slow and easy. A couple weeks in I lost my footing on gravel at a stop and dropped it. Only a couple scratches to the bike. I was not hurt but my ego and confidence were shattered. I almost sold the bike that week. But I dusted myself off and got back on. It's been almost 2 years now and nearly 12k miles of safe riding. I still love it so much. Just take your class, take your time, take it easy and take to the road. Enjoy!
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not consider dropping the bike at a stand still an accident. I can not tell you how many times that has almost happened to me, and once I did drop it. We (my local bike club) were helping an older couple move about 15 motorcycles from their old house to their new one. I had my bike on the center stand in the garage and when I took it off with went over to the right side, and I couldn't hold it. First time that has ever happened to me. But not a crash.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The drop at a stand still was NOT an accident or crash. Thank God, I have not had that happen. But I also thank my training and my lack of desire to be the fastest bike on the road while scraping foot pegs. I'm super conservative and super aware of my surroundings and of course, always all geared up just in case. My closest calls so far have been deer and dogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: