K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member Hello from NC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: New Member Hello from NC Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm not only a new member but I am also new to the whole motorcycle world. I have actually been looking at and shopping for my first bike for about 10 years now. Yes, I said 10 years. Over the last 5 or 6 years I finally came to realize that I'm a BMW guy and the "Bricks" were where I wanted to start. But every time I found a bike I either chickened out or someone else got it before I could make up my mind. Well, not this time. Here is my new to me '93 K100LT. It has 45k on it but has been absolutely pampered...never down or dropped. It's amazing, the thing looks and runs like new. I am officially in love!

When I say I'm new, I mean NEW. I take the msf course next week. I have already purchased my gear. I know it's a big bike to start with but I'm confident in my physical and mental ability to handle it well. I'm in NC with plenty of great places to ride close by. Can't wait to get started! Hoping to be good enough for a longer trip this summer. Glacier National Park sure looks good! Look forward to getting to know you folks and learning, learning, learning.

carp
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I have the same year bike and the same color! Bought mine with 30,000 miles and now have 65,000. There are a lot of people on this site that know their k11's well and will be a big help. My advice to you is be careful in parking lots on long trips as this bike is top heavy with a load and if you get tired you need to pay attention or you might drop it. Don't ask me how I know.
SugarHillCTD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME!

Nice LT you have there.

Easy to ride, easy to maintain.

Hope you have many great rides!

John

'92 K100RS4V Pearl White SOLD
'04 K1200GT
IBA Several-SS1k, BBG, 50CC NYC to S.F.
whyoldbill
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Weatherman.
That is a beautiful bike you have there, congratulations.

The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funksmanship - George Clinton
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Thanks All Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice welcome and comments on the bike. One thing I forgot to mention about the bike. Well, 2 things actually. The ABS doesn't work. From what I have been reading here so far this could be a sorta minor fix. I am not a mechanic by any means so it may be more difficult for me. The guy I bought it from thinks it will be simple and he should know. He's from Germany and was working for the BMW plant when this bike was built. Also, no stereo code. There's a pretty good BMW dealer here so I guess I'll be able to get that fairly easily.

Thanks again!!
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Very sharp looking bike - unusual to find one that hasn't been down.

You push your luck even mentioning that!

How cool is it that you bought it from someone who worked in the factory - when it was built?

You've got the right idea about riding riding out west - incredible scenery and roads.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. You're right! I must learn to not tempt fate!

Yes, the seller actually worked in the factory when the bike was built. He basically bought it right off the assembly line. Ever since he has been meticulous about maintenance, safety and cosmetic care. And it sure shows. He has several other bikes and performance cars too and they are all spot on perfect. I spent a long time looking and waiting for just the right 1st bike for me. I think I really found it in this Brick and this seller. He didn't need the money. He just needed space for another new project. So, he had the luxury of being able to sell it to who he wanted to sell it too. Several people looked at it and offered his asking price. But he said there was something about me, my passion and the way I fit on the bike that made him chose me as the next owner. I was very lucky indeed!

So, I passed my MSF course and finished first in my class. As you all surely know, you learn on 250's in those classes but when the instructors learned I was a BMW guy, they at least put me on a similar style bike. That was nice and it's made a big difference. I also made a 100 on the written test at DMV so now I'm licensed, registered and legal.

I'm finally riding my new to me beautiful K11 and I must repeat....I'm in love! As I expected, it's a lot heavier than those 250's so I'm being extra careful when going slow or when stopped. I'm quickly getting used to the feel of the weight and how to handle it.

What I didn't expect was the ride. Even though I've read and heard a ton about how smooth these bikes are, you just can't know how lovely it is until you experience it for yourself. It helps that it is running absolutely perfectly. And compared to that 250? Well, you just can't really compare them. Unfortunately, winter decided to return to North Carolina this week so the Brick will have to remain in the garage for a few days. But soon.....oh so soon, we will meet again. Until then, I will think of little more.

Hope I get to see some of you out there this summer! Cool
sccommuter
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and nice bike. Be on the lookout for used mirrors. You'll probably need one eventually. Embarassed As there are those that have dropped this bike and those that are going to.
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sccommuter wrote:
Welcome and nice bike. Be on the lookout for used mirrors. You'll probably need one eventually. Embarassed As there are those that have dropped this bike and those that are going to.

Yikes! Sounds like the voice of experience.
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sccommuter wrote:

Oh how I sometimes hate it when people are right! Sure enough, I dropped it. Had a bit of a squirly stop on brick, sand and gravel area under repair. Thought I had it but when I stopped, I put my foot down which hit the sand and gravel and whoosh....no footing....down goes bike. Embarassed Damage to bike very minimal, just some scratches on the mirror and side bag. No damage to me physically but any ego I may have accumulated is long gone now!

Not sure if I learned anything to help me avoid that one. That sand and gravel was like an ice rink! I guess if I had known it was going to be there I could have gone a different rout.
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did BMW make 93 LTs in any color but Pine Green? (I have one too.)

A K1100LT is a lot of bike for a new rider. Not because it's superfast but because of how heavy and topheavy they are. As you seem to have found out, once it gets past its tipping point you're just along for the ride and, if you're lucky, you might be able to slow its descent. (Remember to use only the rear brake when going slowly.)

Congrats on the new bike. A K1100LT is a great sport touring bike.
86 K75C w/paralever, hi perf cams,TURBO!
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
IBA #17739 (SS1K, BBG, 50CC)
Buy parts HERE
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Hello all... And WELCOME NC !!

I have to echo what "Duck" had to say, but want to add that the chaotic and unforgiving traffic in/around Charlotte can very quickly turn a "new rider" into a "dead rider"... Though I'm from NH I have a lot of experience riding in Charlotte. As Duck said the K can be difficult for a new rider...so we DONT want to loose you now! Please be extra cautious and ride that new K very conservatively !!

Good luck, ride safe.. / Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie-NH wrote:
Very Happy

Hello all... And WELCOME NC !!

I have to echo what "Duck" had to say, but want to add that the chaotic and unforgiving traffic in/around Charlotte can very quickly turn a "new rider" into a "dead rider"... Though I'm from NH I have a lot of experience riding in Charlotte. As Duck said the K can be difficult for a new rider...so we DONT want to loose you now! Please be extra cautious and ride that new K very conservatively !!

Good luck, ride safe.. / Ernie in NH

Thanks Ernie and Duck for the words of advice and encouragement. I'm beginning to think that I may be one of those people that thinks they want to ride, but when they actually get a bike and start riding, they find that it's really just not for them. I havn't officially decided yet but I'm leaning that way now. So, there may be another K1100 (with a few new scratches) for sale soon. Stay tuned!
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end it's up to you whether or not you decide to ride but you might want to consider getting a bike that's more appropriate to learn on. It'll be lighter, more tolerant of nOOb mistakes and will allow you to develop riding skills more rapidly and safely.

A lot of people think they have to buy a big bike they'll own for years and years when they purchase their first bike. Buying a learner bike at first and developing skills before stepping up to something else after a year or so is a much better way to go and you end up becoming a better rider in the long run.

"You're buying your first bike, not your last one."

Edit: I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to have a K1100LT as a first bike. (Other than scary and intimidating.)
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
In the end it's up to you whether or not you decide to ride but you might want to consider getting a bike that's more appropriate to learn on. It'll be lighter, more tolerant of nOOb mistakes and will allow you to develop riding skills more rapidly and safely.

A lot of people think they have to buy a big bike they'll own for years and years when they purchase their first bike. Buying a learner bike at first and developing skills before stepping up to something else after a year or so is a much better way to go and you end up becoming a better rider in the long run.

"You're buying your first bike, not your last one."

Edit: I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to have a K1100LT as a first bike. (Other than scary and intimidating.)

Yep, it's a little scary and intimidating at times...mostly when going slow. Once I'm moving it is very comfortable, smooth and easy to handle. I really do love it. The other evening the weather was beautiful so I went for a little ride. It was close to 3 hours later when I finally made myself go home. What a joy that ride was. The next day is when I dropped it on that very slippery spot, all because I had no footing. I honestly think I might have dropped almost any bike it was so slick. That drop has brought us here.

Anyway, I am a 51 year old guy that's wanted a bike for years. I have always leaned towards the great BMW's for all the obvious reasons. My main desire was to do long distance touring/travel, not commute. Plus, I have many friends here on BMW's pushing me that way. Their advice was mixed but mostly that I should get the K and learn to ride it. It seems everyone has advice, from gear, to bikes, to riding tips...and everyone wants to tell the nightmare crash stories too.

To be honest, all the very different advice has gotten a little old. I'm not talking about you guys. It's local people that all seem to know it all and want to tell me their way is THE way. Harley guys, sport guys, Beemer guys....sheesh! I'm a pretty smart, professional guy able to make intelligent decisions. But I am lacking the experience I think I needed to truly make a confident 1st bike decision. In fact, I'm still not sure I made a bad decision. But you guys have got me thinking.

So, you all know the style of bike I like and the riding position I like and what I want to do....travel. Any suggestions as to what would be a good first bike for me if I decide to sell the K and get something else? I might even just put the K away while I learn on something else. Thoughts? Yes, after bitching about advice, I'm asking for more. Confused Sorry to be so long winded.
Scott_Anderson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I returned to riding after a 25yr hiatus the bike I started with was a 750cc Yamaha v-twin. I rode it for about 9mo before I got my 1st K1100LT.

I sold the Yamaha, but I honestly admit there are still some days I wish I still had it.......something smaller, lighter weight, more nimble for commuting.
I've considered a K75 for work commuting, but I leave home a little earlier and ride a little longer.

1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Garmin Zumo XT
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
1997 K1100LT 0302488(R.I.P.)
Flying Duck
PsyKotic Waterfowl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I wouldn't recommend one as they're still a bit heavy for a learner bike, but since you've already put some miles on the K11LT and seem to like K bikes, you might want to consider getting a K75 standard or K75C. A K75S would work too but if you like a more upright riding position then that wouldn't fit the bill. A K75RT, though not as bad as a K11LT, is still a bit topheavy.

You can also Google around for learner or beginner motorcycle and find some pretty common recommendations.

This is just personal bias since I owned one once but I had a Nighthawk 650 for a few years and found it to be a very easy and enjoyable bike to ride back when I didn't have many miles under my belt.
91 & 92 K75Ss
91 K1
86 custom K100
14 WR250R
Buy parts HERE
Weatherman2112
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Duck wrote:
Normally I wouldn't recommend one as they're still a bit heavy for a learner bike, but since you've already put some miles on the K11LT and seem to like K bikes, you might want to consider getting a K75 standard or K75C. A K75S would work too but if you like a more upright riding position then that wouldn't fit the bill. A K75RT, though not as bad as a K11LT, is still a bit topheavy.

You can also Google around for learner or beginner motorcycle and find some pretty common recommendations.

This is just personal bias since I owned one once but I had a Nighthawk 650 for a few years and found it to be a very easy and enjoyable bike to ride back when I didn't have many miles under my belt.

Interesting you mention a Nighthawk. When my instructor learned what bike I had he put me on a nighthawk to learn on rather that a cruiser style bike. It was a 250....too small but I could see 650 being pretty good. Thanks!
Ernie-NH
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good morning Weatherman...

After his MSF course,, I had my grandson start on a Buell 500 ! Lightweight, not top heavy, very easy to control, responsive, great on gas, low enough to get an average height rider's feet firmly on the ground when stopped,,and unlike BMWs, serviceable nearly anywhere where Harley's are serviced. The seating position is a bit 'bent forward' but not severe like other 'sport bikes', ( you can swap out the handle bars anyway if need be )... plus I had no problems to secure camping gear and all other stuff for longer trips. IF you see one on C/L, just go have a look and maybe a test ride, think it might impress you... and then in a year of Charlotte "high risk" riding, sell it for a "K" bike !! That's just my $0.02

Remember... ride conservatively, always create an escape route, avoid using the front brake, do not stop in neutral when in traffic, keep eye ALWAYS on the rearview... and be safe !!

Best regards....// Ernie in NH
'95 K1100LT
'76 R100/7
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Ernie. I take exception to your "avoid using the front brake".

I say never use the front brake on gravel, sand or any other loose or exceedingly slippery material. Other than that, the front and rear brakes need to be used together.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Campfire All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: