K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K1600GT review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: K1600GT review Reply with quote

In my thread about our MC trip around California, Flying Duck suggested that I do a write up about the bike itself.

First off, I recommend the company that I rented from- https://californiamotorcycleadventures.com/. The folks there were great to deal with. They were thorough with no B.S. It went very smoothly. They rent mostly Harleys but also have BMWs (K1600, R1200RT & 1200GS) and Hondas (Goldwings and ST1300)

The K1600GT that we rented had 44,000 miles on it but ran like new.

I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them again.

That out of the way, let me give you my thoughts on the bike.

Approaching the bike, it looks big, kind of like a 1200LT/1200GT size.

The rider's seat is adjustable from low/normal to high (not that high for me with a 35" 889cm inseam).

On start up, I would turn the key and the gauges did the modern full sweep of the speedo and tach and back down to zero.

I would hit the combo start/kill switch and the bike would start instantly.

This is a HEAVY bike. The sidestand would sink into gravel more than my K100RS. It is the heaviest bike I have ever pulled up onto a centerstand. Our previous C-14 Kawi Concours was easier.I nearly always put my K100 on the centerstand when stopped, so I am used to it but the 1600 is another story.

The side bags have more interior space than a K1100. They locked electronically with the key fob.

The ergonomics of the GT are very K1100LT-like (the specs say that the K1600GTL is even more upright in that the bars are further back and the pegs are further forward). Coming from an RS, the GT (what we rented) was too upright for me- but I have REALLY long arms. The K1600GT was butt uncomfortable after an hour or so.

The engine is amazing. THE most flexible MC powerplant I have ever experienced. It pulls well from 1500 in any gear and pulls HARD after 2000 or so. And it does so very smoothly.

The various electronics on this bike worked well, even after 44,000 miles. While the bike was stopped, I could select weight- solo, 2-up or 2-up with luggage (I think those were the choices) and if I was sitting on it I could feel it raise up or lower down when I changed the setting. Once underway I could choose damping- comfort, normal or sport. Comfort was great even in the twisties and it REALLY smoothed out the bumps.

The throttle is ride-by-wire (no cable) and has another adjustment while underway. The K1600 has computer controlled engine response but I didn't feel any unwanted computer intrusion. While riding there are 3 engine response settings- rain (100hp), road (160hp) and "dynamic" (same 160hp but faster throttle response). I left it in dynamic because it felt best there. Rain felt very weak, but loaded and with both of us aboard it was around 1000#/2200kg

But the weight really disappears once underway. This bike feels really good- of course I am comparing it to my current ride ('92 K100RS with suspension upgrades...oh and my former Concours)

Most of the riding was spent at 5-10 mph over and I was very surprised at how fuel efficient the K1600 was. Considering we had the top box and both side cases loaded and we were 2-up (quick addition- 735# wet bike plus about 350# people plus luggage- close to 1100# total).
We averaged 48-50mpg shown on the computer AND my own calculations.

While the engine was great, the transmission just went about getting the job done, nothing spectacular, nothing bad.

The bodywork does a good job of deflecting the wind. Even with the windshield in its lowest position, we had very few helmet bug hits. In that position, some wind did hit the upper portion of my helmet, but pressting the "up" switch would put us in a very quiet air pocket.
The 1600 does have movable air deflectors- look just above the BMW emblem. That grey piece pivots at the rear while the front part moves out to deflect wind up to the rider. They do make a difference.

While I do not ride in the dark back home due to LARGE animals on our roads, after dinner on the first night we had to ride in the dark for a while to get to where we were staying. The bike's center headlight works well in that it steers around the curve- it's an odd thing to get used to at first.

The bike does have a key fob that works to lock the bags and the little storage compartments on the lower part of the fairing as well as turning on the alarm. The lower right storage compartment also has a USB and an iPod connection.
Which brings me to the radio (my first experience with a radio that has dash speakers). At lower speeds the radio was useful but at highway speeds it was barely heard- something I tried then abandoned. Do you LT riders have the same results?

The left hand grip has that computer selector ring and after just a short time riding it really did become easy to use.

So that is what comes to mind after spending 3 days with the K1600GT. If the handlebars were a bit further away from me (long arms, remember?) I would seriously thinking about one for me. Not that I won't give one a second look soon.

Other questions? Post 'em.

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: K1600GT review Reply with quote

SugarHillCTD wrote:

This is a HEAVY bike. The sidestand would sink into gravel more than my K100RS. It is the heaviest bike I have ever pulled up onto a centerstand. Our previous C-14 Kawi Concours was easier.I nearly always put my K100 on the centerstand when stopped, so I am used to it but the 1600 is another story.

I gather that they(BMW) discontinued the motorized center stand?

SugarHillCTD wrote:

Which brings me to the radio (my first experience with a radio that has dash speakers). At lower speeds the radio was useful but at highway speeds it was barely heard- something I tried then abandoned. Do you LT riders have the same results?

Yep, if/when, I happen to be riding without helmet......btw is not often....I use the radio. Otherwise I don't even think about it with helmet on, I just plug my Ipod into my Sena and ride......

Sounds like a pretty stout bike. So did I miss something, is this one 4 or 6 cyl?

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

No motorized CS on this bike. I don't know about the GTL but I doubt it.
'
It is a 6 cylinder engine

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH: Interesting. Thanks.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, John. You and Cathy looked really comfy on that bike. What was Cathys review?

RE: stereo and speakers...I dropped in aftermarket speakers in my K1100LT and they were LOUD. No problem at all hearing them at highway speed even with earplugs in.
I also had Satellite radio and an IPod/MP3 hookup. (cassette adapter)

These were the speakers I dropped in. I had a different aftermarket pair previously, but they blew in short order.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: