K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HMSP 9 - 4.27 - 5.1.16 * SAVE THE DATE* (updated 1.24.16)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobZ(IL)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked and loaded, but because of bad weather here, on a trailer again. See you all Wed. evening.
BMWMOA, CRBMWOA, ABC, K11OG #997

Live well, do good work, enjoy the ride.
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

Hey HMSP'ers...

Hope everyone is rolling in to HMSP today, tonight and tomorrow.. trailers or not.! As you saw in John's picture, we still have winter here, and today, high cold winds as well. Here in NH, the last week in April is always school vacation week, and as a grandparent our working children deposit their children with us for caregiving.. I'm sure other HM'riders have a similar situation, just one whose timing does not conflict with our annual HMSP event. This has caused a lot of consternation in this family... Next year however, a retired wife can watch over grandchildren and as Dr. King said.. I'll be ".. free at last.!"

Any of you who are not retired (most everyone I would guess) may not realize that even a better than average pension does NOT leave a lot of room for recreation, and motorcycling is certainly such an activity. Gas, oil, expert maintenance, replacement parts, all are more expensive for motorcycles than for auto's,, tires being most notable. This year my K failed inspection with two notes on the "rejection reciept"... 1) tires front and rear beyond wear limit.... 2) front brake rotors loose and must be replaced

OKOK.. I agree on the tires, both are well beyond the 9k marker..( est $400), more than I can afford before 1st quarter bills are paid,, BUT REALLY "loose rotors"?? I confirmed with Scott just how much "slop" is too much, then pulled one rotor to examine the spools and could find no wear.! Result is this will be the last time I go to this mechanic for inspection... Like all of you, I'd rather be riding than wrenching.! So beaucoup $$ saved by not needing rotors... but no denying need for new rubber front and rear..guess it'll have to wait.

I'll be thinking 'bout you guys/gals round the fire ring tonight, everyone ride safe!!

Best regards as always....... / Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived home safe and sound, no issues.

Hope you guys had fun today and got in a ride, I'll post post a video up of the Snake ride later on.
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather held out at HM until about 8:00pm before the rain started. They group of five die-hards hiked Molly Knob, and went to Pizza Perfect for a most excellent dinner with a non-crying waitress. Radar looks like the storm broke up quit a bit before it got here, hoping for dry trips home Sunday morning.
BobZ(IL)
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it home without issue, but rained a lot. Yay for the trailer. Great to see everyone again, really appreciate the help you all provided.
BMWMOA, CRBMWOA, ABC, K11OG #997

Live well, do good work, enjoy the ride.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Sunday HM folks got lucky.

It pissed and then rained for most of the 300 miles of Virginia I-81, maybe 20-30 miles after leaving Marion.

No problems with my drive Embarassed and home by 11:30pm.

Thanks everyone for all the great riding and LOTS of laughs.

See you all next year which will feel like 5 months from now.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
N41EF
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left HM at 8:30, home at 2:45pm. Rain from Marion to Bristol, then a few showers to Asheville, then sunshine from Asheville to home. For the record I already wrote my check for HMX to Jim, so yeas I'll see everyone in a year, that will fly by as usual.

Will post the few pictures I took later, looking forward to seeing the video and what pictures the rest of you took.

Time for a nap,

Chuck
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we did good.
Spent the night in Urbana IL after miles and miles of rain......
Then fresh start this morning with fog and overcast skies. On and off light rain till the last 60 miles which changed to heavy rain......
Definitely glad to be in the truck and not on 2 wheels......
Rolled in to home around 2:30 this afternoon.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
jpberens1994K1100RS
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: HM IX Reply with quote

Home safe.
Had everthing today. Thunder storm, then light rain for the first 85 miles.
Then the sun broke through and it was so worth it.
Had a first today. I always see. the signs saying to watch for falling rocks.
Near Pax W.V. on a long down hill stretch after a right hander, smack dab on the centerline
was an oddly round boulder about the height of a ktchen garbage can. Had to be dann near 30" tall. Glad I saw it. Sure would spoil anyone's day hitting that!
Bike ran fine and I pushed it between 77 and 85 the whole way home with a few stints of
90 -95 round Chicago. When in FIB land drive like em or get run over.
Also happy to see zero oil consumption on the new motor when I checked it after unpacking.
Keep on riding and posting.
Already looking forward to an epic HMX.
And yes, I will for sure ride the RS to that6.

Peace to all.
Stoked Steve
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, The Snake, in all it's HD glory.

Big Chuck is the main star of this one, nice riding...

https://youtu.be/wqPjOVtXuOs
12 Suzuki DL650A VStrom
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not so lucky...

The weather this year was great - I think the best we've ever had. No rain until about 8:00 PM Saturday - and no clouds and fog in the morning - it was clear every day. I had some rain on the way down 81, but nothing worth mentioning - the asshole drivers were far worse than the rain - as John will attest to.

The trip back - normally a 5.5 - 6.0 hour ride took me almost 9 hours. 81 was hot - and traffic was bad - really bad. I'm beginning to believe that parts of I-81 must be on top of Native American burial grounds. That highway is cursed.

I got off at Buchanan after a number of complete stops. Lots of trucks (of course) - doing what they do - passing on hills..., lots of RVs, and lots and lots of seemingly not too bright people out roaming around. One such noteworthy person was an Okie - for lack of a better term. Ragged pick up pulling a ragged trailer with all his ragged worldly belongings - which were not well secured to the trailer. I passed him before I got off 81 at Buchanan.

I passed him again after I got back on 81 at Staunton. In between, I had a great 81 mile ride up the BRP - only saw 8 vehicles north bound in 81 miles. 2 pulled off at overlooks, one was a Park Ranger (saw him twice - once as he pulled out of the station up the road ahead of me, and again as he later passed me southbound in hot pursuit of a black Buick), a couple more left the BRP, and I passed the others... The BRP was a super ride - no traffic to speak of, and it was much cooler up there. When I got the northern end of the BRP, weather looked bad to the east - so I did not head for Charlottesville. That would have been the preferred way back - and much faster than 81 and 66 turned out to be.

I decided to pass on the Skyline Drive - although maybe I should have taken it after the suckfest I got stuck in on 81. The speed limit on the Skyline Drive is 35 - and fairly well enforced. After I got back on 81, traffic was still jacked up - what a mess. A few more complete stops - lots of asshole semi drivers to deal with - not to mention the Okie - cruising along at about 45 to 50 miles an hour, dropping various items of not so well secured furniture from his trailer. Problem is, when trucks get lined up to pass someone going that slowly, the interstate eventually gets bogged down and comes to a halt...

HMSP was great! It was good to see everyone. Thanks to all for making a super human effort to attend.

A big thanks and a tip of the helmet to Chuck for grilling and other meal prep - and for rides to the grocery store, the auto parts stores, and the restaurant.

We missed you, Ernie! Sorry you couldn't make it.
Sean - I hope your temporary window worked well.

Looking forward to HMX - should have the K back by then... We'll see.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
abreeze
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys...
Great to see everyone this year. My adventure started Tuesday night before leaving! I had to put a new starter on, mount a rear tire after getting the kids down...It was going smooth till I noticed oil on my final drive wheel bolts!! the damn main seal was leaking. Not wanting to tempt fate, I decided to Borrow the 2.81 from my K75S!! 2 hours later(1:30 am) I was done!!

Finally made my way out of GA by 11am Wednesday!! HM-IX...hard to believe we've been doing this for 9 years now...not including the years we all were BS'ing on K11 before actually meeting!!

Weather was exceptional this year. Didn't need to pass one car on the parkway!!

It was a bit Odd with Shog not being there!! We love you Shog and missed seeing you!! But it gave us time to mess with Jim V. more!!

Jim needs a High chair!! Had to be there....

All the Pussies left on Saturday, leaving the real men to do the grueling hike up Molly Nob!! Chuck said it was 1000 stairs or something..2+ miles UP...but worth the time.

HMSP is really an awesome place to visit....so much to do..

Great time again.

Managed to do 987 miles riding only 3 days...just over 103500 miles on the Motorsport when I got home.

Hope to see everyone at HM-X

God Bless....
John Clauss
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to Disney with the family this past summer. Straight Down 81 we went and going South it was a pleasure. Cars stayed in the Right Lane and things moved along very well.

The Way home was a gigantic suckfest. At one point I clocked 43 miles of two truck side by side doing 50 mph at points going up the mountains. Cars stacked behind them, it was a nightmare. VA has a new law that they stress how much they enforce it. It is the Left lane for passing only. We passed 4 state troopers in those 43 miles and no lights, no issue. We spent 10 hours in VA alone on 81. It was awful.

In all my years I have never had a problem going South, all of my issues have been northbound.

It will bring you so close to nausea, it will make you sick! - Big Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Meetings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: