K11 Owners Group Forum Index K11 Owners Group
K11 Owners Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bellypans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k11pfc
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Bellypans Reply with quote

Has anyone had the experience of respraying a bellypan on a K1100rs? Mine has lots of stonechips and I really would like it to be as good as the rest of my bike. Did you do this yourself or pay someone to do it? Any advice will be appreciated.
2 k100rs's
2 K1200rs's
2 F650's
2 R1200gs's
1 K1200s's

Play up Pompey
Jim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least several people have sprayed or partially sprayed them with truck bed liner from a rattle can. The search button is your friend.
1992 K75RTP 46,000
1992 R100R 24,000 - FOR SALE

"We shall not all die, but we shall all be changed."

Last edited by Jim on Thu May 05, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
leecow
Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine helped his grandson spray the bed of a Jeep pickup and mentioned the process was fairly simple. About $150 for the material (don't know what brand he used) from a local auto paint supplier. Purchase included the correct sprayer for the job. Results were very good so I'll be enlisting his aid when the time comes to do the various bits I plan to coat.
granth
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really the answer you asked for,but here goes.
I have an Astral Blue K1100RS with a stonechipped Bellypan and thought of having it resrayed as the rest of the bike is excellent.I was quoted £200 to colour match it.
However I had some Hammerite Smooth blue mettalic brushing paint in the garage.....so I was tempted to try it.... whats to loose,it needs painting anyway.....and I was so pleased with the results it has stayed that way. The colour match is surprisingly good !The damage was mostly on the front lower section and underneath,so I left the upper part of the sides as they were.Just a thought. Idea
k11pfc
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granth wrote:
I have an Astral Blue K1100RS with a stonechipped Bellypan and thought of having it resrayed as the rest of the bike is excellent.I was quoted £200 to colour match it.
However I had some Hammerite Smooth blue mettalic brushing paint in the garage.....so I was tempted to try it.... whats to loose,it needs painting anyway.....and I was so pleased with the results it has stayed that way. The colour match is surprisingly good !The damage was mostly on the front lower section and underneath,so I left the upper part of the sides as they were.Just a thought. Idea

Thanks for that, I have now put a fenda extender on so am thinking along same lines tbh as its not really in eyeline is it? and like yours its only the front, so i thought of a good rub down, prime them spray using original BMW paint.

Regards

Phil
2 k100rs's
2 K1200rs's
2 F650's
2 R1200gs's
1 K1200s's

Play up Pompey
k11pfc
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granth wrote:

That £200 quote what were they gonna do with the graphics bit? just cover it?
2 k100rs's
2 K1200rs's
2 F650's
2 R1200gs's
1 K1200s's

Play up Pompey
granth
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k11pfc wrote:
granth wrote:

That £200 quote what were they gonna do with the graphics bit? just cover it?

Yes, graphics wus extra !
k11pfc
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a random conversation with a woman at work, turns out her husband is top sprayer in a bodyshop company, took it round to show him he quoted me £75!! spent 25 minutes colour matching it, (Marakesh red) he said it will look brand new and will be done properly. What a result. Apparently it has been sprayed before a different shade of red, when he showed me what to look for I saw it instantly.
2 k100rs's
2 K1200rs's
2 F650's
2 R1200gs's
1 K1200s's

Play up Pompey
granth
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like areal result.Hope it turns out great ! Very Happy
Jeeves
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k11pfc wrote:
granth wrote:

Thanks for that, I have now put a fenda extender on so am thinking along same lines tbh as its not really in eyeline is it? and like yours its only the front, so i thought of a good rub down, prime them spray using original BMW paint.

Regards

Phil
hey phil can someone out there tell me where i can hook up with someone to sell me some mystic red paint ??? i've tried a few places and they either don't sell to Canada or they don't have it,,,,help,,,would like to know as i might do a full paint job this next off season,,ps i've been licensed all year round for the past 4 years and get a fair bit of riding in through the winter as we are fairly moderate here,,,bought my k11 in march and just playing have put 4500 km on it,,and i don't ride in the rain,,,mostly no rain,,, Jeeves
k11pfc
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Jeeves.... http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en/shop-paints.php?colourscheme=933&244=on
2 k100rs's
2 K1200rs's
2 F650's
2 R1200gs's
1 K1200s's

Play up Pompey
Jeeves
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k11pfc wrote:
Here you go Jeeves.... http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en/shop-paints.php?colourscheme=933&244=on
thanks "k11pfc" i'll check with my paint guy and see how much i need and also the base,lacquer needs,,thanks again DJ
k11pfc
Mad Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as luck would have it I found a guy, quite by chance who is a sprayer by trade and is allowed to do his own little jobs during his breaks, so for £75 he done my Bellypan and it really does look the biz, only trouble now the BP looks brand new so the stonechips on other parts are standing out more, oh well bit by bit.

2 k100rs's
2 K1200rs's
2 F650's
2 R1200gs's
1 K1200s's

Play up Pompey
Jeeves
Big Brick Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k11pfc wrote:
Well as luck would have it I found a guy, quite by chance who is a sprayer by trade and is allowed to do his own little jobs during his breaks, so for £75 he done my Bellypan and it really does look the biz, only trouble now the BP looks brand new so the stonechips on other parts are standing out more, oh well bit by bit.

very nice indeed,,,however if it's not mystic red couldn't you just use a brush Very Happy
merlin geikie
Flying Brick Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K11pfc writes;
Quote:
it really does look the biz, only trouble now the BP looks brand new

Yeah you are SO right, looks like a bellypan with an old bike attached.. Wink ... Laughing ... Laughing

Looks very darn tasty Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    K11 Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: